What is the best value amplifier you can get for under about $400 that give overall the most good amp tone for your dollar? I realize this is highly opinion based, but what is your favorite value amp? Another way of saying I guess could be what is the Squire Classic Vibe or Epiphone Les Paul equivalent in the amp world?
It really depends on what kind of music you are trying to play, and whether or not you are playing in your bedroom or in a band situation. Are you asking as a hypothetical, or are you in the market for an amp for $400? If so, do you have a cabinet or will the amp have to be a combo, or will you need to purchase a cabinet? Value is very subjective, because there are a bunch of amps on the market that may be great for a blues player, but not for a metal guitarist.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
A good used one is always your best value. Lotta choices under $400

For more complete recommendations, give more complete info on what you are looking for and folks will chime in with relevant responses.

Budget- $400
3 favorite guitarists for tone?
New or used?
Gig or home use?
Nearest city?
Peavey JSX

Peavey 6505+

Marshall DSL401

Peavey Classic 30

Fender HRD (if you use pedals for dirt)

Vox AC15 (may be a few bucks more)

off of the top of my head. these would all be used prices, either combos, or just a head
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
In that price-range, you really just have to go with the amp that matches your sound, if any.

For me, the Line 6 Spider IV (15-150W) worked really well, and I've been playing it for about 3 years now.
It might not have tubes, it might not be a huge stack, but you won't get any of those for $400.

It's a decent, very sturdy amp with lots and lots of adjustability, after all this time I still don't know the menus inside out.
Quote by DragonBE
In that price-range, you really just have to go with the amp that matches your sound, if any.

For me, the Line 6 Spider IV (15-150W) worked really well, and I've been playing it for about 3 years now.
It might not have tubes, it might not be a huge stack, but you won't get any of those for $400.

It's a decent, very sturdy amp with lots and lots of adjustability, after all this time I still don't know the menus inside out.

Also Jet City Amplification. If you look used and know what to look for you can snag some great deals. Yes, you can get a reasonably good tube amp for $400.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 22, 2016,
Quote by gabrielmukobi
Another way of saying I guess could be what is the Squire Classic Vibe or Epiphone Les Paul equivalent in the amp world?

but those don't sell for $400 used, like decent valve amps do.

as other said, it depends on what style of music and how loud you play.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Definitely the Jet City amps. Especially the 2 channel ones. I've got the 22 with the depth mod, and it's far and away my favorite amp I've owned
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
When you find Kranks for that price they are the best in terms of construction and tone. As others have said, Jet City, anything Peavey, DSL401, Traynor, Fender Blues/Hot Rod series, Randall has some stuff, Carvin anything... Really on the used market there are so many great amps that it's hard to pick one as the best bargain.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
imo, why care about value? it's results we're after. if the tone kicks ass and you can afford it, then buy it. next metric we'll be tracking is the most efficient electrical consumption per kilowatt hour...
Last edited by ad_works at Jan 25, 2016,
TS - these hypothetical questions are really hard for people to answer. For one, it is very opinionated as you've stated. Two, is that value and tone are subjective. What might be great tone and value to me may not be a great value and tone to someone else.

If you are in the market for a new amp then please give us the required information to help you. If you are just generally curious and do not plan to buy an amp then....well.

Quote by ad_works
imo, why care about value? it's results we're after. if the tone kicks ass and you can afford it, then buy it. next metric we'll be tracking is the most efficient electrical consumption per kilowatt hour...

Not sure I'm following you here. Isn't 'results' part of the value equation? I get what you are trying to say though which is essentially what I'm saying. If it sounds good to someone and that someone can afford it then bam. There's your answer. Also, I'm not an EE but I think that all amps draw current in the same way (unless you are using a variac or something to alternate it). Maybe I missed your point there.
I dont think you can dollar number on value if its your perception on tome that really matters. I think thats what ad_works is saying. I like my Mesas and Peavey but really want a Engl because I think they have the sound I am really after. I won't argue price much because it's truly what I like. Its just my bank account doesn't agree with me.
for me my best bang for the buck amp hands down my Carvin V3m ..... followed by my Peavey Classic 30 ....... the Peavey C30 I bought used for 350.00 is a work horse and takes pedals great , the V3m I bought under 500.00 new for a floor model but requires a cab the Peavey didn't , I still Like the Carvin for the money and the Carvin is what I consider my 3rd best amp overall after my Mesa MK V and my number 1 favorite is my Dual Recto but they aren't very cheap
Well I am in the market for an amp; I just asked this question to try to broaden my horizons of what people consider to be good.

My situation is that I have a budget of $400 for an amp to mainly play blues, 70s-80s rock, and fusion that can get over a drummer yet still sound good at home volumes, and I'm fine with buying used. I don't have a cab already so I need a combo or a lower priced head to save some for a cab. My favorite players' tones are Robben Ford, SRV, Santana, Satriani, Clapton, and Knopfler. Hope that helps.
Last edited by gabrielmukobi at Jan 25, 2016,
Quote by gabrielmukobi
Well I am in the market for an amp; I just asked this question to try to broaden my horizons of what people consider to be good.

My situation is that I have a budget of $400 for an amp to mainly play blues, 70s-80s rock, and fusion that can get over a drummer yet still sound good at home volumes, and I'm fine with buying used. I don't have a cab already so I need a combo or a lower priced head to save some for a cab. My favorite players' tones are Robben Ford, SRV, Santana, Satriani, Clapton, and Knopfler. Hope that helps.

Where do you live Gabriel?
I'm in the Portland, OR area. As for my current gear, I have a Les Paul style guitar that can coil tap to get single coil-ish sounds, and my amp is a cheap 10w Marshall MG-10 solid state combo. I have a Boss DS-1 for gain sounds because that amp's drive channel really sucks.
Quote by gabrielmukobi

Fender Carvin Mesa. A used Mesa Studio 22 might be found for $400 and all your favorite players are in there. A Classic 30 is also good with a bit more British voice.

Bingo, we have a winner! Try it then buy it.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/msg/5413639367.html
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 25, 2016,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Fender Carvin Mesa. A used Mesa Studio 22 might be found for $400 and all your favorite players are in there. A Classic 30 is also good with a bit more British voice.

Bingo, we have a winner! Try it then buy it.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/msg/5413639367.html

+1

That is a great buy. I'd do that in a heartbeat Gabriel. Get rid of that DS-1 too and replace it with an overdrive pedal like a SD-1 or a Tubescreamer. Your tone will improve 150%.

Here are some other things to consider but mainly only for comparison as that Mesa is a great way to go - it is just a bit of distance to get to it.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/msg/5416411207.html Peavey Classic 30
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/5404507962.html Roland Jazz Chorus
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/msd/5413705851.html Egnater Tweaker
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/5399876924.html Fender Hot Rod
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/msg/5376534984.html Vox Night Train
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/5401871412.html Carvin X100B (needs cab)
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/5410957465.html Peavey Delta Blues

There is also a Marshall DSL 100 head but it is $500. A 40/50w DSL combo would work too. I see a Fender Pro red knob as well but I don't know much about those. There is also a Marshall Class 5 but it doesn't have a clean channel - that I am assuming you would need.

Check out some used amps at Guitar Center, or similar and your mom and pop shops.

Good luck,
Ive seen Mesa F30 and DC30 combos pop up now and then around $400-500 if you can save up.