I am setting up my Gibson ES-335. It has a tune-o-matic style bridge. I googled how to set appropriate truss rod relief (it said to put a capo on the first fret, and to fret the last fret (22nd fret), and on the 12th fret there should be room for a guitar pick/cardstock to fit between the fret and the string).

My issue is that I can't get a desirable action after this. I am using 10-52s in Drop D, and if I lower my string any I get buzz, but there's roughly 2.88mm of space between the low E and the top of the 12th fret (measured by stacking guitar picks on top of each other because I don't have a mm ruler).

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: I attached some pictures, both are the current action. If I measure the relief with capo on 1 and fretting 22, it's slightly smaller than my 1.14 dunlop picks, and if I capo 1, and fret the heel fret, it holds a .6mm pick.
Last edited by Matt Chavie at Jan 22, 2016,
2.88mm is pretty good, you want lower than that? 10-54 is rather thick for Drop D and could be the reason.
Quote by dthmtl3
2.88mm is pretty good, you want lower than that? 10-54 is rather thick for Drop D and could be the reason.

Not really on a 24.75" scale.

Here is what i do: fret the 1st and 17th and check the 9th. i have mine maybe a little bit under the thickness of a business card.

Also, remember not to adjust more than a 1/4 turn at one time. Also, sometimes it takes a little bit of time for it to set.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Matt Chavie
I am setting up my Gibson ES-335. It has a tune-o-matic style bridge. I googled how to set appropriate truss rod relief (it said to put a capo on the first fret, and to fret the last fret (22nd fret), and on the 12th fret there should be room for a guitar pick/cardstock to fit between the fret and the string).

My issue is that I can't get a desirable action after this. I am using 10-54s in Drop D, and if I lower my string any I get buzz, but there's roughly 2.88mm of space between the low E and the top of the 12th fret (measured by stacking guitar picks on top of each other because I don't have a mm ruler).

What am I doing wrong?

You have far too much neck releif. Guitar picks are way too thick for the amount of releif a neck really needs. You only need about 0.5mm and much more than that starts being a hindrance to playability more than being helpful.

2.88mm is very high. I'd expect that kind of action on a bass guitar and even then, that's still a bit higher than what the average bass player can get away with.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 22, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You have far too much neck releif. Guitar picks are way too thick for the amount of releif a neck really needs. You only need about 0.5mm and much more than that starts being a hindrance to playability more than being helpful.

woah. shit. yea. i thought he was talking about string height, not the height under the string with the capo and 22nd fret.

use a business card for a ballpark. i am too lazy to do mine with feeler gauges.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Tony Done
I set my relief from the 1st to the heel fret, and business card thickness or a bit less at the 6th fret, eyeballed, not measured. Action height at 2.5 mm at the heel fret bass side, 1.6mm at the treble side. That may be a bit high for some, it depends what you like.

And you get no fret buzz? How do you do it?
Quote by Matt Chavie
If we think 10-52's are too big, what would be a better gauge, like 9-46? And I referenced this video when setting up the relief

Unfortunately there's no consensus on whether one should measure relief using the first and last fret or the first and the fret where the neck joins the heel. And yet it does make a difference.

I thought you were using a 54? It comes down to preference of course. How are the strings sitting in the nut btw, especially that lowest string? If you want to stay with 10s I wouldn't go past 50 on the low D. And if you want to switch to 9s, 9-46 sound good or a 48 for the low D. Just my opinion of course.
Quote by dthmtl3
And you get no fret buzz? How do you do it?

I don't get any fret rattle. My frets are carefully levelled, apart from that I don't do anything special. I use the same measurements on acoustic, with 13-56 strings, and electric with 10-46 in open E. 10-54 should be OK for drop D, IMO.
Quote by dthmtl3
Unfortunately there's no consensus on whether one should measure relief using the first and last fret or the first and the fret where the neck joins the heel. And yet it does make a difference.

I thought you were using a 54? It comes down to preference of course. How are the strings sitting in the nut btw, especially that lowest string? If you want to stay with 10s I wouldn't go past 50 on the low D. And if you want to switch to 9s, 9-46 sound good or a 48 for the low D. Just my opinion of course.

You read correctly, but I meant to type 52.

I was told a few days ago that if I get a ping before I tune up to the correct note that the nut might be too tight, is this true? The strings seem to sit in the nut fine, and the guitar has been setup with this gauge before.
Last edited by Matt Chavie at Jan 22, 2016,