=r ... and yes, i did read the stickies.

Here is what have for a computer: 12gb ram, i7 processor, 2tb hard drive, windowns 10 64bit

I am using a Focusrite Saphire 2i4 for an interface.

and Reaper 64bit

KRK 6" monitors (got them for $130 for the pair) i know that they are not the greatest.

and an SM57.

i also have a microKORG synth.
____

beginning of questions.

so far, i have my interface running with my reaper. what do i do to add my synth (what cables do i need)?

what is a good drum program? could i use my synth to 'play' the drums?

what would you recommend for a controller (OR would my synth do that)?

i would like to have a thing that i could use a thing that has the pads on there for the drums. what would you recommend? or would my synth be best?

____

what would be the most logical next step?

i am considering using the "native instruments komplete 10" would that be a wise move? what would i use with that? a controller would be ideal. from what i understand is that the komplete 10 would cover the drum sims, as well as the synth??? right ?

what controller would you recommend for this? (would my synth do it???)

____

what would you recommend for a second reasonably priced mic for me? at this point i am not doing vocals, I am most concerned with getting a mic to to mic guitar amps.

____

what would you recommend for bass? i have a shitty bass, and a deent genz benz 200watt amp that has 2x10"s and a tweeter. would i be better off using a sim for the bass? if so, what would you recommend?

____

what am i missing? i am sure there is a lot.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Hello, trashedlostfdup!
1) To connect your synth you will need a two 1/4 mono jack cables. Simply plug in your R and L outputs from Korg to 1/2 inputs of Sapphire (stereo). If you want mono signal, use just L (marked also as mono) output from synth and one of two interface inputs. If working in stereo, remember to pan inputs left/right in your DAW.
Another way of connecting synth to computer is using midi cable between microKORG and interface. With this method you can use it as a virtual instrument controller.
2) For drums I recommend Toontrack EZDrummer 2 and expansions. Easy to use with intelligent beat-maker and fully compatible with every controller. Komplete is very good bundle, but ask yourself - do you really need all of these 12,000 sounds, 39 instruments?... Start with something less complicated and... pricey!
3) Mics... for guitar? legendary SM57. Or SM58 - built like a tank, almost indestructible. Condenser microphone (like Samson, MXL) is also great, for home recordings even more universal.
4) Free VST is your answer. You Can also mic your cab and get di signal, that way you will have more mix options later.

If you have any questions I will answer them with pleasure,
Cheers!
Mikolaj
Session Guitarist / Reviewer
Marshall & Fender Fanboy
Quote by Mikolay
Hello, trashedlostfdup!
1) To connect your synth you will need a two 1/4 mono jack cables. Simply plug in your R and L outputs from Korg to 1/2 inputs of Sapphire (stereo). If you want mono signal, use just L (marked also as mono) output from synth and one of two interface inputs. If working in stereo, remember to pan inputs left/right in your DAW.
Another way of connecting synth to computer is using midi cable between microKORG and interface. With this method you can use it as a virtual instrument controller.
2) For drums I recommend Toontrack EZDrummer 2 and expansions. Easy to use with intelligent beat-maker and fully compatible with every controller. Komplete is very good bundle, but ask yourself - do you really need all of these 12,000 sounds, 39 instruments?... Start with something less complicated and... pricey!
3) Mics... for guitar? legendary SM57. Or SM58 - built like a tank, almost indestructible. Condenser microphone (like Samson, MXL) is also great, for home recordings even more universal.
4) Free VST is your answer. You Can also mic your cab and get di signal, that way you will have more mix options later.

If you have any questions I will answer them with pleasure,
Cheers!
Mikolaj

first off, thanks!

i understand the process of recording it.

what would it do as a controller? what cable do i need?

thanks for the drum rec.

Komplete comes with drum things, doesn't it? i would just rather drop the money once and be good until the next millennium. it seems to cover everything i would need/want.

could you recommend a few decent mic's under $150 (a piece)? i need a condenser for sure, and all i have atm is a sm57.

regarding bass, what would i have to do? (i am really new to recording and the like). what would be a good VST for a bass?

again, thanks!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
what would it do as a controller? what cable do i need?

For basic functions you can use single MIDI Cable like this: https://en.muzyczny.pl/148683_Adam-Hall-3-Star-Series-MIDI-Cable-15-m-black.html . Just plug MIDI OUT from Korg to MIDI IN on Focusrite. If You want fully-functional connection then use two cables. (IN-OUT, OUT-IN) - I'll recommend using this option - less can go wrong ))

Komplete comes with drum things, doesn't it? i would just rather drop the money once and be good until the next millennium. it seems to cover everything i would need/want.

Yes. KOMPLETE comes with STUDIO DRUMMER, ABBEY ROAD I 60s DRUMMER and WEST AFRICA kit (drums).

could you recommend a few decent mic's under $150 (a piece)? i need a condenser for sure, and all i have atm is a sm57.

For that price - Audio Technica 3035. Gets 5/5 stars in almost every home-budget-studio reviews and comes with shockmount. Take a look also at Samson C01 mic, stup*d cheap - $69.00 for new. I have three of them and use sometimes as overheads - sounds really great!

regarding bass, what would i have to do? (i am really new to recording and the like). what would be a good VST for a bass?

Amplitube 4 - fairly new VST from IK Multimedia. One of the most-advanced guitar and bass modelling software. It has AMPEG, G/K, MESA and other really great amp simulations.

For free plugins go to this topic https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522593 .

Cheers!
Session Guitarist / Reviewer
Marshall & Fender Fanboy
im[
Quote by Mikolay
For basic functions you can use single MIDI Cable like this: https://en.muzyczny.pl/148683_Adam-Hall-3-Star-Series-MIDI-Cable-15-m-black.html . Just plug MIDI OUT from Korg to MIDI IN on Focusrite. If You want fully-functional connection then use two cables. (IN-OUT, OUT-IN) - I'll recommend using this option - less can go wrong ))

Yes. KOMPLETE comes with STUDIO DRUMMER, ABBEY ROAD I 60s DRUMMER and WEST AFRICA kit (drums).

For that price - Audio Technica 3035. Gets 5/5 stars in almost every home-budget-studio reviews and comes with shockmount. Take a look also at Samson C01 mic, stup*d cheap - $69.00 for new. I have three of them and use sometimes as overheads - sounds really great!

Amplitube 4 - fairly new VST from IK Multimedia. One of the most-advanced guitar and bass modelling software. It has AMPEG, G/K, MESA and other really great amp simulations.

For free plugins go to this topic https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522593 .

Cheers!

1. what would i do with a midi in and out of my korg? what would i do plugging it in stereo ins on my interface? sorry, i have no idea.

2. i think KOMPLETE is what i want to do. i can wait a bit.

3. thanks for the mic recs.

4. are there any free VST's for a bass that would do well? i have no desire for insane bass impulses, just cheap and workable. it sounds dumb, but (and this is a technique fault) i play bass like a guitar. i just want something that will get the job done.

5. thanks for the link!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
im[

1. what would i do with a midi in and out of my korg? what would i do plugging it in stereo ins on my interface? sorry, i have no idea.

The stereo would run OUT of your Korg IN to your interface.

The midi connection running OUT of your Korg and IN to your interface would send MIDI information from your Korg to your interface (and on to your DAW). Assigning that input to a track in your DAW will allow you to record MIDI information to that track.

NOTE that MIDI does not send an audio signal it sends MIDI data only. No sound is sent via MIDI.

MIDI data contains things like what note you pressed, exactly when you pressed it, how long you pressed it, on some controllers how hard you pressed it, whether you applied the mod wheel etc. The information about what you pressed is recorded, NOT the sound.

If you record the midi input in a track in your DAW then you will see a visual representation of what you played - often on a piano roll. You can then go in and change almost any aspect of any single note whether it be pitch, timing, note length, velocity, attack, etc etc with absolute ease!! It's pretty awesome.

As the midi does not send sound the only way to record the actual sound of your Korg is to through the stereo output. The stereo output sends a stereo audio signal (the sound).

Once you have MIDI in your computer and you want to play it back you can use the virtual instruments on your computer to provide the sounds. But if you want the sound from your Korg then you will need to send the MIDI information OUT of your computer interface and IN to your Korg. The Korg will apply the sound patches to the MIDI information it receives and send an audio signal out over the stereo out back to your interface where it can be recorded on your DAW and monitored through your connected monitors.

So for the most freedom you will connect all three connections
KORG MIDI OUT--->INTERFACE MIDI IN

INTERFACE MIDI OUT--->KORG MIDI IN

KORG STEREO OUT--->INTERFACE STEREO IN

INTERFACE MAINS STEREO OUT--->MONITORS

That's how I understand it anyway. If anyone that knows more than me wants to correct me then go ahead.

MIDI allows you to play all your virtual instruments using your Korg as a MIDI controller.

On many instruments you also have a MIDI THRU jack. I don't know how that works exactly...I just know it's used for connecting multiple MIDI instruments in a chain.

Quote by trashedlostfdup

4. are there any free VST's for a bass that would do well? i have no desire for insane bass impulses, just cheap and workable. it sounds dumb, but (and this is a technique fault) i play bass like a guitar. i just want something that will get the job done.

Aren't there any cheap and workable one's included in the DAW? I don't know the DAW you are using. I know that there are some fairly cheap virtual bass instruments out there - not sure about free.
Si
$130 for a pair of KRK 6inch is an amazing deal. I have the 5s, and i got a seismic audio 10in sub for extended low end. If you position them right, they are actually fantastic. I stopped putting my krks on their stands and put them right on my desk; ever since then, my mixes have been translating better than ever, and my first run through a mix has fewer mistakes / problems.

For bass, tse BOD plus lepou with some free ampeg cab vsts. Youll prob need to do use some heavy eq and comp to balance the bass out. But ive gotten strong results with that chain!

I dont do anything with synths or external midi.

Ezdrummer 2 is amazing. I love it
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Don't knock the KRK 6s. Nick Wollage uses the Rokit 8s when recording. and he has some of the best monitoring available to him to use (he's the in house engineer at AIR)
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
KRKs are godawful. Get the Yamaha HS series instead, fantastic for their price points. KRKs sound like cheap cardboard.

For bass I wouldn't really bother, just put compression and eq, if you really need to maybe an IR loaded and get some freeware bass cab emulations.
Last edited by diabolical at Jan 25, 2016,