Page 1 of 2
I found this on FB:

http://thebodyisnotanapology.com/magazine/when-yes-doesnt-mean-yes-david-bowie-consent-and-accountability/

I don't know what to make of it.

This part in particular seems contradictory and pulled out of someone's ass:
David Bowie and his peers could have had sexual rampages with women who were not freshmen in high school. The reason they didn’t has to do with the manifestation of power and impunity through surreal amounts of white male privilege in combination with status and wealth. Their success relied on their teenage audience, and therefore the romanticizing of their predatory behavior.

So... Bowie and co. could have sex with underage girls, and their success relied on romanticizing sexual predatory behavior, but didn't because of white male privilege?

What.

This whole article is confusing to me.

Have I closed my bubble too much or does this also not make sense to you guys?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Ok, reading it again,
women who were not freshmen in high school
means women other than highscool freshmen, not women who were younger than highschool freshmen, right?

Woops

(still weirded out by the "white male privilege" part)
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Jan 22, 2016,
Bowie was also queer so i think that cancels out the white privilege, but he's still male so he's still a shitlord i believe

seriously though, stop reading things on facebook, 95% of facebook posts are pure shit
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by Bladez22
Bowie was also queer so i think that cancels out the white privilege, but he's still male so he's still a shitlord i believe

seriously though, stop reading things on facebook, 95% of facebook posts are pure shit

Solid advice
Quote by ErikLensherr
Is this that guitar teacher dude whose articles everyone used to hate here on UG?
No just some self-love #inspiration from your link
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Bowie had a sexual relationship with a 13 year old. So yeah
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Poorly written article is poorly written.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
^ Also yeah, that's a given.
So... Bowie and co. could have sex with underage girls, and their success relied on romanticizing sexual predatory behavior, but didn't because of white male privilege?

The writer's explaining the lack of public accountability I think. Rock stars were perceived as these cultural idols for whom men could act out fantasies through.

I'm just glad the 80s are over. I don't think we should lambaste a dead man for something he did over 40 years ago.

Basically the other article you linked seems to be way better.

Decades before Drake dissed Tyga for dating 17-year-old Kylie Jenner, and R. Kelly faced multiple allegations of having sex with minors, the most visible rock stars in the world blithely made it with girls who were barely out of junior high school. It was all glorified in the pages of a glossy magazine called Star, which reveled in the underage groupie scene for five issues. Other publications, such as the rock ‘n’ roll bible Creem, flicked at the Sunset Strip doings without so much as a wagged finger. Hell, in 1973, a leisure-suited Tom Snyder devoted an entire show to interviews with some of LA’s highly desired teenage groupies.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jan 22, 2016,
It's kind of a given that Facebook deifies Bowie and Tumblr gets into an absolute shitfit over him right after he dies
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
i'm not going to read an article from a site with a name like that
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
as a rule, never take seriously anyone with "white privilege" on their lips. 10 times out of 10, the person making the statement is just as racist as the people they say are racist, they just refuse to admit it.
Quote by vikingman369
as a rule, never take seriously anyone with "white privilege" on their lips. 10 times out of 10, the person making the statement is just as racist as the people they say are racist, they just refuse to admit it.

insightful & incisive commentary here folks
Quote by vikingman369

iirc Bowie didn't actually break the UK's underage laws tho, the girl was at the age of consent and said she was older, also Bowie was only 22 at the time. I'm not saying that he's 100% innocent, but everything taken into account, I don't think he was a bad person

that's assuming they're even talking about that
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
White male privelege is the fact we are superior in most aspects and managed to control and oppress most of the world despite being ourselves, a minority.
Quote by vikingman369
as a rule, never take seriously anyone with "white privilege" on their lips

phrasing
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by EndTheRapture51
White male privelege is the fact we are superior in most aspects and managed to control and oppress most of the world despite being ourselves, a minority.
Doesn't the "acknowledgement" that men are superior mean that women are inferior?

SJWs...

Yeah, equality is cool and necessary, but people should understand we're different and some are more capable at some stuff than others.
I typed this because I felt the need to explain or defend myself from the first sentence, and now I feel icky and raped because society forced me to.
Quote by Minicaxotinho
Yeah, equality is [...] necessary,.
Is it?
ha-haaa
Lyle is a SJW
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Lame premise.

In the late 60s-70s everybody was doing everybody. It wasn't a white thing. A whole lotta underage girls were part of the scene in Hollywood, Memphis, Motown, The NBA, Harlem, Nashville, San Francisco, and on and on. There were certainly laws in place but if nobody pressed charges cops looked the other way. It's a different world today.

Wilt Chamberlin, Jerry Lee Louis, Chuck Berry, Ike Turner, Elvis...
thats social justice imperialism
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
this just popped up in my feed and I can't help but find it relevant

ha-haaa
Hmm, why don't bands all tour in Japan so they can smash that underage poontang legally? Or is it the illegality that makes it sexy for them?
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Bladez22
iirc Bowie didn't actually break the UK's underage laws tho, the girl was at the age of consent and said she was older, also Bowie was only 22 at the time. I'm not saying that he's 100% innocent, but everything taken into account, I don't think he was a bad person

that's assuming they're even talking about that

And there is a reason why certain crimes are indictable only.

Tip: it is to prevent people accusing others with very serious crimes with no real grounds.

Also having completed the age of 13 enables the person to give consent.

Accusing someone with rape without any grounds is as serious as the crime of rape itself.
Quote by arcanom
Mint and chocolate shouldnt be togather.
"Literally Worst Post of 2k16" approved by After Eight Lovers...
Quote by Nero Galon
Hmm, why don't bands all tour in Japan so they can smash that underage poontang legally? Or is it the illegality that makes it sexy for them?

Age of consent is 16-18 in Japan depending on which province you're in just like every developed nation, so I don't see why theyd go through the trouble
Quote by vikingman369

Someone who looks up to vikings denying white privelege as a concept, thats gold
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Age of consent is 16-18 in Japan depending on which province you're in just like every developed nation, so I don't see why theyd go through the trouble

It ranges from 13-18.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
It ranges from 13-18.

Nope. 13 is national, but literally none of the prefectures (which is the word I was looking for, not provinces) have it set that low.

There is no place in Japan you can legally have sex with a 13 year old.

Also everyone please Google "age of consent in Japan" right now, the result is fucking hilarious
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Also everyone please Google "age of consent in Japan" right now, the result is fucking hilarious

Also, on that whole "why not go to another country to have sex with minors", that's still illegal. You can still be prosecuted for that. And obviously that's not a solution if someone's having sex with minors. Like it's not suddenly ethical because you boarded a plane.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jan 22, 2016,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Weapons of mass deconstruction

good post
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Nothing interesting is showing up for me
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Nope. 13 is national, but literally none of the prefectures (which is the word I was looking for, not provinces) have it set that low.

There is no place in Japan you can legally have sex with a 13 year old.

It's of no concern to me really, but I know that no matter what the "legal" age is, a gaijin better watch out, because they will NOT cut you any slack on any of the laws. Japan is an awesome place, but not the place to be getting stupid.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Minicaxotinho
Nothing interesting is showing up for me

there's a picture of Glenn Howerton aka Dennis Reynolds above all the results
^ Oh that didn't show up for me before.

(And I didn't know about that character so, meh... )

Thanks for explaining tho
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Jan 22, 2016,
Page 1 of 2