Quote by Aeternal
https://youtu.be/qpn-3e-YNCU?t=1m50s

At that part, is JP really using strict alternate picking?

It is really, really fast to keep that down-up-down-up motion with the string changes.

I don't recall that solo in particular, but at least the infamous arpeggios in "Glass Prison" are played with strict alt picking. He's just a really good guitarist, that's all. (And yes, he's also a great songwriter and plays beautiful, emotional solos, stop calling him out on that)
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
I don't recall that solo in particular, but at least the infamous arpeggios in "Glass Prison" are played with strict alt picking. He's just a really good guitarist, that's all. (And yes, he's also a great songwriter and plays beautiful, emotional solos, stop calling him out on that)

I love him, and totally agree with you. He is the best all around guitar player.

The link of the solo is in my first post, i'd love to know your opinion.
Quote by Aeternal
I love him, and totally agree with you. He is the best all around guitar player.

The link of the solo is in my first post, i'd love to know your opinion.

As far as I see, he alt picks everything there. Not my favorite guitar solo from him, but still very impressive. I know he can do it since he pulls it off in other solos as I said, so yeah I think he does strictly alternate pick that.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Yup. I mean, you can see what he's doing in the video. Alt picking, for sure. Like the vast vast vast majority of his fast work.

Also, yeah, that live version of Hollow Years is among his greatest work. Absolutely chilling.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
It is all alternate picking, Petrucci is the master of it. Just start slow and build up to the correct speed with a metronome, it's all you can do really.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb