is it possible to play all the guitar techniques on acoustic? I am currently learning symphony of destruction by megadeth.i've got all the riffs down.but can't really nail the solo.is it even possible to shred on acoustic?
Note that i am trying to shred for the first time.so any tips regarding that would be helpful.
I've never been able to shred on acoustic. Part of it is that I can't shred in general, part is that I find I can't move as fast on acoustic strings as electric. If you try hard enough I'm sure it's possible (I mean, listen to Spanish Fly by Van Halen, Eddie friggen rips), but in general you'll want to eventually upgrade to an electric for Rock and Metal. It's just easier to play on, and you can work with distortion
^ yeah. if you're crazy good you might be able to do it, but if you're just starting out you're making it harder on yourself than it needs to be. and it's not like marty friedman solos are easy even on an electric.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
okay.can you guys suggest me some songs to learn how to shred?should i make a new thread for this?
More difficult for sure but possible. A guitar is a guitar and has the same notes and chords whether it's acoustic or electric. If you can learn something on acoustic, it will be easy to play on electric; kinda like practicing your baseball swing with the donut on the bat and then taking that extra weight off before you step up to he plate.
to be fair, there are some things on electric that i'd say are pretty much impossible to do on an acoustic
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Latin and flamenco players go in for their own kind of shredding (eg Gab and Rod), and Yngwie plays a nylon string guitar sometimes. So I would say, yes it is entirely possible, but I would be looking to do it on a nylon string, not a steel string.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jan 24, 2016,
Quote by Dave_Mc
to be fair, there are some things on electric that i'd say are pretty much impossible to do on an acoustic

I still can't play pinch harmonics on an acoustic no matter how hard I try
Quote by teleobrien

What strings are you using?
Quote by slade364
What strings are you using?

John Pearse Phosphor Bronze Lights. I mean, I don't usually use a pick so it's not a technique I need to use, just something I play with sometimes
Quote by Tony Done
^^^^ Have you tried touching the string with your index and plucking with the ring finger? It works for me, or rather would if I practiced it more.

I've actually done that once or twice on accident but I can't perfect it. It'd be a pretty cool technique if I can get it down
Electric and acoustic can switch techniques around a lot. Just takes a lot of practice to switch around. Certainly, some things are simpler on one or the other, but passion and practice will overlook the divide a lot.
Quote by teleobrien

i can "do" them on an acoustic but they don't sound anything like they do on a distorted electric, either.

also things like whammy bar tricks, things way up the fretboard etc. are difficult if not impossible to replicate or even emulate on an acoustic.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by intesers
is it possible to play all the guitar techniques on acoustic? I am currently learning symphony of destruction by megadeth.i've got all the riffs down.but can't really nail the solo.is it even possible to shred on acoustic?
Note that i am trying to shred for the first time.so any tips regarding that would be helpful.
It all boils down to what you mean by, "shred". If you mean "play a shit load of notes real fast, then the answer is "yes".

An acoustic guitar can be set up to provide rapid playing capability.

However, what you're going to get out of it is acoustic sound.

For me, "shredding" entails playing the amp and the effects as well as the notes. EVH certainly couldn't do all those harmonic chimes, unless the guitar was on the verge of feeding back, ditto for pinch harmonics, and a bunch of other gain, sustain, and distortion techniques only possible on the electric guitar.

Even Rodrigo y Gabriella, who pay homage to several metal guitarists, don't really sound like "shredders", they sound like flamenco guitarists having fun in their own style, with music they enjoy.

So, in those contexts, no you really can't, "shred", with an acoustic guitar.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 26, 2016,
^ yeah, that's pretty much what i meant.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's when electric-acoustic is in play that the boundaries are muffled too much. On a side note, mic effects might work for a pure acoustic for shredding ^.^
Quote by Captaincranky
Although,

I suppose we could toss this monstrosity into the "whammy bar" mix...

lol

i know you're only joking, but for anyone reading, i'm not sure a bigsby can do the kind of tricks a floyd rose can, even when on an electric.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, that's pretty much what i meant.

Me too. I was assuming that "shredding" implied any fast "bravura"style as the Latins call it, rather than a strictly metalhead approach.

I'm thinking of putting this in my sig:

"Shredding is to music what speed typing is to literature". HTH