Hey Guys,

I'm looking to get back into guitar and I have my guitar picked out but I need a practice amp I can play with at home that has a headphone jack. Problem is I don't know what's good and what's bad out there. I'm interested in the Orange Crush 20 or 20RT but that's just because they seem ok, don't really know if there's something out there that's better.

Please suggest practice amps for bedroom playing under $200 US and I promise to take into account what you have to say. Please wise guitar heads of UG, guide me!

Thanks!
If you don't need it to have a speaker then something like a used POD would be pretty good. You can find PODxts for about 100 bucks used all day, leaving plenty for a decent set of headphones (should you need them) or even a monitor or something if you want to have a speaker. Otherwise something from the Peavey Vypyr line is probably your best bet. Those are a more traditional amp set up (albeit with built in amp modeling and effects), but it does have a headphone out.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
ok I'll check it out. I'm afraid I might end up needing an actual amp to play for church someday (i used to play every week with my big amp but my brother has that now).

I think I might get the VIP 2.
i like bullet for my valentine, Underoath, Paramore, A7x, A Day to Remember, Alexisonfire, Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and acoustic stuff like Iron and Wine.

is a cube better than a VIP 2 under $200?
Last edited by karsaorlong90 at Jan 22, 2016,
Quote by karsaorlong90
i like bullet for my valentine, Underoath, Paramore, A7x, A Day to Remember, Alexisonfire, Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and acoustic stuff like Iron and Wine.

is a cube better than a VIP 2 under $200?

Can't you try the amps before you buy them? It would be best so you can decide which one sounds best to your ears. I'm more of a Peavey guy myself and would take a VIP 2 over the Cube.
i plan to go to guitar center and checking them out once I get my guitar. the roland cube is either like $90 or $250 so I think I'll either get an Orange CR 20 or pay more for the Peavey VIP 2. I have a Peavey Valveking and if the VIP sounds anything like it I'll love it.
From what I read, you have a Valveking, but your brother now has that and you want something to practice at home. You want something with a speaker to play in church later on possibly. Now, why can't you get the Valveking back when you want to play in church? If that's possible, I'd get a Pod HD floorboard, which will work with headphones better than a small amp will and you'd still have a use for it when you get the Valveking back.

If not, you should go to Guitar Center (or another store, w/e) and see what you like best. However, I wouldn't get an Orange Crush and certainly not for BFMV, A7x, Metallica etc. The VIP probably is a safer bet and purely for practice, I'd honestly rather even get a Line 6 than a small Orange.

Look at speaker sizes as well, by the way. If you can find something with a 12" speaker, that would be nice. And decide with your ears. Don't buy the Crush because it says Orange or is a nice looking amp if it doesn't sound right to you. I've seen enough people buy a Marshall MG because they liked the looks and regretted it after a short amount of time.
ok i'll look into the pd hd floorboard. quick question: how much does it cost because all i can find is a $500 one online. Like, what's the exact product name?
^ I think they are referring to the POD HD500. You have to buy used for it to be around $200 USD. Even then I am not sure. $250 and up.

Here is what I suggest: Get the VK back, sell it, buy a used VOX AC15, and just keep the master volume low for home use. For Church music, VOX is lovely. If you need the new amp to play in Church too, this is what I would do.

Now if you want to keep the VK and just have something for home use, I suggest something like the Line 6 Pocket Pod. If you can bump up your budget some/search the used market, a POD HD500 board would be a good choice too.

What guitar are you looking at, TS?
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 22, 2016,
I'm not American, so I might be off on pricing, but I'd expect a Pod HD 300 or 400 (or maybe even a 500) to run under 200 dollars. Those would be used prices, to be clear.

Also, as much as you want to trust the suggestions - and I really think you'd benefit from something like a pod most - don't buy it if you don't like the concept of it or don't like the sound it delivers. Take into account that those units require some dialing in. They aren't the type of processors that just have volume, gain and a 3-band EQ. They have a whole lot more than that.
Quote by I K0nijn I
I'm not American, so I might be off on pricing, but I'd expect a Pod HD 300 or 400 (or maybe even a 500) to run under 200 dollars. Those would be used prices, to be clear.

Also, as much as you want to trust the suggestions - and I really think you'd benefit from something like a pod most - don't buy it if you don't like the concept of it or don't like the sound it delivers. Take into account that those units require some dialing in. They aren't the type of processors that just have volume, gain and a 3-band EQ. They have a whole lot more than that.

Agreed, you have to mess with the cab/air settings and even then there quite a few amp models that just plain don't sound good.
OK well I'm not totally into amp modeling and stuff like that. Like I once bought a Wah pedal and then sold it two weeks later because it messed with the eq'd sound that I worked so hard to get. (I know it's supposed to do that but I just didn't like it). I own no effect pedals and I don't really have any interest in buying any. I like an amp with a decent clean sound and a dark, heavy overdrive channel and so much as I know the Valveking does that. I'm a man of simple tastes.

That being said I'm still open to suggestions, and I'm interested in the VOX AC 15 (x?) but I wonder does it have a decent overdrive sound or would I need a pedal or something to get that?
How much is a Peavey Valveking 100 watt head worth these days? I also have a either 212 or 210 no name cab with it and I have absolutely no idea what that's worth.

The guitar I'm planning on getting (if I win the auction on ebay) is a Gibson Les Paul standard 2014 with the electronic tuner removed and Grovers put on instead. I wanted a 2016 LP Standard but it's just so much cheaper to buy used guitars that are essentially the same as the new one.

I already have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50X's (they're pretty sweet) so I won't be needing decent headphones I don't think.
Quote by karsaorlong90
OK well I'm not totally into amp modeling and stuff like that. Like I once bought a Wah pedal and then sold it two weeks later because it messed with the eq'd sound that I worked so hard to get. (I know it's supposed to do that but I just didn't like it). I own no effect pedals and I don't really have any interest in buying any. I like an amp with a decent clean sound and a dark, heavy overdrive channel and so much as I know the Valveking does that. I'm a man of simple tastes.

That being said I'm still open to suggestions, and I'm interested in the VOX AC 15 (x?) but I wonder does it have a decent overdrive sound or would I need a pedal or something to get that?
How much is a Peavey Valveking 100 watt head worth these days? I also have a either 212 or 210 no name cab with it and I have absolutely no idea what that's worth.

The guitar I'm planning on getting (if I win the auction on ebay) is a Gibson Les Paul standard 2014 with the electronic tuner removed and Grovers put on instead. I wanted a 2016 LP Standard but it's just so much cheaper to buy used guitars that are essentially the same as the new one.

I already have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50X's (they're pretty sweet) so I won't be needing decent headphones I don't think.
Wahs have nothing to do with amp simulations! And the EQ filter of a Wah pedal is nothing like the EQ of an amp simulation. Effects-pedals and amp simulations in a pedal-box are only similar in the type of enclosure; they do completely different things. If you want quiet, an amp modeler with a headphone out is your best bet.
Quote by CajunDaddy
Clue: Amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
If you want dark, heavy overdrive the VOX is not your amp, then. VOX does the chimey-clean thing, perfect for Church music. But for tight high-gain stuff, I wouldn't suggest VOX.

How much are you spending on that guitar? All the ones I see are $1k USD and heavily up from there. And all you have for amps is a VK that your brother has and $200? I would spend maybe $600 on a guitar, get it properly set up, and look bigger for amps. More of your tone comes from the amp then the guitar. Apologies if I found the wrong models.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 22, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane

How much are you spending on that guitar? All the ones I see are $1k USD and heavily up from there. And all you have for amps is a VK that your brother has and $200? I would spend maybe $600 on a guitar, get it properly set up, and look bigger for amps. More of your tone comes from the amp then the guitar.

I'm aware that most of the tone comes from the amp but I already have an amp that I'm happy with that my bro has and I just need a decent practice-session solution. Eventually I'll buy a new amp but I wanna get a decent guitar first that I like and sounds good and then work on getting a good amp. I hate having to upgrade.

When I play video games I'll just save all my gold until I can buy the best weapon or armor instead of upgrading one by one because it saves money (in video games at least). idk i'm weird like that.

I'll check out the pod hd but chances are I'm just going to get the Peavey VIP 2 and be done with it.

or i could try bidding on a POD HD 300 or 400. How much would you guys say one of either one is worth? $160? $170?
Last edited by karsaorlong90 at Jan 22, 2016,
If you're not into modelling and not into having to adjust a lot of settings, I'd stay away from the Pod. Honestly, do as you planned to do and go to a shop and try and see what you like. We can suggest, but in the end, you have to be happy and you have to play it. I'd prefer modelling and having loads of options, but if you'd rather have something more simple that just does what you want, who am I to tell you to not get it. :-)

Different tools for different jobs for different types of people. Try stuff out, see what you like, get what you can afford. ^^
Quote by I K0nijn I
If you're not into modelling and not into having to adjust a lot of settings, I'd stay away from the Pod. Honestly, do as you planned to do and go to a shop and try and see what you like. We can suggest, but in the end, you have to be happy and you have to play it. I'd prefer modelling and having loads of options, but if you'd rather have something more simple that just does what you want, who am I to tell you to not get it. :-)

Different tools for different jobs for different types of people. Try stuff out, see what you like, get what you can afford. ^^

This advice is what speaks to me. I'm glad that UG has such mature and kind hearted members. Except when it comes to Line 6 amps, then everyone is an animal. lol
Quote by karsaorlong90
This advice is what speaks to me. I'm glad that UG has such mature and kind hearted members. Except when it comes to Line 6 amps, then everyone is an animal. lol

To be fair, it's usually the Spider series that gets trashed, and for good reason. Hell, quite a few of us just suggested some Line 6 gear.

I agree with K0nijn that if you don't want a lot of setting to mess with you might not like modeling stuff.
i would pick up a used pod xt live or x3 floorboard. easily found under $150. miles ahead of any modeler at your price range.

if you play at church, you could go direct into the board with the POD and sound pretty damn good overall.

if you get a MFX unit, buy a powered monitor and plug right in. simple and cheap.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/