Page 1 of 2
How would you run it?
What music would you produce?

Me, I'd like to see curse words get a chance, be it rap or rock.
That said, the local market is saturated with reggae as well as gospel acts...
Not one single person holding a guitar in any of the music/entertainment in my neighbourhood, Thornton Heath, it's predominantly reggae vocalists. So I'd probably stay clear of it, I mean, why give them a chance if they don't want to give my music style a chance. Reggae and Gospel acts are making waves for each other and also swearing, record labels won't sign you if you swear, and I'm sick of it.
I want a record label that is aimed to voice and promote acts other labels didn't want to deal with because they sounded too rock or swore too much.

That's me, and my record label idea in Thornton Heath, England.

What about you, ever thought about it?
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Jan 22, 2016,
Highly effectively and efficiently. We'd use Cubase SX3 and establish the entity as a partnership or LLC. It'd be called Hella Dope Rekerdz

And we only produce sludge, stoner metal, and hip hop
Quote by Fat Lard
Highly effectively and efficiently. We'd use Cubase SX3 and establish the entity as a partnership or LLC. It'd be called Hella Dope Rekerdz

I love liability limited companys...

I don't want to die intestate neither, I want to have an exit plan for death and leave a last will & testament.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Quote by treborillusion
I love liability limited companys...

I don't want to die by the state neither, I want to have an exit plan for death and leave a last will & testament.

You're going to want to funnel all revenues and proceeds into an irrevocable trust then
punk and emo

cheap 8 track shit all day

if you dont like garagey shitty sounding records dont record here
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Fat Lard
You're going to want to funnel all revenues and proceeds into an irrevocable trust then
I need a product to sell to get money.
So how do I get seed money?
Apart from hustling and saving from a day job...
I'd need to work out credit with a partner that is affordable based on a plan for growth payment and profit that is solid between me and the partner with the money needed.
Might be hundreds, thousands, hundreds of thousands...
But how to sign, sell and produce an artist for delivery of product?
Quote by laid-to-waste
I guess you'd need the right licenses... Are they free? (I doubt it).

art and music license
publishing
personal data....
Quote by laid-to-waste
Quote by treborillusion
I need a product to sell to get money.
So how do I get seed money?
Apart from hustling and saving from a day job...
I'd need to work out credit with a partner that is affordable based on a plan for growth payment and profit that is solid between me and the partner with the money needed.
Might be hundreds, thousands, hundreds of thousands...
But how to sign, sell and produce an artist for delivery of product?

You start with your Mission Statement. It must be broad and vague in such a way that it can be open to operational amendments/etc, but solid enough to keep you steering in the right direction/solid framework.

Only scout out artists who are professional and competent in demeanor, and have already 'found their sound'. You don't want a bunch of bums stinking up your studio because they can't lay the backing track by the 500th play.

Then, LOTS of luck and LOTS of marketing/social media pandering
First and foremost, corner the local market. Get to newer, younger bands early. Sign them to contracts that have a big, eye-grabbing overall value but are loaded with conditional escalators so it's only costly if they're a hit, in which case we've made the money back anyway. Works for me because I don't lose money on a flop because they didn't hit their escalators, and works for the band because if they're a huge hit then they're a huge hit, but they have minimal liability and aren't paying back money they already spent and can't recoup if they fail. I don't care what genre you are, if you have an audience that likes your music and wants to buy it, you're our kind of artist. But for branding purposes it would probably have a few subsidiaries that are the same company with a different logo and name. Also, don't sign idiots. To an extent, this is kind of impossible in the music biz, but don't take a risk on an idiot who's probably going to blow the entire advance on drugs, avoid risks like that that a big company can take, but that can sink a small local label. Take the artists you have, and promote them crazy online, mostly through videos because people like video content. Produce it well, don't do something stupid and Clintonesque that reeks of "PR firm with no idea what it's trying to do". Also try and get them to interact with fans with social media. People love things like AMAs and facebook accounts that are actually run by the artists themselves. Interaction is always good.

Once the local market is locked down, then you can start expanding out. Not too far though, slow and steady wins the race, getting too aggressive in new markets far from home is an easy way to overextend yourself and fall apart. Biggest thing to leverage is locale. Anywhere near DC is a tourist trap, and tourist traps means you can get a constant flow of new ears in to hear the local talent and buy their music, including execs from bigger labels. Show the artists to music store owners and record executives who're in for a weekend, use the big media presence in DC as an advantage, and don't resist and even encourage and support artists moving onto major labels. Generate some good favor, and not only may they send some of their opening acts your way, but word will get around that you're "putting artists before business" and pushing them to succeed. Local acts who hear that are more likely to sign with someone they think will push them to succeed than someone they think will suck them dry.

If there's enough success in the new markets, then wash, rinse, repeat, with changes to suit the local music scene and whatnot. Eventually though the plan is to sell the damn thing. The music business is crazy volatile, and a huge fortune can turn into a huge debt in a week. The sooner I'm out of there with however much I got bought out for, the better.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jan 22, 2016,
Quote by necrosis1193
First and foremost, corner the local market. Get to newer, younger bands early. Sign them to contracts that have a big, eye-grabbing overall value but are loaded with conditional escalators so it's only costly if they're a hit, in which case we've made the money back anyway. Works for me because I don't lose money on a flop because they didn't hit their escalators, and works for the band because if they're a huge hit then they're a huge hit, but they have minimal liability and aren't paying back money they already spent and can't recoup if they fail. I don't care what genre you are, if you have an audience that likes your music and wants to buy it, you're our kind of artist. But for branding purposes it would probably have a few subsidiaries that are the same company with a different logo and name. Also, don't sign idiots. To an extent, this is kind of impossible in the music biz, but don't take a risk on an idiot who's probably going to blow the entire advance on drugs, avoid risks like that that a big company can take, but that can sink a small local label. Take the artists you have, and promote them crazy online, mostly through videos because people like video content. Produce it well, don't do something stupid and Clintonesque that reeks of "PR firm with no idea what it's trying to do". Also try and get them to interact with fans with social media. People love things like AMAs and facebook accounts that are actually run by the artists themselves. Interaction is always good.

Once the local market is locked down, then you can start expanding out. Not too far though, slow and steady wins the race, getting too aggressive in new markets far from home is an easy way to overextend yourself and fall apart. Biggest thing to leverage is locale. Anywhere near DC is a tourist trap, and tourist traps means you can get a constant flow of new ears in to hear the local talent and buy their music, including execs from bigger labels. Don't resist and even encourage and support artists moving onto major labels. Generate some good favor, and not only may they send some of their opening acts your way, but word will get around that you're "putting artists before business" and pushing them to succeed. Local acts who hear that are more likely to sign with someone they think will push them to succeed than someone they think will suck them dry.

If there's enough success in the new markets, then wash, rinse, repeat, with changes to suit the local music scene and whatnot. Eventually though the plan is to sell the damn thing. The music business is crazy volatile, and a huge fortune can turn into a huge debt in a week. The sooner I'm out of there with however much I got bought out for, the better.

You mean, sit in the bushes outside BRIT SCHOOL with a license to hire 13 - 16 year olds and a contract; sign the next Amy Winehouse, have her/them learn my music, train them in their act until they're 18, by which time they'd be veteran performers allowed into venues who know the routine plus, they'd be eye candy/more sellable than me, even though it's my sh*t they'd be singing. - Sort of poach them REAL early...
So if Sony ever want them, hello!
Quote by laid-to-waste
Quote by treborillusion at #33791458
You mean, sit in the bushes outside BRIT SCHOOL with a license to hire 13 - 16 year olds and a contract; sign the next Amy Winehouse, have her/them learn my music, train them in their act until they're 18, by which time they'd be veteran performers allowed into venues who know the routine plus, they'd be eye candy/more sellable than me, even though it's my sh*t they'd be singing.

If you sign a band of 13 year olds then you might as well go spend your money on lottery tickets instead. Making an investment of any size on the decision-making and artistic value of a middle schooler is about as likely to pay off in the long run as a Powerball ticket, and it'll be cheaper and less of a headache. Plus on a less financial note, signing teenagers to contracts is pretty scummy. Nobody's hiring a band with members under the drinking age, in no small part because a lot of local venues they'll be playing at are bars. I'm talking early-mid 20s when I say "newer, younger bands", not teens.

Signing them with the idea of waiting for payoff in a few years when they're older and training them into polished stars is an absurdly dangerous gamble, too. How many of us had things we were passionate about as a teenager that we grew out of by the time we were 20? What if music is that for them? What if they haven't hit puberty yet and they can't sing with their new voice? What if they're not as good as you thought and you spend years trying to get blood out of a turnip? What if you go bankrupt before they can pay off? Signing them as kids for payoff as adults is not a good idea.

originality doesn't go very far these days when i comes to mainstream music.

no point in having a record label if you aren't trying to make money.

i'd sign/promote anyone who can write a pop/rap song catchy enough to get radio play.

but if i wasn't in it to make money, i'd sign space rock/blues bands left and right. Those guys are dope (literally)
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

it'd be all about funk and funk fusion genres and it'd be so funky i wouldn't need to understand the business side of it
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
So I'd need an FM radio station, probably for £500, 000 so MY artists'll get their airplay and I'd sell advertising like any other station but have complete control. No need for PR except to attract corporate customers willing to pay us for selling our advertising, maybe even get partners to sponsor shows, and all music would be through me.
Quote by laid-to-waste
necrosis, i can't believe you'd write so much giving fukn treborillusion advice in starting a major label in 1993
Quote by tateandlyle at #33791565
necrosis, i can't believe you'd write so much giving fukn treborillusion advice in starting a major label in 1993

It's snowing pretty heavily and my car doesn't have snow tires so I'm stuck inside for the night, I don't feel like playing videogames, I cut my index finger on my fretting hand so I can't play guitar, and I already watched two movies, so I'm not watching more Netflix. It was a fun way to kill a few minutes

I'd sell it and use the money to buy a sports team in Cleveland and rename it the "Steamers."

EDIT: I actually came up with that on my own but I Googled it, and sure enough, I was not the first to come up with this joke. Figures.
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at Jan 22, 2016,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
it'd be all about funk and funk fusion genres and it'd be so funky i wouldn't need to understand the business side of it

lets collab

If I had my own record label, I'd sell it and spend the proceeds on a pint, because fuck running a record label.
If I ran a record label I'd just let people come in and record whatever they wanted and then just pay me for the recording space.

And then drink a lot
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
If I ran a record label I'd just let people come in and record whatever they wanted and then just pay me for the recording space.

And then drink a lot

I am thinking about doing it because locally I was told that I'm rock - or that my music wasn't Christian, so; My record label would be open to artists who curse and not reggae or dancehall or gospel... Because in two thousand and whenever, I was walking back one night, stopped dead in my tracks because I thought I saw a white boy guitarist on a poster and I was like (Fuck)! (Someone beat me to it).. - Only to look at it closer and it was just somebody else with a microphone or headphones or whatever, and on that walk that night, I realised no one wants to see an artist like me get played, get paid, so fuck 'em - That's why I'd bring the rock if no other artist does. - Later I tried to get signed mainstream, I mean, why not?
Turns out I swear too much, so, fuck 'em. They don't want to see me get played, they don't want to see me get paid neither, so fuck 'em. I am tired of Kanye West, I am tired of not seeing people like me in music no more. So I'd be open to rock, rap or live act based on explicit content, and since the local market is saturated and pissing me off, no dancehall, reggae, gospel tunes, there's a bunch of other labels and studios in the area (might use their studio though, under the label's paid for time so, the label's direction or we'd walk)... but fuck them this is my label, so, my music, and artists who meet the label requirements with who I'd want to pay the label's advanced money too...

Artists wouldn't have to be explicit, but I wouldn't refuse their art if it was. They get signed to my label if I felt their art was 'real', and was a fit young artist and the ability for direction and live performance, and must be sexy.. I don't need to have to become a modeling agency to legally refuse someone based on poster appeal, so I, but most of all their music and if I could relate to it. Even if their music scared me.
Quote by laid-to-waste
Last edited by treborillusion at Jan 24, 2016,
Quote by whywefight
Nope, he just wants to exploit keen's lack of business expertise

lets collab

I would get all the bands from the 70s-90s and call it Washed Up Records
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
I would have bands that made music they didn't listen to. You're a metal band? Do you listen to metal? Yes? Too bad fuck off. I don't want my bands on my label to sound like shit that's already been done before. I want new original music. Something creative.
I don't want to sound like a knob but I don't think what I have in mind would be doable in accordance with today's capitalist models. I have a specific record company in mind - ZARŠ - which recieves govermnent funding due to being part of Radio Študent and the Student Organization of Slovenia. These are products of different times and are slowly being eroded.

Long story short I would want to structure it in accordance with the values held by Slovene and Yugoslav students during the student protests of 1968. Maybe there will be a chance for something like that in the near future but right now I think its not achievable.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by whywefight
Nope, he just wants to exploit keen's lack of business expertise

i thought we had something special
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
probably spoken word and sound art with a smattering of surrounding genres

I'd produce weird experimental drone stuffs and hnw with spoken word/poetry over it

cats would be a frontal aesthetic of the label and we would introduce our brand with a picture of a communist lion fighting a republican bear
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal

I'd produce weird experimental drone stuffs and hnw with spoken word/poetry over it

cats would be a frontal aesthetic of the label and we would introduce our brand with a picture of a communist lion fighting a republican bear

No offense, but this is literally the worst thing I have ever heard
I'd book a bunch of hipster folk bands. Buy them old-timey clothes and put fake aging on all their music videos. I'd book them tons of time at places like Audiotree, Little Elephant and KEXP.

Dump them all after their 2nd album aka when they stop being the flavor of the month and flavor of the month sophomore release. Rinse, repeat, profit.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Banjocal

this isn't exactly that but listen to this from like 1.20

and blaz hmu in chat about slovene student label that sounds interesting
Quote by Fat Lard
No offense, but this is literally the worst thing I have ever heard
good thing I was only serious in the first sentence then innit
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Page 1 of 2