Hello. I've been playing for about 4 years and I'm self-taught. I've always had problems with a specific type of chord that I cannot play without feeling uncomfortable. It looks like this:
e-
B-7-
G-7-
D-7-
A-5-
E-
I have no idea what this is called, and how to play it, when I try to play it I end up squeezing my fingers together and it doesn't feel right. I wanted to know if there's another way of playing this. Any help is appreciated.
Commonly called a Barre chord. Move it up two frets and you have a E, and so forth. Can be used anywhere on the neck from Bb up.

Just the two or 3 top strings is considered a power chord, used a lot by hard rock bands.,

A 5
D 7
G 7

would give you a mean sounding and not hard to play power chord.

Just A 5 and D 7 can be used the same way but would sound a bit empty. I use it sometimes that way when I have a full band so the bass or bass and keys can fill a bit of tonal space. Or a 2nd guitar...Also useful in 2 guitar situations so one can use a full chord in another location on the neck, while the power chord fills in a lot of bottom end.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Ooooh, I LOVE power and barre chords. My favorite ones. Yeah, essentially, it's a Dmaj chord just like tony said. And like Pete said, just switch one finger off or around and it's suddenly a power chord. Personally I prefer the power chords over barre, but to each their own
Quote by CherokeShredder
Ooooh, I LOVE power and barre chords. My favorite ones. Yeah, essentially, it's a Dmaj chord just like tony said. And like Pete said, just switch one finger off or around and it's suddenly a power chord. Personally I prefer the power chords over barre, but to each their own

Yeah, one finger really makes a huge difference, the power chord is definitely heavier.