Hey guys,

There is a certain tone I'm after and I don't know how to get it. Would be awesome if you guys could shed some light on this..

The video containing the examples is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiC__IjCa2s

I am NOT looking for the tone in the original songs. I am talking about exactly this video and nothing else.
The tone I'm looking for is found at the following times:

1:13 (The Who - can't explain)
1:55 (Cream - Crossroads + LZ - Communication breakdown)
2:19 (James Gang - Funk 49)
2:28 (Rolling Stones - Bitch)
3:36 (Ted Nugent - Stranglehold)
3:50 (Blue Oyster Cult - Don't fear the reaper + Kansas - Carry on wayward son)
4:41 (Neil Young - Hey hey, My My + AC/DC - Back in Black)
5:05 (SRV - Pride and Joy)

..and so on. I'm sure you get the idea by now.
The gear he is using is listed on this page, but it does not say when he is using which pedals :/

//edit: My personal intuition tells me this is his Fender amp with a tiny bit of gain. Is there any way I can get close to this tone without buying a 2000-dollar amp?
Last edited by Silky90 at Jan 23, 2016,
I'm thinking most of the specifics you mentioned are the Fender amp and Tube Screamer. If you like the gritty, overdriven clean sound, a Blues Jr. and Tubescreamer would do you well. If a you want a little more clean headroom, a Blues deluxe or Hot Rod Deluxe might be a little better. Both can be found used for under 600 all the time.
The amp i currently have is the Ibanez TSA 5, which has a built-in tubescreamer. Do you think I could sort of get the same tone from that?
Quote by Silky90
The amp i currently have is the Ibanez TSA 5, which has a built-in tubescreamer. Do you think I could sort of get the same tone from that?

Not really familiar with the amp, but it looks like its designed to give you an overdriven tube amp sound. Turn the tubescreamer on and start with the gain down and level up and play with the gain until you get something you like. ( I don't know what the interface/knobs on the built in tubescreamer or amp look like, based that on stompbox)
I see. Thanks alot. I'm experimenting with the knobs on it, and so far I found that I like the sound better with the gain all the way down, and the level at 2pm. I'm gonna try the way you explained!
Keep the Tubescreamer part of the amp low. Another huge part of his sound is the maple neck strat (although a rosewood fretboard would do fine as well, I'd guess). No way you're getting that sound with humbuckers and maybe not even with a tele.
Luckily I happen to have a '89 Eric Clapton Sig Strat :P So I think I've got that part covered.
You can but it's going to be loud. That's the sound of a cranked amp. Don't use the Tube Screamer, just turn the volume up. If you need the Tube Screamer for some extra juice, keep the gain low and turn the level up.
Hmmm that's what I feared. I live in an appartment, so cranking up the amp is not really an option for me :/
Quote by Silky90

Quote by Silky90
Hmmm that's what I feared. I live in an appartment, so cranking up the amp is not really an option for me :/

I think you should consider getting something like a Line 6 Pod, Peavy Vypyr/VIP or an amp that has a built in headphone jack. For cranked tone with headphones I can use my Vypyr Tube 60 or Line 6 Pod Farm on my laptop.

Not sure if the Fender SuperChamp XD/X2 had a headphone jack or not - I thought it did but now I can't verify that. That may be a good choice as well.

If you keep the TSA, I would consider swapping out the speaker because those ship with a Celestion seventy 80 - which is kind of subpar.

Hope that helps.

(I didn't listen to all of those examples in the youtube - I just made some inferences and educated guesses)
Great video you posted the Link for!

After listening through the vid I'm glad I've have the Fender Mustang III (v2) and Fender Mustang IV (v2) amps. They have no probelm delivering those tones!

The Mustangs absolutley have a learning curve to access their utmost potential! Right out of the box, the Mustang's 100 default Presets (based on 17 different modeled Amps) demonstrate only a limited spectrum of the Amp's full character. Unless you are willing to learn the Amp's full characteristics, go with something else.
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

If you keep the TSA, I would consider swapping out the speaker because those ship with a Celestion seventy 80 - which is kind of subpar.

What kind of speaker would I exchange it for?

The problem is I hate wearing headphones while I'm playing. So I can only get that tone I referred to by cranking my amp? That complicates things....
well your amp is part of the problem but try this. turn volume on TS section all the way up, drive section to about 1-2 and tone to taste. this should get you much closer to what you want. for less distortion just turn the volume on the TS section down some. your amp has a very limited EQ and only a 10' speaker plus as you metntioned volume constraints. tone chasing is a tough thing to deal with especially if your gear isn't really close to the same.
So for this sort of tone, really, I'd need a Blues Jr. or similar Fender amp?
Quote by Silky90

not necessarily a fender but something with decent clean channel and a couple of pedals will get you pretty close to the tones in the video. most of it is just an overdrive kicked on to ad a little distortion. a few sements used a fuzz pedal. keep in mind that your strat has very different pickups than the one in the video as well. as i mentioned your current amp only has one tone knob so that is a problem as well. you could likely get those tones from a Peavey Classic 30 or even a Valveking so it doesn't have to be expensive as both can be found used at reasonable prices.
Fender Blues Jr or even a Twin Reverb. And yes get a tube screamer. I would recommend the Ibanez TS9, or you may be able to find a cheaper OD that will work. In my school studio, we had one and i played through it and loved it. My teacher bought one for himself too and brought his in.
Another thing that just came to my mind:

If I can get those tones by cranking my current amp - couldn't I just get an attenuator? Like a power sink? Then I could still turn up the amp, but reduce the volume to the point where I need it.

My amp does have an external speaker cable plugged into the back, so I'd just put the attenuator in between, right? Thoughts?
Quote by Silky90

Or you'd want something that simulates them. Several modelers on the market do that pretty well.