Hey guys. I'll make this one fairly quick. I'm looking for a new amp. I want a tube amp, not solid state. And I'd like a 50 watt head. I can deal with 100 watts, but it has to be a head. And I need at least 2 channels.
As for sound, I want smooth creamy cleans (as close to an acoustic as I can get), capability for a light overdrive (about the same as my fulltone ocd pedal set to maybe 8 or 9 o'clock), and a fairly heavy crunch. I don't know if it makes sense but I want crunch not distortion. Albeit a fair amount.

A couple amps that have the sound I'm looking for are the peavey butcher (the new one anyway) and the peavey Valveking ii.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks guys
Sounds like a Mesa LoneStar to me, certainly without any budget being thrown in. Or a Budda Superdrive maybe.
Oh yeah. I forgot the budget. Sorry.
Well, my budget is gunna be based off what I have. I have a Prs s2 custom 22 and a carvin v3m I'm trying to sell. Out of both of those I would like to get both a new guitar and an amp. Although I will likely get an epiphone or similar guitar. So my budget is maybe....$700? Maybe $800?

As for the cab, I will mostly be using the 212 I built myself. It's loaded with an eminence man o war and a wgs liberator 80
This has Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 or 100 written all over it.

Killer cleans, great old school crunch and a more modern Marshall crunch.

You also may want to look for a Mesa Mark III, it will hit all your needs also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I was going to say that the Valveking would be a good choice, since the clean channel is kind of like a Fender type clean, while the dirty channel is reminiscent of a Marshall tone, but if your budget is $800, then you might as well get the real deal. I would say your best bet is probably a used Marshall. As previously stated, you can get a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL50 for $700 or $800, and would probably be your best bet for the tone you're looking for. However, if you want to save some money, you can get a used VK II for around $300, but the tone won't be quite as good as the Marshall. I like my VK a lot, and the tone works well for me, but it's still no Marshall.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
I had a Valveking before and I really liked it. I got rid of it for some reason though

The v3m I got because it had good reviews and the videos I watched sounded good (I had to order it, I live in oklahoma) but it honestly is a pretty terrible amp. I personally find it mostly unusable unless I run an eq in the effects loop. I set it flat but the amp just sounds bad without it. Also while it has 3 channels, the cleans are not very good. They're always a little overdriven. And the two drive channels are exactly the same. So I turn the gain off on the second drive and it's too much. And I run the gain at about 4 on the lead channel and I don't have any trouble playing metal. It's just too much. And although it is advertised as a do-anything amp, scooped metal is all it really sounds good playing.
Oh, and I play punk, classic rock, blues, and a little hard rock. But I never really get much heavier than say like, guns n roses

So a Valveking seems to be fairly highly rated. I know I liked mine. And maybe a marshall DSL?
I will say that I've never been a fan of marshall. I've always found them to be either really muddy or the distortion like a buzzsaw. But I also haven't really gotten to play a good one. Just the cheap valvestates and whatnot. I'll look into a DSL.
I have an old JCM2000 DSL100 and it is way better than a Valveking.

I never liked Marshall amps, and I bought mine only for reselling it to make a profit. I took it to band practice one time and it became my main amp. With the right tubes in it you will not have the buzzy crunch most people associate with marshall amps.

The DSL100 and 50 were basically the go to punk amp (besides mesa recto) the last almost 20yrs

And Joe Banamasa uses a DSL100 live for blues
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 23, 2016,
I've heard really good stuff about them but the only good one I've ever played was a jvm410. And while it sounded okay, it was way way too complicated for me. Too many effects and buttons. I don't trust it.
But I'll look into a DSL. Maybe I'll like it
The Valvestates are a terrible representation of Marshall. I owned one, and took it back because it sounded really bad. If you get a Marshall, you definitely would be better off with a tube Marshall. It's like night and day compared to the Valvestates.
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by Lgarretto
I've heard really good stuff about them but the only good one I've ever played was a jvm410. And while it sounded okay, it was way way too complicated for me. Too many effects and buttons. I don't trust it.

I like the DSL better than the JVM, not just for simplicity but I prefer the sound

The best thing you can do is go try as many amps as you can that way you know what you like and don't.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I agree. But I wanted some suggestions to know what to try

I will try looking at a DSL. And personally I'll keep peavey in mind, I like them. And I like mesa, but I'm afraid I'll have a hard time affording one. New they are too expensive. And I've never seen even one for sale used around here
Check out Guitar Center's used section on their website. You might find a decent used Mesa in there. Shipping is about $50 so you'll want to account for that, and in many cases, you should be able to try out a new version of the amp at most music stores, as long as they are still in production.
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
I will try and play one in person, however from the videos I've seen the DSL seems to have a lot of gain. Not that that is a bad thing, it gives me plenty of room, but on the second channel I would likely set the gain to around 2 or 3.. However the crunch setting on the clean channel seems to sound really amazing with the gain on maybe 7 or 8? About perfect for what I want. From what little I have heard online anyhow

Just thought Id mention that. It's likely different in person
Quote by Robbgnarly
This has Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 or 100 written all over it.

Killer cleans, great old school crunch and a more modern Marshall crunch.

You also may want to look for a Mesa Mark III, it will hit all your needs also.

+1

Listen to Rob

+1 to Guitar Center used section. I've bought my last few amps and 4x12 cabinet from them. I bought my Splawn (Marshall clone) off of Craigslist.

Quote by Lgarretto
I will say that I've never been a fan of marshall. I've always found them to be either really muddy or the distortion like a buzzsaw. But I also haven't really gotten to play a good one. Just the cheap valvestates and whatnot. I'll look into a DSL.

Sounds like you played a Marshall MA

Most of your higher end Marshalls DSL/TSL on up are not particularly muddy. The Class 5 is a great amp too but it doesn't have a clean channel and needs some tweaks here and there (like the Valveking).

Quote by Lgarretto

JVM is OK but overpriced and just not that great for that kind of money. Now if you got ahold of a used JVM 205 and ran it on Green OD2 or Orange OD1 you might have something to talk about if the price was right.

Here are some other things to consider:

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/msg/5384183858.html Egnater Renegade 112
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/msg/5408654619.html Vox AC15
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/msd/5360027712.html Egnater Rebel 30
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/msg/5406975374.html Mesa DC-10
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/msg/5415279186.html Peavey Classic 30
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/msg/5411421945.html Peavy Ultra 112 w cab and other goodys
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/msg/5397580698.html DSL 40 combo

I really like the Renegades. Lots of flexibility and a great footswitch. There were quite a few Vox ACxx amps on your craigslist. Something else to consider. This particular one is all stock verbiage and a stock photo so that always makes me leary. The Rebel is OK, but not as good as the Renegade if you ask me. Never played a DC-10 but should be quite decent given its heritage. The Classic 30 is very Marshally like and very well regarded. The Ultra might be a bit over the top for you but they are highly tweakable and very versatile. It appears the seller is throwing in some other things which is something to consider. The DSL is a great amp but the 40w combo would definitely be at the low end there. I don't have personal experience with it but I've always heard the 40w combo is the worst of the DSL series.

Good luck.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 23, 2016,
you either have some bad tubes or your not EQ'ing your V3m right ...... you can argue all day long on Carvin's dirty channel being fizzy or not fizzy (eq problem if it's fizzy) but the Carvin clean channel is great ..... I have a few amps , Mesa Mk V , Dual Recto , Peavey Classic 30 , Fender Twin reverb too name a few and the little V3m and can hang with all except the Recto ..... not sure what you got going on , but something not right
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Jan 23, 2016,
I hadn't thought of vox. I'll look into those as well. And I've only ever really heard of engaged by name. I guess I should look into those. I have heard several people say they are good

As for the v3m, maybe something is a little off about it, I'm not sure. But the amp itself, nevermind tone, doesn't sound good at all. It sounds very hollow if that makes any sense. And the clean channel, well with the volume on 4, gain on about 3, and my les paul on the bridge pickup (57 classic) and in single coil mode my tone aughta be dry as a bone. But it breaks up quite a bit. And the dirty channels are simply too dark and too much gain for me. Honestly I haven't been happy with anything about the v3m at all. The amp sounds okay on its own, and with a boost of some sort (in my case an eq, but I've also used a clean boost) in the effects loop it sounds pretty good. I could deal with the clean channel breaking up a bit, but in my eyes, it's a metal amp. Or at least hard rock. And it doesn't really do much else well. Not for me I guess. Especially since a dimed overdrive will pretty much get me the level of gain I am looking for
First, I'd try throwing some JJ preamp tubes into the V3 before you ditch it. If you still don't like it, pull out the JJ's to use in a JCM2000 DSL100/50. Another user of the DSL100 was Gary Moore, it was his live amp.
But get one made after 2003, earlier ones overheated due to an under spec bridge rectifier.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Traynor YCS50 (Custom Special) 50 watt head. Beautiful cleans and wonderful smooth tube distortion, from overdrive up to hard rock. Incredibly versatile. 2 channels, built-in foot-switchable boost, has a 15-watt mode that sounds great. Find me anyone who doesn't love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFJRO-SBhUA
low end carvin v3m high end mesa mark 5:25
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I would install some JJ's in your V3m .... something is not right , I can play live with no PA with Humbuckers exclusively with NO break up on the clean channel

my setting from our last gig two weeks ago with some popular clean songs from Pink Floyd Comfortably Num , Kid Rock Only God Knows Why , Guns &Roses Used To Love her , Kenny Wayne Sheppard Blue on Black , Lynnryd Skynard 's Simple man too name a few ..... no break up at all

Master Volume was set 5 .... channel volume settings were used to balance the sound between all channels then I use the Master to get the desired output out of the speakers

**clean channel 3***
presence 7
channel volume .... 6
Bright/soak switch ..... middle position
drive .... 6
Bass .... 8
EQX switch ..... down/off
mid .... 5
treble .... 8

***** channel 2 is my mild distortion/crunch channel **** set like this I have a real nice smooth mild crunch that I use for rythem on songs like Guns & Roses Sweet Child of Mine
presence .... 5.5
channel volume ..... 4
intense/thick switch .... down/thick
drive ..... 1.5
Bass ...... 8
EQX switch ..... up/on
mid ...5
treble ..... 6

**** channel 1 is my heavy channel **** , I use this channel for songs like White Zombie Thunder Kiss 65
presence .... 5
volume ..... 4
intense/thick switch .... up/intense
Drive ..... 6.5
Bass .... 9
EQX switch .... down/off
mid ..... 5
treble ..... 6

give these setting a try and see if it that doesn't make it a nice 3 different sounding channels
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Jan 24, 2016,
Yeah I was very unimpressed with the V3, and I have heard the V3m is even less impressive.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The v3m is not a bad amp. It just doesn't really have the sound in after. I got it for a very good deal and so I bougt it, but it really isn't for me.
Also, just to mention, I run the setting on my v3m almost the same as you mentioned. Except with less bass and more mids. And my pickups (57 classics) are not very high output.

So I went to the guitar store today and played a number of amps. And I have been looking up a lot of info on them as well. I think my front runners are as follows
Peavey's Valveking ii (it's cheap and easy to find. And simple)
Blackstar ht club 50 (I have had good luck with blackstar. And they have always sounded good to me)
And my favorite I think is actually the Orange ad30. The problems with it are that its only 30 watts and Id like at least 50. And it's more money than I can spend
the orange ad30 is as loud as you will ever need
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I do know that Orange tends to be exceptionally loud.
I don't know if anyone is very familiar with amt, but that is my main amp right now. However the Valveking I used to have was a 90s (I think) Valveking 100 watt and for shows I ran the master volume at right about 5