Afternoon! Thanks to all of those experts here on Ultimate Guitar who helped me decided what new gear to get, I recently purchased this Peavey Vypyr to complement my new Epi Les Paul. It sounds a TON better than the old 15W thing I had before, but I'm still struggling to get it dialed in how I want it.

The amp has two channels for electric guitar, and I have the first one set up almost as it came from the factory, which does not sound too great (it's the one pictured).

Anyway, I'm kind of a noob when it comes to amp settings, so I was wondering if I could get some direction in getting the right settings to make the first channel's tone sound somewhat like that in Blink-182's 'Dammit' and the second more of brighter tone like that in Sugarcult's 'Memory.'

Thank you so much for the help, and if you're on the east coast, stay safe in this snow!

-Noah
Last edited by TheAviator1997 at Jan 23, 2016,
Congrats on the Vypyr, it's an awesome amp. Not sure about the specific sound you're looking for. Just by looking at the colors, right now you're on lots of gain. Each amp has three channels red, green, orange. Change by pressing on the amp knob.

But...even before you get there. Far on the left, you have the A instrument type/electric 1 "channel" on red. Press the little black button to choose between four colors/options/channels (or is it called bias?): green, yellow, orange, red. Start by putting it on green.
Last edited by dthmtl3 at Jan 23, 2016,
I have the Vypyr VIP 1, and I think for the tone you are looking for either the Classic setting or the British setting should work. I would also suggest dialing back the Gain. Also when you push the button on the Amp Model dial, you are switching the channels. I think most of them have a clean (green), a dirty or crunch (orange) and then a lead (red) which is the highest gain of the three. I would try the orange setting on those amp models. If you need a little more gain, use the TSC. Also, some of those controls may be confusing if you're not used to modeling amps. If you go to the Peavey site and download the VIP Edit software, it may be a little easier to use that interface. Especially when you are using the effects like the TSC as Will suggested. And as I always say when people are looking to emulate tone, studio recordings are difficult to attain, but a more realistic goal would be to check out some pro shot live versions of those songs.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by Nolasludge
Also when you push the button on the Amp Model dial, you are switching the channels. I think most of them have a clean (green), a dirty or crunch (orange) and then a lead (red) which is the highest gain of the three. I would try the orange setting on those amp models.

I was wondering what the different colors meant! Thanks so much for clearing that up.
Do you know how to save a tone then once you have it set up?
Quote by TheAviator1997
I was wondering what the different colors meant! Thanks so much for clearing that up.
Do you know how to save a tone then once you have it set up?

I believe you hold down the instrument type button (A, B, C, or D) until it stops blinking. I haven't saved any settings yet, though. I mainly bought mine to use as an interface for my computer. It had the best utility because of all of the modeling options, as well as a method to use my guitar to record bass tracks, and I could use it with my acoustic guitar as well. I don't really practice with it as much as I use it as a writing tool by recording with Audacity. In that respect, it gives me an opportunity to try out different harmonies, as well as experiment with drum parts. I tend to write in odd time signatures, so the ability to record my ideas and play it for my drummer really helps.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1