Got my guitar amp mic'd sm57.

Audio interface 2i2 focusrite.

Into my mac (laptop), garageband.

mic is real close to the speaker.

If i turn up the gain on the mic through 2i2, i get white noise out of garage band. I'm using headphones.

Note: everything i read is about ground loops and power. I can disconnect my charger and it makes no difference. All nothing is plugged in to AC except the amp and it's sound is clean. No hum.

Headphone gain anything over a quarter.
For focusrite to pick up the sound, anything over 3/4's on the gain. Even though it's pretty week it seems like to me.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Is it possibly garageband or is this just a crappy interface and only designed for direct guitar input?

Thanks!
Far as I know Garage Band is pretty much fine to use as a DAW, I wouldn't call it crappy by any means; just use what you can use ya know. I like the Focusrite 2i2 and recommend it seemingly daily, ask any of the guys here

How much are you turning the gain up? Is it flashing red when you're hitting notes, or just is it white noise as standard? Can you use it at a lower gain setting? Have you plugged your guitar direct into the Scarlett to see if it's your mic cable that's causing it? Does the white noise then continue?

If not, then it's probably something to do with the mic/amp/interface and not garage band.

Are the drivers up to date?
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Thanks Anthony, i just re-read my post. (horrible grammar).

Anyway. So if I turn up my 2i2 i can't get it go signal red on the mic input (input 2). So it's like there's not enough gain??

If i was to use a condenser mic and use phantom power, then i can get it to clip.

Im fairly new to recording. I thought we want to see at least a quarter of the signal in garage band and some sort of wave signal.

I can record without the white noise, it's just incredibly low volumes. That's why im turning this thing to 3/4's or almost 100% gain. I assume this is my issue??

what do you set your gain to on a mic'd input (dynamic, no phantom power).

Thanks, really appreciate the fast response.

Also, direct monitor is off on my 2i2.

Thanks again!

Boyd
Unfortunately I don't mic my amp up, I go direct to my DAW because of I use BIAS etc, so I can't really give you much more information - hopefully someone who does straight mic'ing will have some more answers.

To be honest I rarely push it to red then dial it back to green, I just kind of left it 9 o'clock and i've never had problems with it. Can't you record at semi-low volumes then boost the volume later in the DAW? Probably not ideal though
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991

To be honest I rarely push it to red then dial it back to green, I just kind of left it 9 o'clock and i've never had problems with it. Can't you record at semi-low volumes then boost the volume later in the DAW? Probably not ideal though

The problem with recording at lower volumes is that while the signal is there, so is the noise floor. As you increase your recorded signal, the noise floor comes up with it. This is why a lot of engineers recommend recording when your source is fairly loud, it will require less preamp gain and lower the noise floor.

What kind of microphone do you have? Some cheaper condensers and dynamics are known to have really bad signal-to-noise specs (more hiss in the signal).

How loud is your source? If not loud enough you'll get more noise.

The Scarlet 2i2 works just fine with microphones.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
sm57, right?
Probably your mic preamp is just too low pr cable has issues. How about running the amp louder, do you increase the pickup? What about current situation when it is low, normalize one track and see if it is still noisy.

I found this explanation which makes sense, noisy preamps and low output of the sm57 offer low input signal:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbie-audio-engineering-production-question-zone/1007458-scarlett-2i2-shure-sm57-gain-problems-print.html

Maybe you can buy a small used mixer or one of these to run in front of the 2i2:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TubeMP/
^ What the chemist said. The noise floor on a dynamic mic is higher than that of a condenser mic. So if your signal into the mic is weak then boosting it too much later will raise the noise floor along with it which will become audible as white noise. You need to improve or boost the signal the mic is receiving.

How close is your mic to the amp? Maybe you need to put it a little closer. An inch closer can make a big difference. Just try different positions.

If your signal is still to weak turn up the volume on your amp rather than trying to boost the signal through gain on the mic.

If noise (as in turning the amp up loud) is an issue then you can direct input your guitar. If you want the sound of your amp then does it have a line out or headphone jack that you could use to feed into the 2i2?

The less post gain you use the better for recording purposes. The condenser mics work differently than the dynamic mics.
Si
Thanks guys. Sorry didn't see the great replies until i posted another thread.

I found the exact same thread over at gearslutz

Now im considering returning the 2i2 for an apogee duet OR getting a CL-1 cloudlifter.

I'll cancel my other thread.

Let me know what you think and if you would band-aid with the CL-1 or return the 2i2 while i have the chance. Don't have the $$ for the apogee, but rather return and over spend while i can....

Is the CL-1 just a good tool to have or is it an expensive band-aid to shitty pre-amp gain?
Last edited by boyd98 at Jan 31, 2016,
Quote by boyd98
Thanks guys. Sorry didn't see the great replies until i posted another thread.

I found the exact same thread over at gearslutz

Now im considering returning the 2i2 for an apogee duet OR getting a CL-1 cloudlifter.

I'll cancel my other thread.

Let me know what you think and if you would band-aid with the CL-1 or return the 2i2 while i have the chance. Don't have the $$ for the apogee, but rather return and over spend while i can....

Is the CL-1 just a good tool to have or is it an expensive band-aid to shitty pre-amp gain?

I've seen them used, but have no experience myself. Try it out first.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale