Doesn't seem the hardcore forum ever had a dedicated crust thread. For shame. Even if it did, it's probably best left in the crypts at this point considering this place is straight up comatose. Ironically, the metal forum would probably appreciate these more, but I have plans to commandeer this forum. Now, get fucked on some of this shit

Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Last edited by Kytokinesis at Jan 28, 2016,
I've been looking for some crust bands to get a feel from the genre, I'm definitely stickying this to check all of this out.

If I've understood it correctly, crust is kind of a precursor to sludge metal? It's kind of a slower and heavier version of hc punk? I might be spouting nonsense haha, but I guess I can find out myself.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Crust takes a lot of influence from Discharge and metal bands like Motorhead, Hellhammer, and Venom. D-beat or discore specifically refers to bands that took Discharge's drumbeat. Sludge's big inspirations are doom metal bands like Sabbath and St. Vitus, as well as Black Flag's My War, and The Melvins. (As I understand it).

I think crust and sludge are two branching paths. Probably branched off at around the same time. But some sludge bands do have crusty parts thrown in their songs.

Hey yea I forgot all about His Hero Is Gone, so thanks for that. I added Dystopia too since they are pretty popular in the crust scene. Dead in the Dirt however seems more grind/sludge to me. From what I've heard of Cursed they seem more sludge to me.

I feel like Cursed are too fast too often to just be more sludge than anything, though they definitely have a decent amount of sludgier songs. I feel like they're a Crust/Sludge blend kind of like Dystopia, but obviously with a different style and vibe. Check out this album> Cursed - One
Last edited by Million Dead at Jan 24, 2016,
Fair enough, added Cursed down there with Dystopia. "I" does have a lot of crust in it.

Shame this isn't getting that much discussion, not that it's a surpirse considering that the whole forum has become increasingly silent over the years (I've been lurking here for years before making my own account, I recall there being a lot more traffic in like 2011). I guess it's time to listen to some of this stuff now.

Crust isn't really that much of a thing here in Finland, at least I've never heard of a Crust scene in my home city for example. Now that I listen to this stuff in more depth, I notice that it actually doesn't sound much like what I was expecting from verbal descriptions and stuff, but it's one of the more interesting styles of punk at least for me. Music like this usually helps me unwind, so I might save this stuff for a time I feel really pissed and stressed out I should listen to more punk in general anyway.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I used to do a grindcore show on the radio (it also included related styles like power violence, street punk, screamo, etc) and one episode I played See Nothing, Hear Nothing, Say Nothing in full. It was pretty great.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
I used to do a grindcore show on the radio (it also included related styles like power violence, street punk, screamo, etc) and one episode I played See Nothing, Hear Nothing, Say Nothing in full. It was pretty great.

Awesome. Did your listeners dig it?

@Kev: I'm glad you've given some of this stuff a chance. Have you checked out Disfear from the list? One of my personal favorites (latest album + single).

Also we really should make an effort to post more in this subforum. I guess all the hardcore regulars just vanished after the merger. But I dig some emo and post-hardcore too.

Quote by Kytokinesis
Awesome. Did your listeners dig it?

I don't know. We don't get a ton of listener feedback.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I like post-punk and some emo. I know there are folks in other forums who want to talk about punk again too.

Anyways, crust it's basically Dystopia for me. These guys too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hRklnLZ7z0

Honestly crust, powerviolence, and grind have been so confused and muddied by definitions over time. I've only been listening to crust and the like for maybe...5 years tops. In that time I've heard Siege defined as crust, powerviolence, hardcore, post-punk (lol), grindcore.

Kind of same thing with Amebix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROKTacs02DU

Hardcore, punk, crust. No idea what it is, but it's good.

...Another crust band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twFu0ZABwvk

I'd love to hear someone of older generations explain the differences and what bands fall in which category. Not like there are too many genre snobs in punk thankfully.
It's simple. All of them are hardcore subgenres. Crust is dirty, extra hard hardcore with a small amount of metal crossover (thrash mainly). Grindcore is in a way kind of like more extreme crust. Grindcore takes more crossover ideas from metal (mostly thrash and early death metal) similarly to how some black, death, and thrash metal bands take influence from hardcore. Power violence is a bit more dissonant than grindcore, but the key difference is that it has less metal influence than grindcore.
Quote by Kytokinesis
@Kev: I'm glad you've given some of this stuff a chance. Have you checked out Disfear from the list? One of my personal favorites (latest album + single).

Also we really should make an effort to post more in this subforum. I guess all the hardcore regulars just vanished after the merger. But I dig some emo and post-hardcore too.

I did check most of the stuff here and Disfear was among them, but I need some further listening to make up my opinion. It all sounded pretty good though.

What exactly happened? Was there like separate forums for HC and punk and they got merged? I'm down for posting more in here, I like discovering new music and punk with it's numerous subgenres is a gold mine for me.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Quote by Kevätuhr
What exactly happened? Was there like separate forums for HC and punk and they got merged? I'm down for posting more in here, I like discovering new music and punk with it's numerous subgenres is a gold mine for me.

That is exactly what happened. Half of the original music sub-forums got little to no traffic and the mods decided to merge several of them together to clean it up a little.

This is crust, right?

Quote by Morphogenesis26
That is exactly what happened. Half of the original music sub-forums got little to no traffic and the mods decided to merge several of them together to clean it up a little.

This is crust, right?

Sounds like it to me. Pretty killer actually, nice find.

Edit: Damn how'd I forget G.I.S.M.? Great band. Amebix is pretty essential although they're kind of different from most of the other bands. I'd say Amebix by far has one of the most "metal" sounds in crust.

Last edited by Kytokinesis at Feb 29, 2016,
Quote by Kytokinesis
Have you checked out Disfear from the list? One of my personal favorites (latest album + single).

I listened to some more Disfear, their earlier stuff (a brutal sight of war) as well as the newest album and man they're really good. Their music has a surprising amount of depth, and it's pretty damn heavy. There are metal bands that sounds less metal than them. I'll keep on listening to this band, liking all of their stuff so far.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Yeah, all their stuff is great. Live the Storm is my personal favorite because of how well it channels trad heavy metal and speed metal into their crust sound. their new single from 2008 or whatever fucking rips. GOD DAMN they need to put out another album with more songs like that.

Niiice haven't been here on this forum in awhile. Lately I've been powering through Dystopia and actually a lot of Dino's bands, Carcinogen, Noothgrush. Sleep and Sanctity are awesome songs. Also I see a lot of grindcore being mentioned here and all I gotta say for that is: SIEGE!!!!!!!
Quote by Million Dead
I'm glad more people are checking out this thread! These guys are from Japan and they sound like crust to me.

Can't tell you if it's technically hardcore or crust or whatever but it's definitely extreme punk and it sounded pretty good.

Japan actually has very strong punk and extreme metal scenes and they never cease to surprise. I have a friend who got really into japanese metal after I introduced him to Sigh and he keeps coming up with great new bands every week, and I've discovered some amazing stuff myself. There's a thread about japanese hardcore and metal in the metal subforum that's going pretty strong right now if you're interested.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Cool find, Million. They pretty much sound like crust to me. Not sure what else to call them honestly. And yeah I'm glad this thread is seeing some traffic, too. I haven't been listening to much of this stuff in the last few weeks but I'll do some more hunting for obscure bands soon.

Quote by zack.samford
Niiice haven't been here on this forum in awhile. Lately I've been powering through Dystopia and actually a lot of Dino's bands, Carcinogen, Noothgrush. Sleep and Sanctity are awesome songs. Also I see a lot of grindcore being mentioned here and all I gotta say for that is: SIEGE!!!!!!!

Dystopia is definitely the fukking shit.

cool thread but COME ON! GISM is not crust haha

to me, crust is basically hardcore that wanted to be more violent and steeped themselves in Hellhammer and Venom to make it so. important factors being the d-beat, hardcore styled riffing warped into a wall-of-noise type of onslaught, and typically harsh (yet varied - yelled, rasped, growled etc) vocals. it's obviously also replete with hard left political themes, but i prefer to ignore that part of it. i think it often benefits from raw, lo-fi production, similar to black metal

anyway, cool band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB6d6gMckR8
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Never got the idea between punk genres, I kind of just do the dumb thing and go with general opinion. I've only been listening to it for two or three years tops whereas metal is about ten, so genres come easier in metal for me. thanks for the explanation,

MHdrunk, give me some crust that I can listen to. Lots of it. (please of course, wouldn't be Canadian if I didn't say please)
hey, will post back here in half an hour or so with some recs, but i haven't really listened to crust in a looooong time aside from the past couple of days, so my memory isn't too great :p also, check the GISM thread over in the metal forum
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

here's something of a list. some of these you probably already know, the first 4 are certainly classics that everyone should. some of these bands (Shitlickers, Moderat Likvidation, Terveet Kadet) were proto crust. The separate list at the bottom is just a few other awesome 80s extreme hardcore bands, not necessarily crust:

Anti-Cimex
Antischism
Antisect
Axegrinder
Hellkrusher
Martyrdod (blackened)
Massappeal
Misery
Nausea
Extinction of Mankind
Deviated Instinct
Crude SS
Avskum
Shitlickers
Moderat Likvidation
Concrete Sox
Terveet Kadet

Heresy
Deep Wound
Larm
Ripcord

Victims - A Dissident
Victims - Sirens

Modern heavy metal infused d-beat/crust with galloping riffs and blazing, melodic leads similar to newer Disfear. Just the way I like it.

Agnosy - Past the Point of No Return
Agnosy - Traits of the Past

Death metal inspired crust. Brooding atmosphere with stripped-down, no-nonsense riffing and crushing vocals.

Leper - End Progress, 'blackened' crust with ska and grind influence, really cool listen.

Some more 'blackened' crust:
Bhopal - Age of Darkness
Wolvefrost - Barbarian Hellstorm

I know this thread hasn't been touched in a minute and this band has already been mentioned, but I've been jamming Skitsystem something fierce. Rips my face off. Also, there's this Japanese crustcore band called Muga that everyone should check out. I haven't listened to them yet, but apparently Ictus from Spain is also worth checking out.