Hi folks...

My current gear is Ibanez RG320FM, Ltd EC401VF, Laney IRT Studio Head + Laney IRT112 Cabinet, and Boss GT8... I am dying to get a Gibson Les Paul but it is really too expensive for me to get a nice standard or traditional Les Paul.

Today I passed by Yamaha store and came across their mini amp THR5... It is a crazy little monster.. very loud, equipped with some nice effects and built in tuner... One of the models supports USB and recording...

The craze move... sell my Laney and Boss GT8 and get this small THR and use teh cash difference in getting the Gibson Les Paul... Should I do it???
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM (With Upgrades)
Laney IRT Studio (IRT112 Cab)
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
What's your budget look like? You can almost certainly get a used Standard or a (really) nice Japanese copy.

The Yamaha is a decent enough amp for practicing and such, but I feel like you're not going to be able to appreciate how the LP sounds through that amp. I'd suggest saving up a bit longer and looking at your used options before downgrading your amp to pay for a guitar.
From the gear and the move you'd be willing to make, I'd gather you only play at home and maybe record some stuff. I think this kind of thing really depends on where you're at. If you feel like you're not playing to your fullest or not playing a lot and you'd play more and possibly better with a better guitar, I could totally see you downgrading on the amp and getting the nice guitar.

If this is a case of wanting a new piece of gear just because, I'd follow the advice given and save up more. The Japanese copy call is a good one, but I could totally understand you wanting an actual Gibson. If you're purely looking to get a great sounding Les Paul and don't have the biggest budget, they're a very valid option though.
I think Gibsons are totally overrated, but thats just my opinion. Id rather have an epiphone LP with a nice finish and a great guitar amp. Overpriced guitar is overpriced
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

To be completely honest I really don't see you getting more than say $6-700 for your amp and GT-8 combined on the used market. Subtract the price of a THR5 that leaves you with $4-500. Not nearly enough for a decent Gibson, unless you have funds on the side.

Also, Gibsons are not something you want to cheap out on. I find unless you are paying at least $700 for a used one it won't be all you think it's cracked up to be.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Or you could find an old Yamaha SG (or SBG in the US). They are built practically exactly the same way as a LP using the same timber and scale length. You will probably want to swap the pups in a LP and maybe on the Yammy as well. You'll save a lot of money and get something that is the same apart from the shape.
Well, the SG1000 and 2000 have the bridge mount on a brass block, the 500 is straight into the wood. Apart from that, they are the same thing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Also, I can see you not wanting, but I see you have 3 guitars in your signature. Do you need them all, consider you'd have a Gibson LP on top? I'm all for having different guitars for different things, but if you only play in one tuning, there really isn't a need to have 4 guitars with humbuckers, in my opinion.

Also, play the guitar you're actually buying first. While I think they're getting better at consistency, I've played Les Pauls that were the same model from the same year that differed in quality quite a bit. Too much to be worth the same amount of money, in my opinion.
Quote by Cathbard
Or you could find an old Yamaha SG (or SBG in the US). They are built practically exactly the same way as a LP using the same timber and scale length. You will probably want to swap the pups in a LP and maybe on the Yammy as well. You'll save a lot of money and get something that is the same apart from the shape.
Well, the SG1000 and 2000 have the bridge mount on a brass block, the 500 is straight into the wood. Apart from that, they are the same thing.

Aren't those things well over a grand now? The ones I see are, anyway.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I dunno, I scored a nice one for $700 here.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Will you guys stop recommending all the gear I want to buy?

TS, you should probably buy something newer so you don't have to deal with old crappy guitars.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
TS I have done what you are suggesting, and I wouldn't recommend it. Even if you could afford a quality LP after selling your stuff, what good is it if you can't appreciate the sound through your little THR? I have played those little amps, very unfulfilling
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Cathbard

And they're dead sexy.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Thanks for the replies...

What's your budget look like? You can almost certainly get a used Standard or a (really) nice Japanese copy.
Budget up to $1,250 and I want t Gibson. I purchased my Ltd EC410VF to compensate my desperate for a Gibson LP and the guitar plays amazing but guess what... I still want a Gibson LP

Also, I can see you not wanting, but I see you have 3 guitars in your signature. Do you need them all, consider you'd have a Gibson LP on top? I'm all for having different guitars for different things, but if you only play in one tuning, there really isn't a need to have 4 guitars with humbuckers, in my opinion.
I am thinking of selling the Ltd because actually I bought it to compensate my desperate for Gibson LP. But I have just purchased it few months ago "new" so selling it will make me lose a lot

TS, you should probably buy something newer so you don't have to deal with old crappy guitars.
For Gibsons in particular, people recommend older production line (2005 - 2011) more than newer ones especially 2015

TS I have done what you are suggesting, and I wouldn't recommend it. Even if you could afford a quality LP after selling your stuff, what good is it if you can't appreciate the sound through your little THR? I have played those little amps, very unfulfilling
This is something where I should stop at... I tried the Yamaha for few minutes at the store and I was impressed by the sound and features (effects and tuner and compact size)... I know it is below my Laney IRT Studio but is the gap really wide??
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Quote by mockbel
This is something where I should stop at... I tried the Yamaha for few minutes at the store and I was impressed by the sound and features (effects and tuner and compact size)... I know it is below my Laney IRT Studio but is the gap really wide??

Freakin HUGE, man.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yamaha really does need to take a lesson or two from such inspiring American companies as Gibson and Harley Davidson.

I'm so glad they don't make cars.

EDIT: Oh ahaha I thought you where referring to the guitar so I spit out the most sarcastic bullshit I could think of.

Yeah that amp really does probably kinda suck.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Jan 24, 2016,
Quote by Cathbard
Freakin HUGE, man.

Case closed... I won't do it

Thanks all
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
I actually had a lot of hope for the THR before I tried it, I like Yamaha, generally speaking they make some good shit, but that thing was kind of sad
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Cathbard
Freakin HUGE, man.

Truth. I really enjoyed the yamaha amp, and the idea, but I just never made the purchase. I don't play enough at home, i spend too much time on the road. I think I'll eventually get something small like a n POD, but thats way down the road.

I recommend not buying anything under an Gibson LP Studio. Even that is a little lower end then i'd like, I think some years are better than others. Gibson's lower end isnt something i would like to play, id grab a high end epi over a low end gibson. Save what you can and look for a traditional LP or a lp classic used, if you want a gibson that badly. you can definitely work out a deal for 1300 if you sit and wait a bit.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
to be completely honest I wish I knew what you were talking about.
There are gems to be found in the lower pricerange of Gibson for sure. I played an SGJ that was easily on par with a Standard quality wise. It might have been just that one though. It could also be me, but the big difference between a Studio and a Standard is the visual aspect. Nothing wrong with their sound or their playability in my opinion, they just don't look as nice.
I was about to purchase the 2016 studio... I was holding it in my hand and it plays very well... I haven't purchased it just for 1 reason... I will still be dreaming of the totally different finish of the standard or traditional (body binding, gloss finish, the word "Standard or Traditional". etc...) so I decided to wait...
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
I f your budget is that much I'd even recommend looking at other LP clones around that price range, namely Edwards and Electra. Once you get over that Gibson is really just a name and you compare specs for prices between brands you'll realize Gibson is a premium just for the name.

My Electra out plays many of the $2k+ Gibsons I've played. And it's spec'd like a USA Custom Shop.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I have essentially the same Electra- mine is in a different finish. Those things ARE sweet.
http://www.electraguitar.com/pages/electra-omega-prime
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 25, 2016,
Oh yeah- Carvin makes some killer LP-style guitars. Definitely worth considering.

I know there are some Japanese clones that are affordable and plays similar or even better than some Gibsons... but you know, dream is a dream
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Definitely, and I understand completely. Sometimes substitutes- no matter how good- will not satisfy.