So i changed out my dual humbucker guitar's bridge hb with a single coil. I just dropped in and soldered the single coil into the same spot the hb was soldered onto on the pickup selector, only problem is that the stock ibz pickup has a ground and 2 wires, a white and a red.fat 50s bridge only has the ground wire and one wire. so i connected that wire to one of the spots where the stock pickup was connected, and left the other blank

now i'm getting
1:Bridge (Single coil)
2:Bridge and split coil neck (only the inner coil of the neck humbucker is activated, the one in the direction of the fretboard is off)
3:Bridge (again!!)
4:neck
5:neck (again!!!)

is there any other wiring options out there? or am i stuck with this? from another thread i made, someone said i could get 4 different positions, not two.
Any way to get the quack sound??? first pic is the old set up, 2nd is the new set up with new pickup. You can tell because it doesn't look as clean

http://imgur.com/a/22mPD
bridge and neck again as in positions 3/5 you'd need an expensive super 5 way blade switch with 24-ish contacts because each position on the switch is isolated. Where as a standard Ibanez or Fender switch isn't. You have 8 contacts and are very limited.

if you get push pull pots they are slightly cheaper but with two you can do just about anything.

for pickup color codes
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams.humbucker_wiring_color_codes/

with pickups if you got 4 wires these are some common ideas to give you some options, but again the only way to really push the guitar to the next level is with a super 5 way switch like oaks and grigsby or schallers mega switch. With 2 wire pickups you only get that one sound, the rest is relied on effects, capacitors and all.
coilsplit - isolate on half of say a humbucker
out of phase
half out of phase
parallel aka coiltap - hum cancelling, really weak sound (hot humbuckers work best with this because of that)

assuming you have two 4 wire pickups and a 5 way switch , basic 8 contacts this is the best you'll do. I honestly suggest a push pull pot or two in the guitar to really expand as two from Alpha or Dimarzio (CTS makes them). Because with two push pulls and a lot pf patience this LTD I worked on during the summer (i think) does 12 tones.

both are 4 wire pickups, i forget exactly but it's an MH-327, hot or cool rails? all in all it sounded awesome.

and if you get two push pulls , many on here would consider this overkill but if you want a guitar to do almost everything go for it. By the way I'm using a 3 way blade. I'll have the import style blade switch photoshopped probably by the end of the night.
Quote by Tallwood13
bridge and neck again as in positions 3/5 you'd need an expensive super 5 way blade switch with 24-ish contacts because each position on the switch is isolated. Where as a standard Ibanez or Fender switch isn't. You have 8 contacts and are very limited.

if you get push pull pots they are slightly cheaper but with two you can do just about anything.

for pickup color codes
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams.humbucker_wiring_color_codes/

with pickups if you got 4 wires these are some common ideas to give you some options, but again the only way to really push the guitar to the next level is with a super 5 way switch like oaks and grigsby or schallers mega switch. With 2 wire pickups you only get that one sound, the rest is relied on effects, capacitors and all.
coilsplit - isolate on half of say a humbucker
out of phase
half out of phase
parallel aka coiltap - hum cancelling, really weak sound (hot humbuckers work best with this because of that)

assuming you have two 4 wire pickups and a 5 way switch , basic 8 contacts this is the best you'll do. I honestly suggest a push pull pot or two in the guitar to really expand as two from Alpha or Dimarzio (CTS makes them). Because with two push pulls and a lot pf patience this LTD I worked on during the summer (i think) does 12 tones.

both are 4 wire pickups, i forget exactly but it's an MH-327, hot or cool rails? all in all it sounded awesome.

and if you get two push pulls , many on here would consider this overkill but if you want a guitar to do almost everything go for it. By the way I'm using a 3 way blade. I'll have the import style blade switch photoshopped probably by the end of the night.

im grateful for the help but i find it hard to understand you most of the time.
any questions we're all here to help so we're all on the same page. Seymour Duncan forum, google and all helped a lot.

ok, put simply unless you get an expensive switch like this you cannot do that wiring. Notice all the extra parts? they are what make you able to achieve the wiring you mentioned.

with two wire pickups you only get the one sound out of them called series which is full power. If you have even one pickup with four wires you can get different sounds.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jan 24, 2016,
I'm just here to learn.. I have no idea how to solve the problem I need to become a registered user to ask some questions of my own. hope you figure everything out.