So, I was venturing through the jungles of ebay and found this brand called "Bixby". They're cheap but still seem like they're decent quality. Chibson? or Genuine and just over-advertised guitars that actually are not good quality at all?

Bixby Venom eBay
well that is really cheap and i'm guessing comes under the heading of "you get what you pay for". i have some doubts on wood quality etc.
Genuine likely Chinese made LP style. I wouldn't bite, since you could get a used Epi Standard LP for not much more coin.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Genuine what? I mean it's a genuine really cheap guitar. If you're lucky it might come with genuine strings. Practically speaking it is probably crap, though.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by monwobobbo
well that is really cheap and i'm guessing comes under the heading of "you get what you pay for". i have some doubts on wood quality etc.

This.

If something looks too good to be true, it probably is.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Tough to say since this is a new label and nobody knows anything about them. It might be a great deal on a somewhat decent guitar but most likely not. If you're looking for a decent LP knock-off, Agile and Epiphone are probably the best bets. Actually Epiphone isn't really a knock-off since they are owned by Gibson. Agile has been around awhile and get very good reviews.
Look, they are selling this thing new for $169. They are making a profit not "giving you a deal". That means that guitars probably cost less than $80 to make. If you're foolish enough to throw your money after something like this you deserve what ever happens to you.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Look, they are selling this thing new for $169. They are making a profit not "giving you a deal". That means that guitars probably cost less than $80 to make. If you're foolish enough to throw your money after something like this you deserve what ever happens to you.

FWIW (I was reminded of this at NAMM), importers figure the sellng price (at a Guitar Denter, for example) of a guitar at 6 to 10 times what they pay for them (in volume orders). And that gives the manufacturing plant a healthy profit in the process. If they're paying the manufacturer $50 for the guitar, your price will be $350-500. The guitar was likely produced, packaged and put on the boat for half that (perhaps $25).

That's usually an eye-opener for newbs at NAMM.
Quote by dspellman
FWIW (I was reminded of this at NAMM), importers figure the sellng price (at a Guitar Denter, for example) of a guitar at 6 to 10 times what they pay for them (in volume orders). And that gives the manufacturing plant a healthy profit in the process. If they're paying the manufacturer $50 for the guitar, your price will be $350-500. The guitar was likely produced, packaged and put on the boat for half that (perhaps $25).

In my day working at a music store (kid in the 70's) the average markup was close to 80%. So if I was told the price of a guitar $1400 we probably paid less than $800 for it. Of course that didn't include the distributor's markup before they sold to us so......
Moving on.....
Like people have mentioned, I would just save up and get an Epiphone. Doesn't matter if it's a new one or a used one, you'll have a better guitar in every way.

I have purchased quite a few cheapo guitars and I can say that all of them needed at least some level of work to get them usable and then extra cash thrown into them to get them sounding nice. By the time you get pickups, tuners, new bridge etc... you'll be coming very close (if not more) than the price of an Epiphone. If you don't know how to fix and install the stuff yourself you'll be paying even more to get a shop to do it for you.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I have several Epiphone LP's and they are really nice, I also have an Agile and an old Ibanez 1976 LP copy. They are all nice. I recommend the Agile. A decent Epiphone Standard will cost $350-400 used and more than $500 new. For $250-350 you can get a brand new and very nice Agile LP that looks, feels and sounds amazing.

I have never heard of a Bixby so I have no idea where it comes from. I do have three Chibson's and with considerable work changing the hardware (which I enjoy doing) they can be good guitars. Buy an Agile or an Epiphone Standard, Traditional, Tribute or higher end Epiphone's. Stay away from the Studios, Juniors or the lesser quality (under $300) Epiphones. They are cheaper student modals.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 25, 2016,
Another option is the PRS SE Line. The SE Standard 245 looks like a lot of guitar for approx the same price as a new Epi. Standard.
Sometimes you'll luck out and find a decent guitar in a cheap model, you'll just have to try a few more of them to do it. Sometimes you'll end up with something that in a few years will be firewood. I still remember a fellows Sub-$200 new Ibanez with a Wizard neck. Don't know what they did to the wood before using it if anything but it developed the largest hump in the neck I've ever seen. Basically unplayable. When you buy a guitar that costs less than $100 to build you are not paying for conditioned woods, or even woods screened to remove defects and flaws in the grains.
Moving on.....
Quote by dspellman

do you have any links to back this up? that seems pretty high. even with chinese wages i can't see how a guitar can be that cheap. if we were talking Squier that retails for $179 this formula says it would only cost as low as $18 out the door and even less for the actual cost of making it. not to sure i can buy that.

oh and Ken G if a guitar is put out at retail at 1400 and you said it had a 80% mark up it would have cost the store a lot less than 800. just saying
As with any formula, it breaks down at the extreme ends. Not surprisingly the markup and margins on the very cheapest of the cheap are going to be lower than the rule of thumb mentioned earlier.

In any case, you won't find a link or anything on it. No retailer is going to release or admit to that information, true or not. That's a bar-time conversation off the record. That's how all the good information gets passed around anyway; if it weren't so secret, it would be in print.
Quote by monwobobbo
do you have any links to back this up? that seems pretty high. even with chinese wages i can't see how a guitar can be that cheap. if we were talking Squier that retails for $179 this formula says it would only cost as low as $18 out the door and even less for the actual cost of making it. not to sure i can buy that.

oh and Ken G if a guitar is put out at retail at 1400 and you said it had a 80% mark up it would have cost the store a lot less than 800. just saying

Well my percentage was a rough figure but a 800 guitar marked up a 100% would be 1600 (orig price + 100% of that price = Double Orig price). If you do that with 80% of 800 it comes to 1460 so I wasn't THAT far off. Are you by some chance trying to take 80% of 1400 off? It doesn't work that way, marking up refers to the percentage applied to the initial cost, trying to figure out from the final price what the initial price was will never give you the same percentage, it will always be smaller. Simple math rule there.

200 marked up 50% = 300 but the difference between 200 & 300 is 100 or 33%. See what I mean?
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jan 25, 2016,
Quote by KenG
Well my percentage was a rough figure but a 800 guitar marked up a 100% would be 1600 (orig price + 100% of that price = Double Orig price). If you do that with 80% of 800 it comes to 1460 so I wasn't THAT far off. Are you by some chance trying to take 80% of 1400 off? It doesn't work that way, marking up refers to the percentage applied to the initial cost, trying to figure out from the final price what the initial price was will never give you the same percentage, it will always be smaller. Simple math rule there.

200 marked up 50% = 300 but the difference between 200 & 300 is 100 or 33%. See what I mean?

ok you're right. at work really long day
Quote by monwobobbo

Not everything has a link, but these are pretty standard figures within the industry, whether you "can buy that" or not. Go to NAMM, buy some beers for folks. They'll show you the flippin' spreadsheets!

That Squier may be produced for as MUCH as $30, but I'm guessing less, and closer to $20. RondoMusic has decent enough strat-alikes available for $79.95 (http://www.rondomusic.com/product7006.html ). Remember that Rondo is making a healthy *profit* off that guitar after Kurt has paid for a purchase in volume, and then had them shipped over 7000 miles from china or wherever they originate. In this case, Rondo is the importer and the retailer, but he's essentially eliminated the expense of a brick and mortar store, where Fender Squiers have all of that plus corporate profit tacked on.

The issue here is that most people have NO idea what it costs to build a guitar in volume, and vastly overestimate what they believe hardware and wood costs because they've only ever purchased that stuff in retail single packs.
Also look at the LTD EC series. A used EC-256 comes in under 300 beans.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by eragon1452
So, I was venturing through the jungles of ebay and found this brand called "Bixby". They're cheap but still seem like they're decent quality. Chibson? or Genuine and just over-advertised guitars that actually are not good quality at all?

First, you need to understand what a "Chibson" refers to.
That's a guitar that's Chinese in origin and attempts to copy a particular GIBSON guitar, right down to the brand name on the headstock.

Without the Gibson brand name, the guitar is simply a clone and no longer a Chibson.

Determining whether an inexpensive guitar is quality or not is a whole different thing.