With my Mackie Onyx Blackjack, I am noticing some artifacts or lag in my recordings. For example, in just the first few seconds of this video you can hear the sound somewhat stutter. I notice it most with a bright frequency source/tones.

I had posted a while back about my interface continually cutting off, and it seems that putting my computer on high performance helps that. I am not sure if the interface still is not getting proper power to send and receive high-end. Or maybe it is stuttering across the whole frequency spectrum and I am just not noticing it. Or maybe you do not hear the stutter! And maybe I am doing something wrong, too!

Anyways, I am just curious if I should look into a new interface sometime soon. I noticed that the MOB has went down from $149 to $99 over the past few months (I bought it at $99) so maybe I should look into a Focusrite 2i2 (worried about headroom, though). I am not looking for a vertical leap in quality here, just a horizontal leap. I think the MOB is perfect for my use, aside from the laggy artifacts. I do need at least two simultaneous inputs and a headphone out. I use Audacity as my DAW so that may be a part of it as well.

And as always, please let me know if the Focusrite would not help in this regard, or if something else is a better option. Maybe I should take a bigger leap in quality! Thanks!
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 24, 2016,
I Reckon before getting a new interface ask around and see if everyone with your interface has the same problems, most interfaces should have no stutter/lag , i had issues with my focusrite forte which is an expensive interface for a 2 port one, troubleshooted,was a driver issue, now it works great.
Have you tried looking into your driver's settings? What are your PC's specs? Have you tried a different DAW? (Try Reaper, it's free and way better than Audacity) Have you tried different cables? (Maybe a faulty USB cable could cause some issues with that, but not sure. Still worth checking I guess)
I wouldn't switch yet...I think it might be Audacity.

What drivers are you using in Audacity?
I think it has MME and DirectSound drivers, I think DirectSound are faster (so try changing - right under the pause and play buttons), but I'd try proper ASIO drivers before discarding the Onyx.
Here's what I found out about Audacity, apparently no ASIO support due to licensing.
http://sourceforge.net/p/audacity/mailman/message/27258247/

Try this:
https://shop.presonus.com/products/studio-one-prods/Studio-One-Free

or get Reaper. I suggest 32bit in both cases if you plan to use freeware fx.
Last edited by diabolical at Jan 25, 2016,
Quote by ZaidRockso
I Reckon before getting a new interface ask around and see if everyone with your interface has the same problems, most interfaces should have no stutter/lag , i had issues with my focusrite forte which is an expensive interface for a 2 port one, troubleshooted,was a driver issue, now it works great.
About the drivers, according to Mackie there is no driver support for Windows 8 (OS of my laptop). Maybe I could still try to update the audio drivers of my computer, dunno.
Quote by DanyFS
Have you tried looking into your driver's settings? What are your PC's specs? Have you tried a different DAW? (Try Reaper, it's free and way better than Audacity) Have you tried different cables? (Maybe a faulty USB cable could cause some issues with that, but not sure. Still worth checking I guess)
Yes, not sure (but not very good), not with the MOB, no. I will try updating drivers in a bit.
Quote by diabolical
I wouldn't switch yet...I think it might be Audacity.

What drivers are you using in Audacity?
I think it has MME and DirectSound drivers, I think DirectSound are faster (so try changing - right under the pause and play buttons), but I'd try proper ASIO drivers before discarding the Onyx.
Here's what I found out about Audacity, apparently no ASIO support due to licensing.
http://sourceforge.net/p/audacity/mailman/message/27258247/

Try this:
https://shop.presonus.com/products/studio-one-prods/Studio-One-Free

or get Reaper. I suggest 32bit in both cases if you plan to use freeware fx.
I can't remember, I am not at my CP now. I think I have used both before. I've already learned Audacity pretty well so I am reluctant to switch for my usage, but I guess I might have to. I did play around with Reaper a while back but never felt the need to purchase it. I'll give the Presonus DAW a try if I cannot get Audacity working better.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 25, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
About the drivers, according to Mackie there is no driver support for Windows 8 (OS of my laptop). Maybe I could still try to update the audio drivers of my computer, dunno.

Yes, not sure (but not very good), not with the MOB, no. I will try updating drivers in a bit.

I can't remember, I am not at my CP now. I think I have used both before. I've already learned Audacity pretty well so I am reluctant to switch for my usage, but I guess I might have to. I did play around with Reaper a while back but never felt the need to purchase it. I'll give the Presonus DAW a try if I cannot get Audacity working better.

Fyi, you don't have to buy Reaper. After the so called 60 day trial, you can use it with no limitations whatsoever. It just opens a message asking you to buy one of the licenses. You can just close that message and keep using it.

Well, let us know when you update the drivers and if it changed anything. And yeah, try Reaper or any other good DAW. Almost anything is better than Audacity.
Last edited by DanyFS at Jan 25, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
About the drivers, according to Mackie there is no driver support for Windows 8 (OS of my laptop). Maybe I could still try to update the audio drivers of my computer, dunno.Yes, not sure (but not very good), not with the MOB, no. I will try updating drivers in a bit.I can't remember, I am not at my CP now. I think I have used both before. I've already learned Audacity pretty well so I am reluctant to switch for my usage, but I guess I might have to. I did play around with Reaper a while back but never felt the need to purchase it. I'll give the Presonus DAW a try if I cannot get Audacity working better.

You actually can't, I think you've reached end of the line with Audacity as it has no ASIO support which is what you need for low latency. If DirectSound drivers still give you issues, unfortunately, it is time to move on.

If you want something almost the same as Audacity - look at Sony Acid, Tracktion and Mixcraft, they have pretty much the same workflow. Studio One is also not that dissimilar, so you should be ok on that too, but honestly, d/load free trials and see what you like. Studio One is free for the version I posted so you might give it a shot. I'd be happy to help as I am quite well versed on it at this point.
Last edited by diabolical at Jan 25, 2016,
Rather than wait for when I need to record again, I thought I would try listening to just the audio in Audacity as an aup, and also the converted mp3 track. There was no lag or latency.

However, when I tried the MP4 of the actual video before it got to Youtube, I heard the latency. The Culprit: Windows Movie Maker. I did not think about suspecting the video editor.

Any suggestions for video editor software while we are here? I also have noticed that the setting for WMM that I have been using has be exporting audio at 48k, yet I have been recording in Audacity at 44.1k. Could that have something to do with it?
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 27, 2016,
Sony Movie Studio or Magix Movie Edit Pro. I also got great results with Roxio's bundled software that came with my last machine, maybe try theirs, they have the Roxio Easy CD & DVD @ $29.99, I think that was the equivalent what I had, very easy to edit and great results. I am using Sony Movie Studio now, but it is not as good as I remember Vegas, gets the job done though and is definitely a step up from Windows' bundled in movie editing.