Hi all, I've recently been looking into marketing my music, and I am always looking for new ways to reach out to new people turning them into fans. As most of you guys/gals will know on here that are in bands themselves, its difficult getting people to listen to your music never mind liking it or buying it.

I for one think that's to do with how many musicians there are... I feel as a musician trying to promote your music, we're all doing the same thing, and by the same thing I feel we are mostly promoting ourselves to each other, for example soundcloud, there are more musicians creating music on there than fans listening, and I know a lot of musicians don't really care about what the next guys doing so it kind of makes you feel no one cares about your music, not in all cases but I would say most.

I write music because I love doing it, it makes me happy. And I love the feeling of writing something that I like myself and that I would listen to even if I didn't write it(sounds strange, I know). So ask yourself this, would you like your music if you wasn't the one creating it ( I cant think of a better way of explaining this question lol)

Anyway, I've kind of gone of topic so back to it! What I want as a musician/band is to play bigger shows, get more fans, go on tour and all the stuff that comes with it... and truthfully I don't care about the money aspect of it, if I could eat, drink and have a roof over my head that's good for me.

I've done some research and came across this http://www.musicmarketingmanifesto.com/

Scam or legit? Not sure tbh, its really hard to tell, I cant find anything bad about it on the web anywhere, which makes it harder to make a decision on. I know this is more about marketing and selling your album which yes I would love to sell my album for the reason that someone likes my music enough to purchase it, but am more interested about getting those fans and getting people to the show etc..

What do you guys think about this? does it seem legit, or would you steer clear...
Last edited by heaven086 at Jan 24, 2016,
I'm not sure if I'd trust a marketing lesson DVD, especially since it advertises itself with the "secret strategy to success!" style. It's probably not bad per say, but I don't think it'd be anything mindblowing. Don't know, I have no experience with that in particular.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I'm not sure what would be on the DVD past what is freely available elsewhere.

I've had some success building the popularity of bands on the local scene, and it's not really rocket science. Basically making a good band is a small part of it. Once you have that down it's all about promotion, and willing to dedicate cash towards promotion.

I'm happy to give specific tips if you like. Or at least, what has worked for me.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Jan 25, 2016,
There is a series of books that have been around for a long time and are constantly updated called "This Business of Music". It's not expensive (about $16 on Amazon) and used copies go for half that. It really is a good series and goes into things you don't even know exist in the business. That's the major issue. There are so many things to know about from publishing to copywrite issue to distribution deals, management, record companies etc. It goes into the professional ways of approaching labels and publishers and how to do submissions that will get heard and not just go into the trash. If you approach the business as a noob you and your songs will get taken (almost a guarantee). You need to do some homework if you are serious about the business. The more you know the less likely you are to be disappointed.

Often the desire to be taken seriously and become a professional musician and get your material out there, causes people to take shortcuts mostly due to lack of knowledge and putting yourself in the hands of people who make a living at taking advantage of musicians who don't do some homework and are not knowledgeable about the business. Remember it's called the music "business" because it is a business. People in the business of selling music often don't care what you music sounds like, they only ask "Can I sell it?".
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 25, 2016,
Quote by AlanHB
I'm not sure what would be on the DVD past what is freely available elsewhere.

I've had some success building the popularity of bands on the local scene, and it's not really rocket science. Basically making a good band is a small part of it. Once you have that down it's all about promotion, and willing to dedicate cash towards promotion.

I'm happy to give specific tips if you like. Or at least, what has worked for me.

I would be happy to take some tips
Quote by heaven086
I would be happy to take some tips

No worries. I could go on about the subject but it's usually better to figure out what you want to do first.

Assuming you just have a general "get more popular" aim, could you please answer these questions:

1. Do you go to local gigs?
2. What makes you go/not go to local gigs?
3. How do you hear about local gigs?
4. How did you find out about a band you liked on the local scene?
Soundcloud
Listen to podcasts on Marketing. Free and full of heaps of information that can be applied to any field. I listen to:

- Small Business Big Marketing
- Vidpow Tube Talk
- Social Media Marketing podcast

Heaps of back episodes of each show that will give you ideas.
Visit my music school site for advice on gear, music theory and lessons.
www.essm.net.au
Quote by heaven086
Hi all, I've recently been looking into marketing my music, and I am always looking for new ways to reach out to new people turning them into fans. As most of you guys/gals will know on here that are in bands themselves, its difficult getting people to listen to your music never mind liking it or buying it.

I for one think that's to do with how many musicians there are... I feel as a musician trying to promote your music, we're all doing the same thing, and by the same thing I feel we are mostly promoting ourselves to each other, for example soundcloud, there are more musicians creating music on there than fans listening, and I know a lot of musicians don't really care about what the next guys doing so it kind of makes you feel no one cares about your music, not in all cases but I would say most.

I write music because I love doing it, it makes me happy. And I love the feeling of writing something that I like myself and that I would listen to even if I didn't write it(sounds strange, I know). So ask yourself this, would you like your music if you wasn't the one creating it ( I cant think of a better way of explaining this question lol)

Anyway, I've kind of gone of topic so back to it! What I want as a musician/band is to play bigger shows, get more fans, go on tour and all the stuff that comes with it... and truthfully I don't care about the money aspect of it, if I could eat, drink and have a roof over my head that's good for me.

I've done some research and came across this http://www.musicmarketingmanifesto.com/

Scam or legit? Not sure tbh, its really hard to tell, I cant find anything bad about it on the web anywhere, which makes it harder to make a decision on. I know this is more about marketing and selling your album which yes I would love to sell my album for the reason that someone likes my music enough to purchase it, but am more interested about getting those fans and getting people to the show etc..

What do you guys think about this? does it seem legit, or would you steer clear...

If you're willing to pay, you can try Tom Hess' Music Career's Mentoring Program.

It's not cheap but I've been doing it for 3 months, and things started moving fast in my career.

If you're real, dead serious about "making it" you might want to give it a try.

PS: I have not "made it" yet - which for me means I still have a day job. But I'm moving in that direction and the day when I can ditch the day job no longer seems far away.
Quote by Robert Callus
If you're willing to pay, you can try Tom Hess' Music Career's Mentoring Program.

Tom Hess's 5 Step Guide to Success

1. Shave your head and buy sunglasses.
2. Development a "curriculum" to sell to students.
3. Tell people that you learned from Tom Hess as your selling point.
4. Send $300 to Tom Hess for Step 5.

And that's success à la Tom Hess, aka the Pharaoh.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
If they can't tell you up front what you're paying for, it might as well be a scam. Don't pay others for something you can do for yourself.

Your goals are the same as every aspiring musician's, and enough of them have done this that there should be no secrets about what makes some successful and others not. It's just a job like any other, and you have to put in the work for yourself.

All those things you want you can do for yourself. Playing big shows, getting lots of "likes", and going on tour are things any shit musician can do. But they pay for it themselves. If you have deep pockets you can do what any suburban dad-band does and hire an web developer, a social media person, and a "booking agent", but their ability to help you is ultimately limited by your ability to put up good shows and recordings. People will do your facebook posts as long as you pay them, and they won't tell you what you're doing wrong.

What you're looking for is someone who does those things because they believe in you as a musician, and that means you have to be a reliable and motivated performer before anything else. You will have to pay them, and probably more than shill-for-hire, but they also won't accept your money if you suck.

In short, the things you want are things you have to do yourself before you'll ever find people who are willing to put in real effort to help you. No DVD of "marketing secrets" is going to inspire people to support you.
Quote by Robert Callus

It's not cheap but I've been doing it for 3 months, and things started moving fast in my career.

Hey cool it's one of those Tom Hess guys who use their real name as their user name for some sort of reward from Hess.

Are you including your band Blue Sky Abyss within this "moving fast" part of your life? https://m.facebook.com/BlueSkyAbyss/
Soundcloud
Hey, I just gave a suggestion as to what works for me. It doesn't mean it's going to work for everyone but if it gave me a satisfactory result, there's nothing wrong in suggesting it to someone else. I'm not expecting any reward, and I will not get any reward, just wanted to help.

As for Blue Sky Abyss, that's my band, it started long before I knew a guy called Tom Hess even existed.
Quote by Robert Callus
Hey, I just gave a suggestion as to what works for me. It doesn't mean it's going to work for everyone but if it gave me a satisfactory result, there's nothing wrong in suggesting it to someone else. I'm not expecting any reward, and I will not get any reward, just wanted to help.

As for Blue Sky Abyss, that's my band, it started long before I knew a guy called Tom Hess even existed.

We get a lot of guys who use their real names as their usernames signing up to the site simply to praise Tom Hess, so that's where my observation came from.

As for the band comment, I'm wondering whether when you say "it's worked for you" whether that statement includes the band or not. It would be useful to know the exact benefits reaped as a result of Hess' teachings.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
We get a lot of guys who use their real names as their usernames signing up to the site simply to praise Tom Hess, so that's where my observation came from.

As for the band comment, I'm wondering whether when you say "it's worked for you" whether that statement includes the band or not. It would be useful to know the exact benefits reaped as a result of Hess' teachings.

I use my real name because it's my name. Full stop. I don't need Tom Hess's approval, he's already taking my money, quite a lot of it.

I don't want to get into an analysis of Tom Hess, it's not my intention. I just gave a suggestion as to what works for me.

What I got from Tom Hess was changing my attitude and the way I view things. Following that I started planning my teaching business. 3 months ago teaching guitar as a profession was a wild dream. Now I started with three committed students and seven others who will start in the coming months.

The other members of Blue Sky Abyss are getting infected with my enthusiasm and we're recording a song that I believe is much better than what we've recorded so far.

Is it all thanks to Tom? Of course not. I'm working very hard, and paying a lot of money not only to Tom Hess himself but also in advertising.

All I can say is that it's working for me. Will I have the same opinion 6 months from now? I hope so. But for now it's working, I'm achieving my goals. I don't see anything wrong with suggesting what's working for me to someone else.