Hi - I recently purchased a Gallien-Krueger BM112 bass amp. The amp has a DI output using XLR. I also own an Apogee Jam 96k audio interface for the computer. When I bought the amp I also purchased a cable with XLR connector on one end and standard 1/4 inch TRS on the other - so that XLR connects to DI on amp, and 1/4 connects into Apogee Jam.

When I use this configuration in my DAW, I am getting a persistent high-pitched noise that is not standard hum - this is louder and higher. Any ideas what this could be, and how to fix it?
Quote by smtp4me
Any ideas what this could be, and how to fix it?
It's likely caused by the fact that you're connecting a line output into a hi-z input.

You could fix it by using a device that brings a line level signal to hi-z level or by using an audio interface with a line input.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
It's likely caused by the fact that you're connecting a line output into a hi-z input.

You could fix it by using a device that brings a line level signal to hi-z level or by using an audio interface with a line input.

Thanks! I did a quick search and found line level to hi-z converters for about $30 USD. Of course another option is a new interface such as Presonus or Focusrite that has both line and instrument inputs.
How about getting a fx send out of the amp via 1/4 instead? That should work, then throw in bass amp sim in there and you're set. If you want to use the amp at all, that is.
I usually record the bass direct and if I need a livelier sound, I mic a bass amp, usually amp dicrect outs don't sound very good. On bass guitars they're usually better, but you'd probably won't miss much going direct or just using your preamp and taking the fx send into the audio interface.