So I'm curious as a beginner at what point did you guys feel ready to apply your knowledge to writing your first song? I feel like I have a lot to say but I'm not sure how to say it, or even if I have the skills/knowledge to get it out. Musically I know I can create something meaningful with as little as two chords, but then lyyrically I have a lot going on in my head but when I try to put it to paper it just doesn't translate. Was thinking may taking some kind of poetry class or something. What did you guys do?
Having a concept or focus of the lyrics would be good. Also, keep writing. It may not be the entire piece in one sitting, but if you don't write, you won't get better. I use a notepad app on my phone to start ideas when they come to mind and flesh it out when I'm at my computer.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Just write stuff and listen to what others are writing. You'll hear songs differently once you start writing and learn how to use what you hear in your own material.

Before I was into metal I was an aspiring rapper. My first song was a formless piece of shit about robbing a bank or something. You've got to start somewhere! Don't worry about it "being good" yet.
I barely got the concept of writing songs to begin with after so many years of doing covers. Even now, I still have trickiness with it. The main thing is to just go at it, worry about the small stuff when it occurs, and just hope you can get it done. Keep the passion and excitement up for it, and it should all go well. ...now, about my writer's block
Quote by robertvigh
So I'm curious as a beginner at what point did you guys feel ready to apply your knowledge to writing your first song? I feel like I have a lot to say but I'm not sure how to say it, or even if I have the skills/knowledge to get it out. Musically I know I can create something meaningful with as little as two chords, but then lyyrically I have a lot going on in my head but when I try to put it to paper it just doesn't translate. Was thinking may taking some kind of poetry class or something. What did you guys do?

Songwriting, including lyrics, is something that needs to be learnt. And you learn it by doing it. You don't have to be an advanced musicians to write a good songs.

You will come up with crap that you'll throw away in the rubbish bin soon after you've written it. But you wouldn't have wasted your time writing it. It's part of the learning process.

In short, just go for it. Start writing what comes to your mind without worrying that it may be crap, because even if it is, you're benefiting from it anyway.

It may also help to read books or articles about the topic you're going to write lyrics about.
Hell, some lyrics are just too precious and awesome, despite being crap, to throw away heheheh and yep, all part of the learning processes
I messed around with music and invented instrumentals for a long time before I ever tried to write a songwriter song. I was always more into improvisation, and the musical side of things. But I think you're ready to start trying on day one, for piano. On guitar, you need to be able to play with correct timing, and playing notes is a bit more physically demanding, so it's kind of different.

If you want to write just start writing, and then try to improve on yourself every time you do.

There are things you can learn about songwriting, and you could take courses for that, same for poetry, there is actually a free songwriting course on coursera. But, I think depending on logic, or methodology alone, is not ideal, so trial and error and sort of winging it, I think is a good way to start.
Quote by CherokeShredder
I've always taken it to be understood that melody and instruments first, lyrics and vocals second

-Sharky

There is no good or bad way about it. Sometimes for instance, I read something I'm passionate about and a tune together with the words comes to my mind. Not necessarily while practicing, I could be waiting for the bus.

I memorize that tune/lyric and then find the harmony for it on the guitar.

Other times I come up with a chord progression or a riff and then add the lyrics.

I also have some lyrics that don't have music yet. I keep them spare so that if I find a progression, I'll see if they fit.

In short, whatever works is good.
Quote by TobusRex
Does it count if you steal the melody and put your own words with it?

For practice purposes that might be good, but if you publish it, that would be plagiarism.

Unconsciously we do take very small snippets of melodies we heard (motifs) and collage them together when invent new melodies. That's OK. Happens all the time. But if you're going to "steal" a whole melody line and write new lyrics over it, you can't.

Also, unless it's a parody of the song, say Weird Al style, it would sound unprofessional to whoever heard the original song