Hey, guys! Here are a couple of pretty short tracks I made in the past month that I'm a big fan of. They're supposed to be the first and second song in this EP idea I have. If I ever get a band together I'll definitely record these. Stylistically, I guess they're sort of like a really extreme metalcore with shots of grind and powerviolence and post-hardcore and math. lol Maybe even jazz too. I know this isn't stuff that most of the current forum typically goes for, but I hope people find it interesting.

As always, the conversion from GPX may lead to any number of mixing and effects issues in the GP5 files, so listen to the GPX files if you can.

Update: I totally neglected to mention that this is C4C thing. So, yeah.
Attachments:
Lead Belly Dance.gpx
Lead Belly Dance.gp5
What's In My Bag.gpx
What's In My Bag.gp5
Last edited by Million Dead at Jan 28, 2016,
Lol. I'm glad if you actually dug it and that you found it fitting of such an out there description. Still, I feel that it's apt enough given the song's pretty violent riffing and all the feedback sounds in there. Anything more specific?
Last edited by Million Dead at Jan 26, 2016,
I love this shit.

This is basically a hardcore punk version of ultra dissonance like deathspell omega, gorguts, old DEP, artificial brain type thing. I don't really have much negative criticism for Lead Belly, to me the only thing that bothers me is that sometimes the drums come off as just random and not so much intelligently chaotic, if you know what I mean (particularly the drum fills, plus that ultra accentuation on the toms drives me bonkers :P)

Also ultra nitpicks - That 507 chord at bar 18 sounds empty and lacking thickness compared to what's around it, I think you can make it a bit beefier because when that chord strikes it just feels like a vacuum, if you understand what I mean by that (kind of obscure description on my part =/).

As for What's in my bag - I don't love Bar 17, again, chords sound thin in comparison to what's around them, and lacking in coloration.

I really love Bar 22 and the sudden feel switch, I feel like you missed an opportunity to settle into that groove and mood for a little bit at some point in the song (either after the previous riff repeats or right there) but that's up to you.

I don't really like the chords at 31, it's kind of boring. It's not really bad, just not really great either. Also the ending is hilarious.

I don't have much to say since it's short stuff but really I adore this kind of dissonant, off the walls rampage, and I fucking love hearing more of it. It's hard to find people that really pull this off well, the balance of dissonant, groovy, off the walls and yet cohesive is hard to really pin down. Lead belly is really one of the coolest things I've heard in a long time =D.

That riff at 37 gives me dissoboners =D

I didn't have much to say since ofc it's not very long but if you want to check out my wip Morphling I'm looking for tips on where to go with it and what parts are good/not.
Morphling
Last edited by JazzDeath at Feb 1, 2016,
Quote by JazzDeath

I don't have much to say since it's short stuff but really I adore this kind of dissonant, off the walls rampage, and I fucking love hearing more of it. It's hard to find people that really pull this off well, the balance of dissonant, groovy, off the walls and yet cohesive is hard to really pin down. Lead belly is really one of the coolest things I've heard in a long time =D.

That riff at 37 gives me dissoboners =D

Damn! It's really so exciting to know that probably my favorite writer in this place sees merit in my stuff. It means a lot that you think Lead Belly Dance is cool. It's probably one of my favorite pieces that I've written. That whole moment at 37 is a favorite of mine because of the on edge, depressed vibe it gets across for me. Some nice high screams are going to make it really pop.

I can see where anyone would find the drums a bit ADD or overkill in places. For a long time, I've studied a lot of jazz, gospel chop, and punk drummers (also Zach Hill) who tend overplay and I really love that shit, so I just wanted to incorporate a decent chunk of that kind of stuff in my writing/playing. I get where it could be tasteless at points, but I really like that sort of assault.

Concerning the ultra tom accents, regular forte toms don't cut through enough for my taste when I'm listening to my ideal mix on GPX, so it seems like those ff's make them cut through closer to the proper way for me personally. It might just be the fact that converting to GP5 messed up the mix or something.

I'd like to think that riffs can have varying thicknesses throughout their span, but I get your meaning where the 507 chord can sound thin or create inconsistency due to the fullness of the rest of it. Still, that doubled E and that D# are the notes I really need there to create the melody I want. I think I could sensibly make it 9507 and keep the same melody and feel, but that suddenly makes that shape change at that speed lot more complicated. Perhaps I could do a harmony thing and put 3X4 or 304 on the bottom 3 three strings of Guitar 2 and keep the 507 in the Guitar 1 to thicken it as a whole and open it up?

With What's In My Bag, that sort of sludge metal snippet at 22 was meant to be a momentary curve ball thrown at the listener. I would expand on it, but I really like the length under a minute for this one.

I used the chords I used at 31 because the 123 chord was in the measure before it and I wanted a familiar sound for the ear to latch onto in that particular moment. Also, addressing the boring 688 chord, I like to call back to basic-ass punk simplicity and just wail on some power chords every now and again. I'm glad you like the ending cause I think it would be a great, huge, noisy finish that'd blow a crowd away in a live setting.

I'm just really glad that you enjoy it, man. I definitely have more stuff in the same vein both in the works and saved up. I'll probably post one or two songs soon, so stay tuned.

I'm sort of busy with school stuff, but I'll definitely give your new work a pretty in depth crit in the next day or two. Thanks for checking it out.
Last edited by Million Dead at Feb 2, 2016,