Page 1 of 3
I've been suffering from depression and anxiety for all my life, and I started going to the shrink 5 years ago because panic attacks were present at random times and my health anxiety was over the top. I've tried many, many different pills and different psychologists and I haven't found a solution for these feelings. The anxiety issues are easily solved by meds, but I can't get over the fact that life for me is totally meaningless, but it's an eternal cycle of guilt and boredom in which I'm stuck.

I feel that I'm not grateful enough, because I have a good life. My parents love me and even though they are old they are still "healthy", my brothers have always been like second parents to me, I have a good girlfriend who understands how I feel and I'm far from having financial issues. My friends are cool and I always have a good time when I hang out with them. Everything outside is going pretty well, but I hate my job, I hate my bachelor degree (I thought it was too late to start studying something else because I realized I hated it when I was coursing my last semester), I consider myself a bad musician because I've never been constant with practice (lack of motivation), I'm the least creative person I know and I would like to be able to make a living out of something that doesn't require being part of the 8 am - 6 pm regime that I'm sick of. I don't enjoy listening to music anymore. In fact, I prefer silence while driving. I can't be arsed to watch any T.V. show or doing anything that requieres more than 10 minutes of attention. Videogames have always been a big part of me but I hate them now, too. I have no motivation to do exercise or going out to socialize with people. I always see the bad details in people and so I can never build close relationships with anyone new.

I don't know what else to write and this seems boring and pointless now, too.

Just wanted to vent how I feel because sometimes strangers can give better advice and be more interesting than people around me.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Exercising is hard to start, but you'll definitely see some mood improvements at the least if you start slowly easing in to it, which will help to start tackling some problems.

And not sure how much this will help, but cacao nibs (pure chocolate) does give some mood elevation and PNS stimulation that might help you try and get more active to break out of the negative feedback loop you got going there at the moment
Motivation is highly overrated. Self-discipline is more important.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr

Check out my band Disturbed
ya i just made a thread about my shit too if you wanna read that and comiserate a tad

have you ever done any sort of therapy along with meds?
Have you volunteered anywhere recently? Helping other people can really help your outlook on life.

Get involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters or something like that. Nothing feels more rewarding than helping underprivileged kids, and just about every non profit on earth could use more volunteers.
and harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene
First of all, you're not alone. I think this is becoming a common issue with people in their mid to late 20's. I'm 24 and I'm feeling many of the same things, and so are my friends.

For me personally, I really think I just need a girlfriend. When I was dating someone seriously for a couple years, I rarely got bored. Even when I was not with her, I found more satisfaction in playing music, video games, and all my other hobbies, because I was just generally happier. Friends just didn't fill the same void for me, no matter how much I talked to them or expressed my feelings to them. When we broke up, I fell back into my old habits of smoking weed, dicking around on the computer and generally wasting too much time....because I was sad and bored again.

When was the last time you dated somebody? If it has been a long time, I highly recommend trying to put yourself out there. Maybe that could be what you need, without you having even realized it. I didn't realize this until recently, and it has been 2 years since I've dated somebody.

Maybe this isn't exactly what you need, but there is still probably something lacking in your life that you may be overlooking, which may be the one thing you need to find satisfaction in life again. Do some serious thinking about what that may be, and then find a way to pursue it.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Jan 24, 2016,
I'm 24, work dead end jobs, have no post high school education, multiple vague aspirations but little motivation, poor self-discipline, and growing debt.

Eh. I don't know.

I've been telling my family I'm a slow learner. Couldn't swim until I was 6 or so. Didn't learn how to ride a bike until I was in the 3rd grade.

So, if that's any kind of indication, I'll be a millionaire by 40.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
I'm 24, work dead end jobs, have no post high school education, multiple vague aspirations but little motivation, poor self-discipline, and growing debt.

Eh. I don't know.

I've been telling my family I'm a slow learner. Couldn't swim until I was 6 or so. Didn't learn how to ride a bike until I was in the 3rd grade.

So, if that's any kind of indication, I'll be a millionaire by 40.

i learned to ride a bike when i was 11 and i still can't swim

let's chill together?

26 here too. I kinda envy you because it sounds like you have a lot of people supporting you but it's the job holding you back from enjoying life.

Think about it: 8+ hours a day doing something you don't enjoy. When you get home you maybe tired to do anything else. Time gets wasted.

You should look at other things you might enjoy and be good at. Or maybe you're the kind of person who can't do one kind of thing for too long?
Find a job you like, it's where you spend most of your time. So if you're in a job you hate, that's gonna affect your mood a lot.
Maybe go traveling, I hear Helsinki is wonderful this time of year, especially the snow.
This is a fairly common malaise among twentysomethings who have a relatively comfortable existence. It is very rare among subsistence tribes or those required to mine coal or other hard daily labor in order to survive or eat regularly.

Tolle offers some observations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deq_1lg9Dlo
lo que tu necesitas es un nuevo amplificador?

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lots of serious posts lately. Looks like depression and poor health are plaguing the pit.

I am in my early 20's, i can agree that life is, for the most part, meaningless. Guy's our age have no war to fight, no sense of purpose really. We're just running around like chickens with their head's cut off.

Now, while i am almost done with uni. i still lack direction. Not fully sure what i want to do with my life. I see music as my main passion, but i cannot imagine making money off it, even being in a pretty tight band. The problem is that our lives revolve around petty things, like money, and that's a big reason for our ongoing depression.

People live for the weekends, to get wasted, then return to their boring, 9-5 jobs and then retire, and lay down and rot.

Just keep your head up, and live in the moment. Get up early every morning and create goals, exercise, eat well, have hobbies. You'll regret it when you're not able to these things.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Last edited by k.lainad at Jan 25, 2016,
Quote by k.lainad at #33795166

People live for the weekends, to get wasted, then return to their boring, 9-5 jobs and then retire, and lay down and rot.

This is true in my area and it honestly is enough to make me want to quit drinking forever (not that I do very much anyway). I hate the drinking culture around here. People I work with invite me out to drink with them almost every night after work, but I stopped going because they always get fucking hammered and act like total idiots, then show up hungover to work the next day and complain about everything, then go and do the same thing again that night. You can't make any significant improvements to your life when all of your free time is spent being drunk.

I have no problem with getting a drink after work, but when all you do is work at a restaurant or some other part time job with no real responsibility, acting like you need to get wasted just to "cope" is fucking pathetic.
to be fair, maintaining a steady level of Just Drunk Enough is a great way of coping with depression and Flat Life in the short term

not pathetic so much as just a bit sad and/or foreboding
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal at #33795178
to be fair, maintaining a steady level of Just Drunk Enough is a great way of coping with depression and Flat Life in the short term

Sure. I like the "Just Drunk Enough" feeling well enough. But I am struggling to think of drinkers I know who ever stop at "Just Drunk Enough." Maybe living in a tiny town has something to do with it, but everyone seems to want to get wasted all the time.
oh I follow you better yeah I've seen those folks

idk I can sorta sympathise/pity

there aren't many I REALLY think "wow what a saddo" but I know what you mean
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal at #33795184

idk I can sorta sympathise/pity

there aren't many I REALLY think "wow what a saddo" but I know what you mean

Yeah, yeah, me too. I don't hate them or actually think they're pathetic, I'm sure they have their reasons for wanting to get wasted. Maybe just depression in general or other stuff in their lives I don't know about. But getting wasted stopped being fun for me a long time ago so it just kinda irks me that I can't really go out with them and just have a good conversation or something.
Quote by Cajundaddy

Tolle offers some observations:
[The End Of Suffering YT Clip]

So, basically, the only way to stop feeling like your situation is unbearable is to suffer through it to the point where it breaks you so completely that you can't even resist or fight against it in your own mind anymore.

Yeah, this guy can go fuck himself with a cactus.
Go get out and get some new hobbies bro.

Go on a easy leisurely hike, or a hard one if that's your thing, get some nice big old views of mountains and ridgelines
Go sit on a boat in the water for awhile

Quote by ErikLensherr

Ok, stereotypical Asian parent.
My God, it's full of stars!
No no no that's all wrong that thing will never make a present it's been dead for much too long try something fresher something pleasant don't give up!

You need to listen to something new. Something that will blow your mind and inspire you to reach new levels. Try this:
http://youtu.be/5ennAB2TCCU
That guitar, bass, drum and keys solo always cheers me up.

I bet your girlfriend doesn't have any hobbies. I bet she's smart and pretty but doesn't have any desire to achieve anything great. The bare minimum is what you're use to. I bet she's bored with herself thus bored with you. That's usually how it goes. The girl can't keep herself happy and expects the guy to be like her because she doesn't like herself. Something stupid like. Relationships shouldn't have problems. Don't bother with girls unless it's literally perfect. Girls aren't worth it. You're the only one you should count on and you gotta make it happen for you.
Same, life is awful, I might actually find the balls to end it soon
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Some people don't know what their problems are but they have so many and they just feel the effects. Ending your life just stops the pain it doesn't stop the problems. Plus you're dead lol can't solve anything now. I wish I had musician friends. All of you guys could be my friends but that just isn't how it is I guess. God has unique challenges for everyone.
Quote by MinterMan22
i learned to ride a bike when i was 11 and i still can't swim

let's chill together?

Do you also not trust horses?
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Cool blog bro. Im deffo bored of life after reading that
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Ending your life just stops the pain it doesn't stop the problems. Plus you're dead lol can't solve anything now.

Quote by StupidGenius11
So, basically, the only way to stop feeling like your situation is unbearable is to suffer through it to the point where it breaks you so completely that you can't even resist or fight against it in your own mind anymore.

Nope, you missed it completely. Try again when you are ready to consider that all suffering is self inflicted. It is simply a choice, and we control the choices.
I can think of a few people for whom suffering is not self-inflicted, though. What you're referring to as 'self-inflicted' may very well be related to mental health as well. That isn't a matter of conscious choice.

There's no unifying method to Getting Your Shit Together.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I can think of a few people for whom suffering is not self-inflicted, though. What you're referring to as 'self-inflicted' may very well be related to mental health as well. That isn't a matter of conscious choice.

There's no unifying method to Getting Your Shit Together.

Experts disagree.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syjEN3peCJw
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 25, 2016,
With what? The last sentence, as in my claim that life can't be distilled into a framework for everyone? The first sentence, i.e. my claim that there are certainly plenty of people for whom suffering isn't a choice? Or my disagreement over mental health possibly being related to conscious choice?

I don't disagree that humans can actually take pleasure in and even romanticize their own suffering, but that doesn't necessitate that it's all in your head.
The only thing it sounds like you're not satisfied with is your musical ability, so work on that. In the state you're in you're probably not going to feel inspired so as someone else said it's going to take self-discipline. If there's some piece of equipment you need that's keeping you from doing what you want with music, buy it. I've become a good bit happier since I got a little recording set up. If you really don't want to be doing a 9-5 normal job, you need to be thinking about how to get out of that, even if it doesn't seem likely you will.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
With what? The last sentence, as in my claim that life can't be distilled into a framework for everyone? The first sentence, i.e. my claim that there are certainly plenty of people for whom suffering isn't a choice? Or my disagreement over mental health possibly being related to conscious choice?

I don't disagree that humans can actually take pleasure in and even romanticize their own suffering, but that doesn't necessitate that it's all in your head.

But it is... all in your head. Human suffering is perception, not reality. Ponder that a while.
Quote by Cajundaddy
But it is... all in your head. Human suffering is perception, not reality. Ponder that a while.

Of course, starving children are just imagining the pain in their bellies.
Page 1 of 3