Hi, basically was wondering what the best software was for slowing down audio tracks? Preferably ones that are free. Also is there any software available that can isolate specific instruments ie drums or guitar? Would be pretty neat to do that.
SANDBLAST YOURSELF.

Quote by i_lovemetallica
If you think Gollum was sober with his whole "Gollum/Smeagol" thing and thinking he was invisible with the ring, then you need to remove the cotton wool from your eyes.

Wake up sheeple.

Sunaj
Quote by nanna_guy414
Hi, basically was wondering what the best software was for slowing down audio tracks?

Look into Transcribe. It's free and it offers all you need.

Quote by nanna_guy414
Also is there any software available that can isolate specific instruments ie drums or guitar?

That's practically impossible. You can use some EQ tricks to make some instruments stand out more, but you can't achieve true isolation.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I suggest Audacity. I can't remember, but I'm about 80% sure that it's free. It's the program that I use to change the pitch without changing the speed (I play down a half step and even the songs that ARE recorded down a half step are still like .2 above it. Something to do with post production mixing I'm guessing). Or changing the speed without changing the pitch. You can do a lot of neat tricks with it.

I wanted the D-Generation X theme without the quiet intro for my everybody ringtone and couldn't find it. (found out after the fact that it's on an app called Zedge) So I downloaded the mp3, opened it in Audacity and zoomed in (another neat trick) and pin pointed the "BREAK IT DOWN!" part and cut everything before it off and then moved it to my phone's ringtones folder.

I just showed my age and dorkdom there, didn't I?
Thank you #21! Tim Duncan!!!
Quote by nanna_guy414
Hi, basically was wondering what the best software was for slowing down audio tracks? Preferably ones that are free. Also is there any software available that can isolate specific instruments ie drums or guitar? Would be pretty neat to do that.

Transcribe is free for a month only - but by that time you will probably love it enough to pay the very reasonable registration fee (currently $39) - http://www.seventhstring.com/
There are other slowdowners - much the same price - but not as well featured as Transcribe. It also works with video.

Audacity is totally free, and is essentially an audio editor and recorder - pretty much a complete home studio, as you can multitrack and add effects.
http://audacityteam.org/
It will slow down tracks, but not as intuitively (or as glitch free) as Transcribe.

There is no software that can fully isolate specific instruments from normal stereo recordings. That's because (a) most instruments overlap in the stereo spectrum with others, and also overlap in the frequency spectrum.
The bass is perhaps the instrument most easily cut or isolated, especially if there are no keyboards on the track - but it only applies to the lower octave of bass. It overlaps with guitar higher up.

However, it is possible to remove anything panned dead centre from stereo tracks, which is usually vocals (and often bass too), by putting the L and R channels out of phase. Transcribe will do this, and I think Audacity probably also can (I've not tried it, because Transcribe does it so well).
You can also pan R or L with stereo tracks, which can bring guitars up or down depending on the mix.
Last edited by jongtr at Jan 25, 2016,
Quote by Kevätuhri
Look into Transcribe. It's free and it offers all you need.

That's practically impossible. You can use some EQ tricks to make some instruments stand out more, but you can't achieve true isolation.

Just download transcribe, its pretty cool although its still hard to hear exactly whats happening with the vocals over the top of the guitars, might need to mess around with the EQ to see if I can make it bit more audible.
SANDBLAST YOURSELF.

Quote by i_lovemetallica
If you think Gollum was sober with his whole "Gollum/Smeagol" thing and thinking he was invisible with the ring, then you need to remove the cotton wool from your eyes.

Wake up sheeple.

Sunaj
Quote by jongtr
Transcribe is free for a month only - but by that time you will probably love it enough to pay the very reasonable registration fee.

Right, my bad. I think I mixed the pricing up with Audacity.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I will suss out audacity too, Seems Transcribe might be a better alternative so far, The vocals are making it hard to hear exactly whats being played. cheers fellas.
SANDBLAST YOURSELF.

Quote by i_lovemetallica

Wake up sheeple.

Sunaj
With Windows based computers, use Windows Media Player. Google a tutorial if you need to
Highly recommend Amazing Slow Downer. I have found this software has the best sound quality by far when making tracks slower. Has EQ sliders to highlight instruments.

Is a bit pricey but ultimately worth every cent. Is also available in app form as well.

http://www.ronimusic.com
Visit my music school site for advice on gear, music theory and lessons.
www.essm.net.au
Quote by Rhys Lett ESSM
Highly recommend Amazing Slow Downer. I have found this software has the best sound quality by far when making tracks slower. Has EQ sliders to highlight instruments.

Is a bit pricey but ultimately worth every cent. Is also available in app form as well.

http://www.ronimusic.com

Better quality than transcribe? Which also has EQ.
Quote by jerrykramskoy
Better quality than transcribe? Which also has EQ.
IIRC the quality is similar.

What sells Transcribe for me is the waveform display, so you can mark beats, click and drag for selections, add labels, etc. I didn't get on with ASD, which only shows timings.
Transcribe's EQ section seems better spec'd too, although I never use it myself.
There's also the keyboard display, to see frequency peaks and help check notes...
...and of course it works with video...
...and is cheaper then ASD!

Only downside to Transcribe: no app version.
Last edited by jongtr at Jan 28, 2016,
Quote by jongtr
IIRC the quality is similar.

What sells Transcribe for me is the waveform display, so you can mark beats, click and drag for selections, add labels, etc. I didn't get on with ASD, which only shows timings.
Transcribe's EQ section seems better spec'd too, although I never use it myself.
There's also the keyboard display, to see frequency peaks and help check notes...
...and of course it works with video...
...and is cheaper then ASD!

Only downside to Transcribe: no app version.

Thanks, jongtr. I'll stick with Transcribe. Used it for years.
I use amazing slowdowner by roni music, its almost as good as having your own tape deck!! -

PS .

Does anyone know any plugins for DAWs that work for slowing down audio, I heard that abbleton slows down audio, but I can't find any examples .
I've used Transcribe! for almost years now and haven't even thought of changing it to anything else.
Quote by 094568029434geo
I use amazing slowdowner by roni music, its almost as good as having your own tape deck!! -
Transcribe is better than having your own tape deck!