Hello All , I am in the market to buy my first electric guitar, i have around $350 to spend.

I have looked at Squier Affinity's and, the Epiphone Les Paul Special 2. I have read/watched a lot of reviews and some say they are really good and some say they are terrible.

I am really confused on if they are good or bad, and was hoping to hear more from here, or of any other guitars that are good for beginners.

I have played my ex- girlfriends Fender Strat a few times and loved the feel of it, so iIwould prefer a guitar with a "fender-like" design.

I have also considered used guitars to get a better made guitar, but I wouldn't know what to look for, because on an electric I really don't know shit from toothpaste with the mechanics of it.

I have been playing for 5 months on my grandpa's half sized nova acoustic and it is very cramped to play now that I'm getting better and trying more difficult songs. I mostly play Classic rock, Blues and, Country.

Also the amp I'm looking at is the Fender Champion 20, is this a good choice?

Thanks ,

Will
If you want a strat-type guitar, I would advise either looking for a used Mexican made Fender Strat or the following link for a new option:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=squier+classic+vibe+stratocaster&Go=Search

The Classic Vibe series of Squier are excellent guitars in my opinion. I have a Classic Vibe P Bass and it is awesome. Any of those options should suit a beginner perfectly. As for the amp, I am not familiar with that but Fender generally makes good amps, though later on when you "learn the ropes" you will want a tube amp.
You should take a look at the Yamaha Pacifica as well. If possible, get into a store and have a go with some. Of anything in your price rage, really.
Quote by Dinglebuttz
If you want a strat-type guitar, I would advise either looking for a used Mexican made Fender Strat or the following link for a new option:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=squier+classic+vibe+stratocaster&Go=Search

The Classic Vibe series of Squier are excellent guitars in my opinion. I have a Classic Vibe P Bass and it is awesome. Any of those options should suit a beginner perfectly. As for the amp, I am not familiar with that but Fender generally makes good amps, though later on when you "learn the ropes" you will want a tube amp.

What should I look for when buying a used electric? I've been on kijiji and mexican strats go for about $350-400

I just looked at my local music shops website and the classic vibe is a bit out of my price range at $520

I might sound like a complete newbie but whats a tube amp? In comparison to a amp like Fender makes?

Thanks for the quick reply Dinglebuttz
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You should take a look at the Yamaha Pacifica as well. If possible, get into a store and have a go with some. Of anything in your price rage, really.

Thanks for the reply slapsymcdougal,

I will be heading to the music shop sometime this week, I will check out the Pacifica. I am just looking for some guitars so I have an idea on what is good and what to stay away from.
Quote by Backroad Will
What should I look for when buying a used electric? I've been on kijiji and mexican strats go for about $350-400

I just looked at my local music shops website and the classic vibe is a bit out of my price range at $520

I might sound like a complete newbie but whats a tube amp? In comparison to a amp like Fender makes?

Thanks for the quick reply Dinglebuttz

Generally you just want to look at the condition of the guitar and any possible red flags (cracks, dents, dings, etc.). If a guitar is in bad shape generally the person didn't care for or maintain the guitar and I wouldn't touch it. Also check out the electronics and make sure they work and have no weird issues as far as making unwanted scratchy noises or fuzz.

I assume ordering offline is out of the question? I have bought a few instruments from Sweetwater and they have been amazing both in quality and customer service (assuming you are in the USA?). I would also check and see if your local music store will price match for you. The $379 for the classic vibes is the normal price for those.

As for the amp, Fender does indeed make tube amps, but those are usually higher cost, higher quality amps. For just practicing around the house and whatnot the Fender amp you linked will be perfect. Once you start playing shows or wanting to get a bigger and better sound is when you will want a tube amp.
Quote by Dinglebuttz
Generally you just want to look at the condition of the guitar and any possible red flags (cracks, dents, dings, etc.). If a guitar is in bad shape generally the person didn't care for or maintain the guitar and I wouldn't touch it. Also check out the electronics and make sure they work and have no weird issues as far as making unwanted scratchy noises or fuzz.

I assume ordering offline is out of the question? I have bought a few instruments from Sweetwater and they have been amazing both in quality and customer service (assuming you are in the USA?). I would also check and see if your local music store will price match for you. The $379 for the classic vibes is the normal price for those.

As for the amp, Fender does indeed make tube amps, but those are usually higher cost, higher quality amps. For just practicing around the house and whatnot the Fender amp you linked will be perfect. Once you start playing shows or wanting to get a bigger and better sound is when you will want a tube amp.

Alright I might check out a few guitars at the shop by me and see what i like, and see the prices on sweet water, and maybe check out a couple used ones.

Is there any other cheaper squiers than the classic vibe that are worth looking at?

Thanks for the info on the amps, and your help
Quote by Backroad Will
Alright I might check out a few guitars at the shop by me and see what i like, and see the prices on sweet water, and maybe check out a couple used ones.

Is there any other cheaper squiers than the classic vibe that are worth looking at?

Thanks for the info on the amps, and your help

The Vintage Modified series is pretty nice as well. They are just a step below the Classic Vibes I believe, but they are fine as well. Here is a link to one!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratSVMRVB

Several color option available there too.
My first guitar was a Fender Squier Bullet strat. I still love it, 2 years later. A great beginner guitar.
Other Strat-like guitars worthy of consideration are the Godin Session and the G&L Tribute Comanche, Legacy and S-500. At between $450-650, depending on model, they may be too expensive, new, but they should all be affordable if you find a used one.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 27, 2016,
With a budget of $350 consider the used market. You will get a better guitar than what a $350 new guitar would be. Hell I buy used even when I have a big budget, there are a lot of pre owned gems out there!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Amen! More than 1/3 of my guitars were purchased used.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 27, 2016,
my first guitar was a special 2 they are not good at all. my electronics had trouble ot of the box. the neck has since twisted and it's an ornament now.

the classic vibe is probably the best entry level fender offers, the necks were a little thinner when i played them but it was decent.

im personally partial to fender but there's lot's of nice guitars out there. if you do go to the store don't buy until you play a couple a couple times.
song stuck in my head today

If buying an Epiphone, get at least a 400 series from what I am told.

Used is obviously the way to go. Bring someone with who has been playing longer! I personally don't buy hardly any new gear, I mean my Mooer was new but that hardly counts... the gear of yesterday is just sexier IMHO.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Jan 27, 2016,