so my nitro (KT88) is sounding very thin and buzzy. i figured a preamp tube was bad. i did the pencil test, and V2 and V3 were bad. i replace them with some from my stash (they were used but i know they worked), same damn thing. i rolled four different tubes in V3 and V3, and it still isn't right.

could it be a bad tube socket? i would have a hard time imagining that because it doesn't have much play on it.

i am going to grab some other poweramp tubes for it one of these days (its at my house and i will be at my studio for another day or two).

could it be a bad poweramp tube? the pencil test didn't come up with anything on the poweramp tubes.

i am going to clean the sockets next time i am there too.

whatcha' think?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You tried different guitars?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
You tried different guitars?

yeah, several. as well as both the speaker and instrument cables. running straight in to the amp also.

the cab was fine with my tremoverb a week before, i guess that is the only thing i haven't swapped. but that would be hard to change since it hasn't moved.

i didn't have the footswitch with me so all i have been able to try is the OD channel (which is the only channel that gets used on it ).

any ideas are welcome.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Try V1, try new power tubes. Microphonics aren't the only reason a tube goes bad.
I did try V1 too, i swapped all pre and the PI.

i will have to steal the KT88's from my other splawn or sig:x. ugh.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
It sounds like a phasing issue kinda sorta. I've never had bad power tubes so I don't know what that would sound like other than the noise floor being particularly noisy.

Clips?

I have all sorts of ideas but they start getting kind of silly. I wouldn't think you could burn out a resistor in one of those if you tried, unless something else went. Doesn't hurt to look though.

I wouldn't imagine the sockets would be dirty, but I want to clean mine now...
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Jan 26, 2016,
^+1
I was gonna suggest the FX loop test, that will narrow it to either the pre amp or power amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You know all of these suggestions are useless until after you apply a liberal amount of contact cleaner to everything!! You know better
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
You know all of these suggestions are useless until after you apply a liberal amount of contact cleaner to everything!! You know better

Not really, but contact cleaner is a good suggestion.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If it is a dirty tube socket you very well could have burnt out a resistor or something. CHECK THE RESITORZ!!!!1!!!!!!ww
back to the beginning, why would several tubes be microphonic in the same position? could that be a socket issue?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Derek - it is possible that any microphonic qualities of some of your tubes only reveal themselves in certain sockets. That is partially a guess but you can see what I'm saying hopefully. There are different degrees of microphonics right? Sometimes it is slight and sometimes it is very noticeable.

In a Quick Rod, V2 is the primary input stage. V1 is for cleans. V4 is the PI. So it seems that V2 and V3 would show microphonics more easily. That may be a bunk. Someone like Cath or Colin would know more.

What about trying some of the known good tubes that are in your plethora of other amps?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Derek - it is possible that any microphonic qualities of some of your tubes only reveal themselves in certain sockets. That is partially a guess but you can see what I'm saying hopefully. There are different degrees of microphonics right? Sometimes it is slight and sometimes it is very noticeable.

In a Quick Rod, V2 is the primary input stage. V1 is for cleans. V4 is the PI. So it seems that V2 and V3 would show microphonics more easily. That may be a bunk. Someone like Cath or Colin would know more.

What about trying some of the known good tubes that are in your plethora of other amps?

+1 or, use new ones. Sometimes, the used ones that sound decent where they are don't work well in some other amp.