Hi all, first time poster here. I just got the new Orange rockerverb mkiii and it is LOUD. Not in the sense of playing---I'm talking static/buzz/hum... just really noisy in general, Particularly on the clean channel.. which is the main issue.

And the strangest thing is that depending on where my dirty channel settings are set at (gain, volume) the amount of noise emitting from the clean channel varies. This strikes me as peculiar, as I would think that ANY turning of knobs associated with the dirty channel would have NO effect on what happens while the amp is set to clean. Am I correct with this thinking?? I usually have my gain set to about 2 o clock, and my dirty volume about 12 o clock.

I should also mention that this is the second mkiii I received and the previous one had the same problems. So either this is normal with these amps (which would boggle my mind) or I just got really unlucky and received two faulty amps.

Keep in mind that I have used different guitars, guitar cables, power outlets, cabs, different part of house, all to no avail.

If anyone here owns a Rockerverb mkiii and does not experience any of these issues than that would certainly be the call I need to return the amp, and happily get a new one. But if not, if anyone has any advice or reasoning as to why this is happening that would be greatly appreciated as well. I don't feel this is normal at all. Thank you.
sounds like one or more of the preamp tubes are bad.

I'd send it back since it is new.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by groznjj1
Hi all, first time poster here. I just got the new Orange rockerverb mkiii and it is LOUD. Not in the sense of playing---I'm talking static/buzz/hum... just really noisy in general, Particularly on the clean channel.. which is the main issue.

Like Rob said, I would normally suspect a bad preamp tube. Is this your first tube amp? What did you have before? Can you try the amp somewhere else. Basically see if you can rule out your house/environment as causing the issue. You may also need a power conditioner depending on how things work out.

Quote by groznjj1
And the strangest thing is that depending on where my dirty channel settings are set at (gain, volume) the amount of noise emitting from the clean channel varies. This strikes me as peculiar, as I would think that ANY turning of knobs associated with the dirty channel would have NO effect on what happens while the amp is set to clean. Am I correct with this thinking?? I usually have my gain set to about 2 o clock, and my dirty volume about 12 o clock.

Can't speak to the Rockerverb specifically but some amps do get a bit of what they call 'channel bleed over'. I'd hate to think that you got two lemon Rockerverbs back to back.

Quote by groznjj1
I should also mention that this is the second mkiii I received and the previous one had the same problems. So either this is normal with these amps (which would boggle my mind) or I just got really unlucky and received two faulty amps.

Doesn't sound real normal unless you have crappy house wiring, live near an airport or radiostation, have lots of squirrels, or Orange is just using a lot of crappy tubes. What settings are you using can I ask? You don't have the Gain or the Volume cranked all the way do you?

Quote by groznjj1
Keep in mind that I have used different guitars, guitar cables, power outlets, cabs, different part of house, all to no avail.

Have you tried different preamp tubes at all? See if you can get Orange to send you some preamp tubes instead of you sending the whole amp back. I played the MKII at Guitar Center and I don't remember anything overly noisy about it (outside of that occasional normal high gain amp hiss. I didn't' have it cranked to the 9s either though).

Quote by groznjj1
If anyone here owns a Rockerverb mkiii and does not experience any of these issues than that would certainly be the call I need to return the amp, and happily get a new one. But if not, if anyone has any advice or reasoning as to why this is happening that would be greatly appreciated as well. I don't feel this is normal at all. Thank you.

See above

tl;dr

I'd suspect dirty power at your house or bad preamp tubes or interference somewhere near your rig set up. Need more info. The power and the tubes can be tested.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Like Rob said, I would normally suspect a bad preamp tube. Is this your first tube amp? What did you have before? Can you try the amp somewhere else. Basically see if you can rule out your house/environment as causing the issue. You may also need a power conditioner depending on how things work out.

Can't speak to the Rockerverb specifically but some amps do get a bit of what they call 'channel bleed over'. I'd hate to think that you got two lemon Rockerverbs back to back.

Doesn't sound real normal unless you have crappy house wiring, live near an airport or radiostation, have lots of squirrels, or Orange is just using a lot of crappy tubes. What settings are you using can I ask? You don't have the Gain or the Volume cranked all the way do you?

Have you tried different preamp tubes at all? See if you can get Orange to send you some preamp tubes instead of you sending the whole amp back. I played the MKII at Guitar Center and I don't remember anything overly noisy about it (outside of that occasional normal high gain amp hiss. I didn't' have it cranked to the 9s either though).

See above

tl;dr

I'd suspect dirty power at your house or bad preamp tubes or interference somewhere near your rig set up. Need more info. The power and the tubes can be tested.

Hi, and thanks for your reply!

It seems the best solution others come up with is exactly what you said... either bad tubes or bad house.

I haven't tried the amp outside my house (nor do I really care to), but I have moved it to different areas of the house...used different power outlets, and even a power conditioner to no avail. And no, don't live real close to any radio towers, etc.

My best guess (and what Orange said when I called them on the issue) is that it sounds like the tubes. They did have me test by plugging my guitar directly into the return jack of the effects loop, which bypasses the pre-amp I suppose? The noise was essentially gone, would this indicate that it is in fact a pre amp tube that needs to be changed?
Last edited by groznjj1 at Jan 27, 2016,
Quote by groznjj1
Hi, and thanks for your reply!

It seems the best solution others come up with is exactly what you said... either bad tubes or bad house.

I haven't tried the amp outside my house (nor do I really care to), but I have moved it to different areas of the house...used different power outlets, and even a power conditioner to no avail. And no, don't live real close to any radio towers, etc.

My best guess (and what Orange said when I called them on the issue) is that it sounds like the tubes. They did have me test by plugging my guitar directly into the return jack of the effects loop, which bypasses the pre-amp I suppose? The noise was essentially gone, would this indicate that it is in fact a pre amp tube that needs to be changed?

It makes it seem more likely that it is a preamp tube.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
It makes it seem more likely that it is a preamp tube.

Yep. Or a fault in the preamp circuit somewhere like a bad solder joint or connection. Weird though that that would happen twice on different amps.

As a new tube amp owner you will need some spare preamp tubes anyway so go ahead and buy 1 or 2 JJ 12AX7 tubes. In the meantime, see if you can get Orange to send you some replacement tubes.

Take a known good tube and 'roll' it through all of the slots and notate any differences you hear.

Yes, running guitar in the FX return will bypass the preamp.

Also try running amp normally but with something in the FX loop - even just a cable.

I would also take the amp somewhere, even a guitar store, and try it there (under the guise that you are looking at speaker cabinets or something).
^ Yeah, try rolling a good tube through the preamp section, and see if you can find a bad tube(s).

It is pretty strange to get 2 duds in a row tho. By going through the loop, and having it running fine would tell me that its not just dirty electricity creating noise. I would be pretty suspicious if both amps had had some sort of defect, but who knows. Hopefully its just a tube!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H