How much would you guys ding a new guitar with a cosmetic flaw? Was looking at a nice guitar yesterday and noticed a blemish on the bridge. The guy in the store told me he was polishing the guitars one day and it marred the finish on the bridge. It's a small area that is affected (about the size of a thumbprint). The axe was going for $2300 and he offered to drop it another $100. It doesn't affect playability, but it does mar the appearance of an otherwise great looking guitar. Frankly the $2300 price is cheaper than I've seen it anywhere else as well, by several hundred dollars.

I'm thinking if I can talk him down another $300 or $400 I might jump.
Tbh I prefer dinged up guitars. It gives the instrument character, yno? I should post some pictures of my guitars some day, they're beat to shit...
If I were in your shoes I'd buy it regardless, but pretend it's a big deal and see how far down you can pull the price. Or you could ask for free insurance/case/etc if he doesn't go for lowering the price
Here is what my old colleague used to say, and what I echo a lot of the time: "It can be a $50-looking guitar or a $5000-looking guitar. What matters is how it plays."
Quote by CherokeShredder
Here is what my old colleague used to say, and what I echo a lot of the time: "It can be a $50-looking guitar or a $5000-looking guitar. What matters is how it plays."

And that has exactly 0 relevance to the question OP posed.

Honestly I doubt you'll get more than his initial offer of $100 off. Unless its a super noticeable defect it wont affect the store's ability to sell it and unless it's been sitting around not selling for a while they have no reason to knock the price down.

If it's a mom & pop shop, several hundred dollars can be the difference between the store making money and the store losing money on a sale. If you happen to have been buying instruments and accessories from that store for a few years they might cut you a deal.

If it's a chain store they don't care about you and have no reason to give you a discount.
Thanks for the answers guys. Yeah, sound and playability is the important thing and I don't worry the small dings and stuff (usually). And the guitar is amazing...it sounds and plays wonderful.

It's such a beautiful axe that the very small mar on the bridge is very noticeable. Once you see the picture below you'll understand what I mean. A tiny mar on a regular axe...no problem. A tiny mar on the guitar equivalent of the Mona Lina would break my heart every time I looked at it, haha.

Thanks for the tips guys.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/rainsong-black-ice-series-bi-ws1000n2-graphite-acoustic-electric-guitar/581064
Last edited by TobusRex at Jan 27, 2016,
@Tony: it's a carbon fiber Rainsong Black Ice model. The guy who damaged it told me he was polishing guitars before going home for the day and he used the same rag he'd used on , presumably, wooden guitars. It marred the appearance of the bridge. It's really very slight, but the model is such eye candy that it really jumps out at you. I think maybe I could just get some paint or something and touch it up, but sounds like a ghetto solution. Maybe you know how to fix these things.

I know this is infantile...but it's so damned PRETTY that I want one, and badly at that. Even the bridge pins are gorgeous.
Yeah, I'd like a Rainsong too, they have a lot going for them. I wouldn't know how to fix it without seeing it, but I'm guessing that I could come up with something that looked OK - probably sand/steel wool the whole bridge down to a satin finish. I reckon you could argue for more off than $100, but if the price was good to begin with, I might well take it - depending on how much I liked the rest of it.
Ricky, I was meaning that the look of a guitar wouldn't matter much if it played decently. Basically, little to no mark down. That DOES have relevance
It really depends if you are sensitive to your guitar looks or not. But I don't think you can get perfectly finished guitar unless it's a custom shop..
And even then, there's quite a decent chance that they may be rushed or packed, and so when they DO get to the guitar, they have to sort of rush it to compensate. Then the job goes to complete hell overall because the guitar ends up smearing or busting off with how it looks (just my guess on all this). One of my colleague's guitars was chewed up and busted up to all hell, but played so well that the buyer for it asked for more for the guitar BECAUSE it was playing well and even for the chewed up and dinged up appearance.