Ok so I've been looking for one of these for a long time. Finally found one, at a price I would totally jump at! But there's a problem. It has a horrendous looking headstock repair. So are there any Luthiers or whatnot out there that would trust this to be a main guitar after this happened to it? And how much would I be looking at to fix it again it wasn't proper the first time? (I wouldn't even consider it if it wasn't an MP-600.)

https://reverb.com/item/1597597-esp-ltd-mp-600-michael-paget-signature-series-black?_aid=pla&currency=USD&pla=1&gclid=CL7Bs6eyysoCFdM8gQod9J4C6w
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
I doubt any reputable shop would repair a guitar like that, they didn't even try to hide the fix at all. It's really bad looking. Will it hold? Probably but who knows.
Quote by J_W
I doubt any reputable shop would repair a guitar like that, they didn't even try to hide the fix at all. It's really bad looking. Will it hold? Probably but who knows.

That was my thought. If I was in a better situation financially I'd just do it, and if it failed on me I'd glue it back together and put it on display. (It's one of my favorite guitars. I can remember seeing it in a catalog when I first REALLY got into guitar at 17.) I might go for it...

That repair is hideous, you can see the superglue residue used on that repair from miles away. What a shame.

I wouldn't consider superglue to be that good of an adhesive to repair something structural either. Its strong, but very brittle. And it doesn't take shear stresses well.

Getting such damage repaired properly would be very expensive because of the unfortunate placement of the break meaning that a piece of the logo is missing. If its actually a sticker and not an inlay it isn't going to be anywhere near as a ballache to fix. But if it is, you may as well just buy one that wasn't damaged.

I don't exactly baby my guitars, but something that unsightly is an instant turn-off. I'd walk away.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 27, 2016,
I would say wait for one that hasn't had a sloppy repair to come along.

It seems quite likely that you could get one that hasn't had the headstock broken in half for less than the total cost of buying that one and correcting the bad repair...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
D-d-d-damn that's rough. Maybe for look $100 or less, then I would consider it, but I would probably sand the entire headstock down after the repair and refinish it, which would be pricey and arguably kill some of the cool factor of the guitar if you value having the inlays and all that. I mean, my SGs repair isn't perfect, but man...
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
A broken headstock that is properly repaired can actually be stronger than the original piece.

That headstock was not properly repaired.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Thank you all for your help. I can be at peace to walk away from this. Seeing that headstock repair actually hurt me.XD This is the first time I've seen a used one for sale.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee

I can't get that money together that fast sadly.-.- I appreciate the lead though.

EDIT: I contacted the seller. Throwing an offer out there and seeing if it works out. Couldn't hurt.
Quote by Roc8995

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Last edited by GraceByDeath at Jan 27, 2016,
Quote by GraceByDeath
I can't get that money together that fast sadly.-.- I appreciate the lead though.

EDIT: I contacted the seller. Throwing an offer out there and seeing if it works out. Couldn't hurt.

Exactly. Looks like it's a relisting.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
Exactly. Looks like it's a relisting.

I'd be giving up a Jackson RRMG to do this. (I love everything about it other than the fact that Floyds make me nervous to set up on my own.) So I'm still considering.
Quote by GraceByDeath
I'd be giving up a Jackson RRMG to do this. (I love everything about it other than the fact that Floyds make me nervous to set up on my own.) So I'm still considering.

If you don't use the Floyd too much and as such, it's even more of a pain to set it up than it already is, you can always block it and most of your problems will go away.

I probably wouldn't give up on a Jackson RRMG for a guitar with a broken headstock with a hideous repairment. Just my opinion though obviously.
Red is correct. A good professional headstock repair can often be stronger than the original headstock. This wasn't a professional job and knowing that I'd stay clear of it. This was done very poorly and a good luthier who would be willing to try to undo that horrible work will be hard to find.

Here's a picture of the headstock on Gary Moore's guitar that was snapped of when his car was rear ended. This is a nice piece of work and Gary played it right up til his death. This guitar is now owned by Kirk Hammett.
Attachments:
Gary_Moore_LP_headstock 2.jpg
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 28, 2016,
Quote by GraceByDeath

In that case, it may just be a lot easier to learn enough about the care and feeding of your Floyd. The knowledge is out there.
Floyds are nothing to be afraid of. If you like guitars then tinkering with them is actually fun. If you know how to use a screw driver then you know how to deal with a Floyd.

I couldn't see myself replacing a RRMG for some LTD, but that's just me.
Quote by dthmtl3
Floyds are nothing to be afraid of. If you like guitars then tinkering with them is actually fun. If you know how to use a screw driver then you know how to deal with a Floyd.

I couldn't see myself replacing a RRMG for some LTD, but that's just me.

Think I am just gonna stick with the Jackson. And I will learn to mess with it myself. Should be trying that soon since I want to switch to either Drop C or Drop C#. (Basically after I'm sure I have the money to pay for a setup if I fail miserably.)