Jackson is somewhat popular. BC Rich not so much. Both are associated mainly with metal which in itself isn't popular. Both companies don't have/spend the funds to go as aggressively after artists like the Japanese brands that will pretty much go after anyone that finds himself on a stage.
Jackson are still very relevant indeed in the metal community.

They were a lot more popular in the 80's simply because their designs and marketing were perfectly timed with evolving guitar trends. Its decline stems from music trends in general. Metal music is not a mainstream genre anymore and tbh even at the peak of its popularity, its mainstream popularity was still a bit half-assed.

BC Rich are only a fraction of the popularity of Jackson. Simply because their designs are a lot more discriminating towards a specific demographic. One that as already said, has declined in popularity. That and their cheaper guitars have been utter boat anchors for literally decades. The only substantial demand for super pointy metal guitars is from 12 year old teenagers that only get their pocket change from their parents as an income, so only the cheap (shit) ones are available in local stores, which decimates the reputation of the entire brand. And having a poor reputation in a competitive market is almost impossible to lose.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 27, 2016,
Jackson popularity plummeted after the co was sold to Fender. They started making cheap BS that you see at GC right now that looks like the original but is vastly inferior in terms of craftsmanship and materials. That being said I purchased a 2012 RR1 recently that is top notch and compares well to my '86 San Dimas Soloist.
My buddy likes BC's and has owned a couple models but they were cheap bolt ons so I can really tell you what BC's are really good. I know they are some.
Jachson has been covered already so i'll skip them. BC Rich doesn't have the artist recognition that they once did. kerry king (slayer) and the black veil brides are probably their best known endorsers. this does make it appear that they aren't liked these days. as mentioned they are primarily targeted toward metal players and usually ones that play more extreme metal. the shapes have always put off a certain segmetn of players before they even tried one. also mentione already is that thye have yet to live down their bad rep for making shitty low end guitars back in the 90s to early 2000s. the quality has improved greatly in the last 10 years or so. they have new owners that seem more intent on improving the BC Rich image and have redesigned the line from the bottom up. hopefully they will succeed in restoring the brand name.
Being a BC Rich fan since the early 80's I have seen the ups and downs. At one time in the late 70's early 80's they were top notch guitars. They made great guitars. When they became huge in the mid 80's they couldn't keep up with demand. Every rock star seemed to play them. Then Bernie Rico licensed ( not sold) the rights to the shapes and name to class axe guitars in New Jersey. THEY began the crappy guitars and running the name in the mud. I believe it was 1988 or around there they took over. I have owned class axe era imports and USA mades guitars. They all felt really cheap. The USA stuff is horrible. They didn't even get the warlock shape correct on the import basses, in 1993 Bernie Took over again and the Handmades were great again. Then he died and his son sold it to Hanser music. They had no clue what to do. I worked at a BC Rich dealer at this time they were clueless what to do with the company. I had several discussions with the sales manager. I remember asking if they were ever going to put out a Ironbird and he didn't know what one was! they did later put one out. But Hanser missed the mark a lot. Just look at the widow bass. It came out in a 5 string only! WTF the only ones made up until then were handmade and 4 strings! They took all the cool stuff you always wanted and would have to save your $$$ to buy the handmade versions and made cheap imports. The Beast, Speed V, Warbeast, Iron bird, widow, exclusive, Gunslinger, 10 string rich, double neck bich just to name a few. That made them go from a company that had holy grail guitars with chapter line for the budget buyers to a cheap budget line guitar company.
BC Rich took a big hit when Bernie Rico licensed the BC Rich name to Class Axe in the late 80s and they started making crap guitars from plywood! Kerry King bailed and it all went down hill, they still make tons of cheap crappy guitars and it continues to hurt their reputation although as monowobobo said, as of late their higher end guitars are very good quality, though still rather pointy which is not in vogue.

I happen to like pointy guitars and my BCRich neck thru KK Beast V is on par,with just about any import I have ever played.

Jackson on the other hand is still quite popular although those who were around to remember still morn the end of production of Jackson at the Chushin Gakki factory in Japan!

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

i always thought low end BC rich was for posers and jackson i always thought was awesome.
song stuck in my head today

I'm not a big fan of the budget Jackson and BC Rich models, to be honest... I feel that other makers cater to the budget-minded beginner a little better.

That being said, I would sell my soul for a high-end Soloist or a MIJ BC Rich. A buddy of mine has a custom shop Bich, and it's absolutely phenomenal.

Actually, you know what? I had a beat up Dinky something-or-whatever that wasn't terribly expensive (I traded half a bottle of Jameson and some weed for it) that played fine. I just wasn't a fan of the designed-by trem.

Also, the locking nut was missing the parts that lock into it.

Also, the battery for the EMG was dying.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Jan 27, 2016,
i think jacksons are reasonably popular. i think that jacksons are a little more popular among some of us slightly older guys that were into metal in the late 1990's early 2000's.

as far as jackson guitars go, the MIJ ones are a FANTASTIC value. i have owned a DKGMT, a DKMG, and a DXMG and i just picked up a DKMG for a buddy. they are great guitars for the money. very hard to beat considering that the DKMG i got for my buddy was $260 or something. i sold off my jacksons (i will say i somewhat regret), and one of these days, i will be picking up another mij jackson (in my case probably a DK2).

i replaced my jacksons with ibanez prestiges. i have four and they are really hard to beat for the price. if i were to find a new guitar, i am not sure if i would go for prestige #5 or a MIJ jackson.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Seems like a common theme is: Made in Japan Jacksons, Made in Japan ESPs, Made in Japan Ibanez.....are all gr8. I have not found Made in Korea Schecters to be bad though.
A buddy of mine has an 80s MIJ BC Rich, a Stealth I think. Kahler trem. Sick guitar.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Seriden
Seems like a common theme is: Made in Japan Jacksons, Made in Japan ESPs, Made in Japan Ibanez.....are all gr8. I have not found Made in Korea Schecters to be bad though.

there are good korean guitars. but i haven't touched a schecter that is on par with a MIJ ESP or a MIJ ibby prestige.

the price isn't a whole lot different used.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Seriden

Made in USA Jackson's are the bomb......
Korean BC Richs are very good. In terms of solidity and quality paint job it reminds me of my old MIJ Charvel, but the BC Rich is neck-through.
Quote by dthmtl3
Korean BC Richs are very good. In terms of solidity and quality paint job it reminds me of my old MIJ Charvel, but the BC Rich is neck-through.

agree. if you get lucky you can find some of the exotic series BC Rich's that were made in czechloslovakia that are supposed to be fantastic. (still looking for one to try they are kinda rare).
Being in Denmark Jackson and Mesa/Boogie are in rare and short supply. Bad marketing is the obvious answer. Besides you do not have 2 of the big 4 playing them as such like 1986 for Metallica prior to ESP. James a white King V and Kirk a Rhoads string through.

Then Megadeth had their share of Jacksons but Mustaine was not allowed to buy the compay and it drifted a part.

But they send me a custom order without me asking for other than a guitar in the 1994 catalog. I thought it was a standard production model but RR2772 has been great thumbs up for Jackson!

BC rich? Well cheap boring guitars which we see in the catalogs and because of shape nothing really in stores. Nothing like the surpreme Mockingbirds used by Slash.
Quote by anders.jorgense
Being in Denmark Jackson and Mesa/Boogie are in rare and short supply. Bad marketing is the obvious answer. Besides you do not have 2 of the big 4 playing them as such like 1986 for Metallica prior to ESP. James a white King V and Kirk a Rhoads string through.

Then Megadeth had their share of Jacksons but Mustaine was not allowed to buy the compay and it drifted a part.

But they send me a custom order without me asking for other than a guitar in the 1994 catalog. I thought it was a standard production model but RR2772 has been great thumbs up for Jackson!

BC rich? Well cheap boring guitars which we see in the catalogs and because of shape nothing really in stores. Nothing like the surpreme Mockingbirds used by Slash.

Jackson still has Megadeth and Anthrax . . . 2 of the big 4 yes? Also Death Angel, Trivium, Machine Head, Havok. Very well represented in thrash.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
Jackson still has Megadeth and Anthrax . . . 2 of the big 4 yes? Also Death Angel, Trivium, Machine Head, Havok. Very well represented in thrash.

Only David Ellefson. Mustaine is a Dean endorsee and Kiko uses Ibanez.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Only David Ellefson. Mustaine is a Dean endorsee and Kiko uses Ibanez.

Right but I'm guessing Ellefson counts as Megadeth. . . . They still have Broderick even after he left.

But either way Jackson kicks ass!
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Last edited by metalmingee at Jan 28, 2016,
Jackson seems pretty popular on these forums if you ask me.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Well for the longest while Mustaine from 1986 to well he still has silver King V but plays Dean.

Then Marty Friedman played Kelly and you could get those in the US at least just the same as what Marty played at some point in the 1990s.

The last lead guitarist for Megadeth before Kiko had his signature with Jackson but a different model than what Jackson is known for.

Anthrax? Scott Ian played a white NYCH Jackson Rhoads but went with ESP. Being friends with Kirk Hammett he got Kirk into ESP and then James followed later. But the last couple of years he seems to be 100% Jackson again with several different models and still has the old white Rhoads. Also a soloist + the Scott Ian signature including a 5 string version

Danny Spitz also used the Rhoads almost from the beginning to the end of Anthrax exept for the reunion which was PRS.