Maybe a silly thread. But maybe not!

Over the past year I have been accumulating guitar equipment so that I could be considered to have a "professional" rig. It is very neat to see the progress I have made, as not too long ago all I had were 3 pedals (not even a proper amp sim!) to work with.

So I am curious what the next step is for my equipment, or if there is a next step. I do not ask because I am dissatisfied but because I am curious if I am missing anything. Although really the "next step" for me might as well be a more reliable car...

Anyway:

72' RI Tele (Humbuckers), AC30C2 (Blue In), Modtone Wah, Mooer Comp, Micro POG, Ponyboy (Klone), Boneshaker (Distortion), Analogizer (Preamp Boost), Sonic Stomp, Zoom G3 (Delay, Verb), Hotone Liftup (Clean Boost). Powered by supplied adapter (G3) and a 1-Spot. Mics are SM57 (center), PG48 (off-center). Cabling is all from BTPA, Switchcraft ends throughout. Board is a Pedaltrain Classic 2. I do have a single-coil guitar but I am not sure of its professional ability yet. For reference this is for a P&W rig, so I use a lot of U2-esque, Ambient, and Jazz-y Rock-y sounds.

I think the weakest points are the 1-Spot (to an Iso-brick), the Hotone Liftup (to TC Spark), and the G3 (to a silly amount of delays and reverbs + a looper with spillover). I have never had any troubles with the 1-Spot though (not even with noise), the clean boost could be a bit "cleaner" but I am not hindered by the Hotone, and the G3 would have to be replaced by its own $1000+ USD board with a looper.

I have also thought about: A power conditioner or voltage regulator for the amp and/or board. Lollar Regals in the Tele. Line drivers and longer cables (I use the effects-loop). A Matchless SC-30 (but goodness that is expensive). Wireless guitar transmitter. Better mics (either another SM57 or something new altogether). Tour cases, although I would probably just get those upon actually needing to tour. A backup guitar, although I think the single-coil guitar can fill that role.

But then again this is all kind of beating around the bush and probably a silly question. I know that having the best gear is not going to help my technique or connections. But that is not the point here. I look at these absolutely insane rigs of other P&W guys in comparison to mine. I wonder, if I were to play with those bands, if my rig would hinder them and me.

Any tips? And again this is not a "how to get involved in a big-name band" but what do I need in my rig to play in a big-name band. Thanks!
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 27, 2016,
After reading your post, I think you've already answered your own question.

You highlighted what you think are the weak pts of your rig, but then later made it clear that its all working for you, and giving you what you need right now... Why fix it if its not broken?

I mean, if YOU don't feel like any of your gear is holding you back right now, then why upgrade? Just because some of the guitarist that you look up to have huge rigs? As long as your tone is sounding decent, you're not going to hold a band back.

My advice would be to get to know the gear you have (reads like you've picked up a lot in the last little bit) better, in order to get the most out of it. Then when the day comes that you feel like a particular piece of equipment is holding you back, then thats the time to upgrade it.

Are you playing live now?
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
A backup guitar is always a good idea for a pro, as is a guitar that does things your main axe does not. Backups for any of your rarer/boutique pedals would also be a good idea.

If you go wireless, don't go cheap.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Will Lane
I look at these absolutely insane rigs of other P&W guys in comparison to mine. I wonder, if I were to play with those bands, if my rig would hinder them and me.!

Lead guitarist at the church I attend has an Arctic white Les Paul Studio and a half-dozen mid-range pedals into mic'd Blues Jr.

That's it.

Guy is awesome, and I've never seen a moment when he needed more, and believe me, he can play!

Get the gear you want, but don't ever for a second think that you actually "need" more to get the job done.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
look into a hayseed 15 or 30 if you are wanting to upgrade the amp (which you don't really need to), i prefer them over the matchless DC30 at my church (i run sound and maintain the equipment). much cheaper too. but you really don't need a new amp.

for pedals, i would look at the exotic ep booster over the TC.

i agree that getting a iso block would be a good idea.

backup guitar IMO is a must. i REALLY love the tones from my worship leaders semi-hollow with P90's.

also, i would get rid of the sonic stomp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I apologize if this is off topic, but I have googled it in the past to no avail. I know, or at least I think, that P&W players are people who play in church, but I have not been able to figure out what P&W stands for.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
And all this time, I thought it was "Piggly & Wiggly".
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Will Lane
^Praise and Worship. Yes, Christian Church guitar players.

Muslims can play guitar too!

No really though I don't know what you want to buy next. I don't even know what I want to buy next.

Maybe it's time to get into building your own gear? Do you have access to a wood working shop? Maybe you need a soldering iron?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Jan 27, 2016,
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
No really though I don't know what you want to buy next. I don't even know what I want to buy next.

Maybe it's time to get into building your own gear? Do you have access to a wood working shop? Maybe you need a soldering iron?
I do not see why I would need to! I do have an iron, all the cables I use I have made myself. But outside of those I do not know what I would need to make, I would rather just buy that kind of stuff...

Although I do want to build a pedal or two from DIY kits, just for fun.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
also, i would get rid of the sonic stomp.
Why do you suggest that?
Quote by red.guitar
Are you playing live now?
Yes. I do not often get paid for playing outside of directing for my Church, though.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 27, 2016,
The sonic stomp is just a fixed eq curve, it is nothing like a real sonic maximizer. That being, if you like it, cool, just be aware of what it is.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I've noticed the better my rig gets (to my own standards), the more my GAS is fading. I love my favorite guitars, I love my amp, I recently sold several pedals and the rest are packed away (no space) but I'm getting good sounds outta my mfx, I'm not gigging so I just don't need anything. But that's cool, maybe I'll end up saving enough to buy a Kemper, not cause I need it but cause I want it...if it works as well as the internet says.

I did recently pick up a Digitech Trio. If you're itching to buy something, I highly recommend it. It's a lotta fun, especially if you have a looper. It actually works pretty well too.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Will Lane
Why do you suggest that?
[regarding sonic stomp]

i had one for a while, at first it seems better and it [for me at least] creates an illusion. you start to turn it up a little bit more, and change your settings on your amp to compensate. then you will find that the sonic stomp is boosting your highs and lows, but leaving your mids where they are. but since you are liking the sound of the amp, you boost the mids on your amp.

so... then i pulled it out, and reEQ'd my amp, and it sounded much better. i tried that with three amps, all sounded better with it eliminated and reEQ'd.

give it a shot and see what you think.

even if you don't want to try doing that, take pics of your settings, pull it out and reEQ the amp and see how things changed. if you don't like it, put it back. however, i have a feeling that you would like it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
get a new WAH. fulltone clyde or an RMC.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
and a mobius. that will take care of your modulations.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MobiusMod

ditch da zoom.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
A decent guitar that stays in tune and has good intonation and a decent tube amp are the only real requirements.

The effects you need depend on the actual gig and set you have to play, but there's nothing that will get you laughed out of a jam with that setup.
I'd second the Timeline & Mobius combo. They're awesome pedals well worth their cost. I find the Mobiusto be the best value out of the two, but the Timeline is hands down one of the best delay pedals available in my opinion.
i'd suggest spending more time worrying about improving your playing and less time trying to keep up with the Jesus's (sorry couldn't resist). worrying about what the "other" guy has just makes you nuts and you end up losing sight of the actual goal. your goal should be sounding the best you can within the confines of your budget. there is always something "better" so again spending to much time worrying about that is a waste of time.

i turned over almost my whole rig in 2013 and haven't looked back since. funny thing is that most of it was dumb luck rather than a great "master plan". i'd never given any thought to buying a BC Rich Eagle but stumbled across one that spoke to me. same with my MIM strat. my overdrives were bought for fairly cheap and i have no intention of replacing them (hard to believe since there are a million different ones out there). my amp again dumb luck. went to GC and hey look a Peavey Ultra 2x12 at a really good price. ok tried it and bam it worked for what i play. is there "better" gear out there than what i have, certainly. does that bother me, NO. what i have works for me and very well. at this point i can spend more time playing and less time worring about whether my gear lives up to some mythical standard that no one can really achieve