10 yrs
6 15%
20 yrs
10 26%
never
20 51%
Voters: 39.
Page 1 of 2
people like you and me (cool people) don't watch TV like our parents (not cool people). We have the internet and shit.

TV will eventually die. But when?

one might think in 10 years, but newspapers still exist so idk
Check out my band Disturbed
TV may die, but some other form of media will take it's place. TV killed bigtime radio, and cable TV is killing network TV.

I give it 20 years.
Quote by whywefight
the functions of tvs and computers are going to start blurring rapidly. they're already trying to blur the line between the two without a whole lot of success but it's sort of an inevitability anyway, I'd assume

do you remember webTV and such
Never, because medical technology will keep non-cool old people alive forever, and they'll want TV.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I assume you don't mean tv shows (cuz as a medium it's slowly usurping film), but like the actual television broadcast system or whatever? Cuz yeah with streaming services like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc it's eventually going to just fade into the internet.
TV will die when everyone who is currently aged 30-50 dies, because I have it on good authority that they are the only people who watch it anymore
I have nothing important to say
TV will die when Anthony Fremont tells you that it's dead.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
A long time. I don't watch TV much because there's much better stuff on the internet, but if there's a live event going on I'm probably going to watch it on TV because live streams are still kinda shit.
Quote by StewieSwan

one might think in 10 years, but newspapers still exist so idk

Radio still exists and who the fuck is still listening to that?
Quote by WaterGod
Radio still exists and who the fuck is still listening to that?

Me, literally every day
Quote by sam b
Me, literally every day
Oh just buy an mp3 player already grandpa.
Quote by GuitarGod_92 at #33799845
I assume you don't mean tv shows (cuz as a medium it's slowly usurping film), but like the actual television broadcast system or whatever? Cuz yeah with streaming services like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc it's eventually going to just fade into the internet.

Basically

People don't really give a shit about watching things when they debut anymore, but TV (as in the content) is probably more popular than ever overall.

The only thing really keeping cable as a thing at this point is sports. As soon as some kind of subscription service comes along that has all of that, cable is fucked.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jan 27, 2016,
when CNN and Fox news go out of business...

so never, at least in the U.S

and plebs still watch sports on cable television, so there's that.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

In Ireland you've to purchase a TV license if you own a TV. It's €160 a year, to subsidise the state broadcaster.

Myself and herself haven't bothered with a TV as a result. I do most of my TV watching through the laptop, or tablet or whatever. Got a projector and hooked it up to a chromecast, given that we never watch TV during the day anyway and you get a proper cinema experience. Don't have to pay for a TV license, so that saving pays my netflix subscription!
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Not many, at least in the sense of over the air or cable/dish bundling services. Unlike newspapers and books which have some aesthetic and nostalgic appeal along with some practicality, there is basically no advantage to cable over a la carte channel or show ordering via Internet.
Your ranges are too shortsighted.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by megano28
Your ranges are too shortsighted.

The invention of the airplane preceded the moon landing by only 60 years. I don't think 20 years is 'shortsighted' in the world of technology.
Quote by StewieSwan
The invention of the airplane preceded the moon landing by only 60 years.

woah
it's already dead innirrr

that newspapers and radio are still around doesn't mean they aren't dead. they're relics.
Quote by BelowTheSun
... Not any time soon. TV is in a golden age.

It certainly is. There are some really great shows that have come out the last few years. The interesting thing, to me, is that cable (and the internet) are the ones producing the best stuff. Network TV is still utter crap, but cable channels like AMC are dominating. Plus original internet series are better than ever. Netflix original series are almost uniformly excellent.

I'm much happier with "TV" now that I've cancelled my cable and just gone internet/AmazonPrime/Netflix. Plus, I'm playing the guitar a lot more! Best of all is I'm "saving" $170 a month" from before. You know what guys with more expendable income like to do around here? That's right...I'm eyeballing another kickass guitar.
Last edited by TobusRex at Jan 27, 2016,
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by WaterGod
Oh just buy an mp3 player already grandpa.

I have one, what's your point?
people with jobs and cars listen to radio
for the last year or so I have my TV on but take about 10% in of what's on. my dumb ass even pays for cable. I want to do away with it but then I will feel some urgent need for it when it's gone. don't know if that really was on topic but that's where I'm coming from.....I say never!
Quote by Hydra150
people with jobs and cars listen to radio

Yeah, spending an hour on the road a day and you'll learn to love radio. I hear so many new songs, get news, and love my local morning radio show. You'll even get used to switching channels every 10-15 mins when a 5 min block of commercials hit.

But for TV? When sports go online I won't need a TV anymore. I need my HD sports. Other than that I watch maybe 4 channels. HBO, AMC, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim.
my problem with online viewing rn is it doesn't feel topical or immediate

mainly on TV I'll watch the news, or some news related/current events programming
and in an ideal world topical satire and talk shows
(although for current American shows I'd need to stream/download anyway, and I'm usually too lazy and miss stuff)

ofc TV stations can be streamed live via Internet if you know where to look, and you can stream shows after they've been recorded but that doesn't have the immediacy that you get with live TV
Quote by DukeDeRox
Yeah, spending an hour on the road a day and you'll learn to love radio.

I drive an average of 10-12 hours a week and I never listen to the radio.
Quote by StewieSwan
I drive an average of 10-12 hours a week and I never listen to the radio.

I don't have an aux port and I don't like listening to my own music cause I know I'll start to hate it unless I'm working out or drawing. Then I pick the mood music.

I also really love hearing new songs live. Plus Fridays they play local bands only. Radio does a lot of neat things for me so I don't have to. Cause I'm lazy.
Quote by mattedbird
for the last year or so I have my TV on but take about 10% in of what's on. my dumb ass even pays for cable. I want to do away with it but then I will feel some urgent need for it when it's gone. don't know if that really was on topic but that's where I'm coming from.....I say never!

Sounds like me. I usually just had cable TV on for "background chatter" anyway. Now Netflix does the same thing for $170 less a month
Page 1 of 2