Blink-182's 'All the Small Things' was one of the first songs I ever learned on guitar, and it's still my go-to when I need to kick back, relax, and just jam to an easy song. My reference cover can be viewed below.

In March, I'll be participating in my high school's Mini-Thon (a great cause, please check it out), which includes a portion in which selected students are tapped to put on a mini talent show-type thing. I was chosen specifically to play guitar as my talent, so I'm aiming to play 'All the Small Things' for the show.

I can't wait to play my first real "gig," but I'm still somewhat apprehensive about it. Any opinions, comments, and suggestions on how to improve my playing would definitely be helpful, and any tips for making it through the first gig without screwing up/dying of nerves/etc. are more than welcome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfRiDNzxbi8

Thank you for your time, and rock on!

-Noah

(P.S.: I swear, I'm usually not so un-dynamic when I'm playing. I just had to stand still for the camera)
Last edited by TheAviator1997 at Jan 27, 2016,
Well it's good enough. Played probably as well a Tom Delonge plays it. If I was being picky I'd say that your palm muting could be a bit more rhythmic, but this is Blink, so it's not exactly vital for this type of song. Also, curling your pinky up when playing power chords is a bad idea. I used to do it and it seriously hampered my playing when I moved beyond punk pop songs (yes, I used to love Blink, Offspring, Green Day, Sum41, etc!!). Try to use 3 fingers for power chords.
Quote by gweddle.nz
Try to use 3 fingers for power chords.

Thanks! I've definitely been trying to work on that. When I was first learning, someone told me to use two fingers, and being an impressionable newbie, I listened. I'm only now realizing what awful advice that was, so I've been strengthening that pinkie and forcing it down whenever I practice
Every now and again, your timing is rushed, but audience isn't going to notice that. Otherwise, good job.

On the power chord thing ... it's fine to use 2 or 3 fingers to make the chord. It's not fine to curl the little finger though. I'll often play the chord using just 1st and 4th fingers (or 3rd finger) depending what's coming up next. Even maj chords, rooted off 5th string, I'll play it that way, as I don't usually want to hear the 1st string then (unless essential to melody, in which case I'll change how I play it). I very rarely bend any top finger joint in the "wrong" direction ... it's not good to let it collapse. The only time I'll ever do that is with sweep picking in certain chord shapes.

As for gig ... remember most folk are there to have fun, not to slag the musicians off. That, combined with the simple tune that you've chosen, means you shouldn't worry. Enjoy the applause!
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Jan 28, 2016,
Try strumming both up and down during the chorus. I'm not a big Blink-182 fan but I imagine the chorus isn't just downstrokes. It will also help you keep time better if you have that consistent up and down rhythm.

EDIT: I watched a live performance and he does in fact strum it up and down
Last edited by vayne92 at Jan 28, 2016,
Quote by vayne92
Try strumming both up and down during the chorus. I'm not a big Blink-182 fan but I imagine the chorus isn't just downstrokes. It will also help you keep time better if you have that consistent up and down rhythm.

EDIT: I watched a live performance and he does in fact strum it up and down

This is a good point. I wish I had learned how to strum rhythmically from the get go, it makes a huge difference to the fluidity of the music. Pivot from the elbow and swing the arm like a pendulum (not too stiff though, keep the wrist loose and relaxed). Your arm should move up and down to the beat regardless of the strumming pattern.

It's not really vital for punk songs, but incorporate good strumming technique into any song will enhance it.

I'm sure there are many great YouTube vids on this. This crazy ozzy for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH_tNwcdC2Y
Last edited by gweddle.nz at Jan 28, 2016,
@gweddle.nz: What do you mean by "rhythmic strumming"? I just strum to the beat, plain old strumming. I've never paid much attention to up/down strokes, I just try to stay in time on the right chord. If the video will explain please ignore my question (can't watch it now).

Curious here, not trying to be a smartass.
Last edited by TobusRex at Jan 28, 2016,
Quote by TheAviator1997
selected students are tapped

Not sure if it's the same where you are, but down here in Oz, that extra 'p' makes this sentence have a whole new meaning
Quote by SpiderM
Not sure if it's the same where you are, but down here in Oz, that extra 'p' makes this sentence have a whole new meaning

Haha! Probably should have thought more about my wording there
Great video mate, you'll be absolutely fine for the gig!
For your general playing - as others have mentioned, work on getting your little finger out from behind the neck. 2-finger power chords are fine, but you shouldn't be tucking the little finger behind the neck.
For a practise exercise - work on playing this song using 3-finger power chords, you should be able to play it both ways. It's not that one way is better than the other, they're just different and it's best to have both options under your fingers.
Check out my free iOS game, designed to help you learn the notes on the guitar fretboard!
(You get to shoot zombies too! :-)

I'd really appreciate any feedback & suggestions.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxpEM6FKtws
Very good job there with the cover. Yep, I second a lot of what was said: up-down chorus strumming and 3-finger power chord strumming. Other than that, yeah, this is pretty much how Blink would actually play the song hahahahaha