How do you do a solo type thing like this

---
---
-7-
-x-
-5-
---

i cant get them to sound good by putting a finger on (not pushing down) the D string
Last edited by Awesomeniss200 at Jan 28, 2016,
I usually do the muting with my first finger, I just bend it back a little like I was about to do a barre chord, but only enough to mute the higher string. It's situational of course, but that's how I usually do it.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I play octaves the same way @Jerrykramskoy described, except I mute all the strings, except the two I'm playing.
So this:

E x
A 5
D x
G 7
B x
E x

I dunno if thats the right way, but it works for me.
Quote by Kevätuhri
I usually do the muting with my first finger, I just bend it back a little like I was about to do a barre chord, but only enough to mute the higher string. It's situational of course, but that's how I usually do it.

Same here, I think it's much easier this way.
hybrid picking can help (as well as muting, you'll still need to mute)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The way I do octaves... index finger on the 5th fret and the fleshy part of my index finger mutes the D string (what I mean by fleshy part is... when you are looking down at your finger it comes about half way across your finger nail). I'm sure you can look up some vids that will show you exactly the technique if you are a visual learner.
I would do index on the 5, rest that finger on the in between string, and then 3rd finger the 7, in most cases, but I'd probably play that a few ways depending on what came right before, and what will come after.
fwiw, can't really do the mute with the tip of your finger if the tip is on the 5. you need to use the tip to fret the note and let the flesh between the tip and the first joint on the index finger do the mute.

the way i got them down happened when i stopped fixating on how to do them. at that point, i discovered just how easy they are.
Last edited by ad_works at Jan 29, 2016,