Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows the difference between the Gibson v or explorer besides hardware. I played the explorer and liked it a lot but have not played a v yet. I want to get the v cause I like v guitars but our GC doesn't stock them. So what's the playability difference between the 2? If I liked the explorer would I like the way the v plays and sounds?
you get better access to the higher frets on the V.

i have an early 2000's Gibson gothic V that is an absolute beast. i love the fucking thing. i love gibsons 500t's in the bridge.

someday (my list is realllllly long) i will pick up an explorer.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dirtdevilfox
So what's the playability difference between the 2? If I liked the explorer would I like the way the v plays?

The only way to determine this is to play one yourself.

Assuming the same pickups & amp etc, the sound shouldn't be significantly different, but how a guitar feels to play is a very personal thing, and especially with Gibsons can be different from guitar to guitar even with what is supposedly exactly the same model.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
another difference is the V will probably weigh a noticeable amount less.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I have had both. The V to me was very easy to play, it felt comfortable and had great access to the upper frets. It was also much easier to play sitting down (classical position). Another V is on my short list of guitars to re-buy. As also mentioned there is a noticeable weight difference. I love the look of the explorer, but when it came down to it, it was one of the last guitars I reached for to play.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Explorers are bad ass.

V's are just awesome.

Completely down to preference, if anything they will sound incredibly similar.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
(my opinion)
I like Explorers better. Since I mostly play sitting down, playing with a FlyingV feels awkward.
I will say though, that FlyingV's designs are cool, and are fun to play if standing up (especially on solos, where reaching higher frets are easier).
OK thanks looks like I will go with the v. I already have a Jackson kxmg pro so I'm use to v guitars. This will be the last guitar I am going to buy.
Quote by dirtdevilfox
OK thanks looks like I will go with the v. I already have a Jackson kxmg pro so I'm use to v guitars. This will be the last guitar I am going to buy.

-Said no one ever on UG!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
You can only have one explorer?

"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
i think you need korina and mahogany versions of both.

ya know, backups.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
There is a difference in tone that noone mentions. The V due to its shape has a more midrangey sound, while the Explorer due to its shape has a darker more meaty tone. To me the Explorer seems like the better guitar. No issue playing it while sitting, while the V is a nightmare sitting down.
Quote by dirtdevilfox

Wait for the Gibson tuners to start giving out and we'll talk again.
V's do have more midrange than Explorers in a similar way that SG's do to Les Pauls. Isn't surprising really since the way V's are constructed is similar in many ways to an SG.

Has nothing to do with the shape, but more to do with the fact that V's have quite a large route under the pickguard that Explorers don't.
Quote by dirtdevilfox
This will be the last guitar I am going to buy.

You wish.
Quote by diabolical
the V is a nightmare sitting down.

Then you're doing it wrong.
Quote by diabolical
Wait for the Gibson tuners to start giving out and we'll talk again.

Mine have been fine for years.

I've changed mine to Grovers on my '68 reissue, but it had nothing to do with them not staying in tune. I just like how Grover keystones look.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 28, 2016,
Chad was totally playing Rock Bottom
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by gregs1020

Now that's something!

The Jackson RR has a nice shape and I used that design (Kramer V) with longer top fin for live work for quite a few years, it was the most comfortable guitar to play live. Sitting down was not as bad as equal fin V but still not as comfortable as say a Strat or Les Paul, or Explorer.
Last edited by diabolical at Jan 28, 2016,
So would it be like comparing the SD invaders to the emgs in my king v. I played the explorer and loved the way it sounds. Nice chunky sound and would I be disappointed in the way the v sounds compared to it
I find it weird that you like a certain guitar and are looking to get something pretty similar that you haven't played yet. Why not just get the Explorer if you like it or go out and play a V and decide for yourself?

I personally prefer V's, but that's probably because the only Explorer I played wasn't even close to the V's, SG's and Les Paul's I've played playability-wise.