I was just watching some Rap Critic Episodes and some Hair Metal documentaries in youtube, And while I was watching them I remembered a Quote said by Kanye West:

"Rap Is The New Rock N Roll, We The Real Rock Stars And I'm The Biggest Of All Em..."

In every video that involves that infamous interview, there were people who were quick to bash him saying that Rap is nothing compared to Rock, that Rock Bands are musical Gods compared to Rap. That today's rap is garbage and blah blah blah.

I always had this saying: Imagine Rock bands as today's orchestras and Opera and the musicians the composers of the orchestra. While rap is the Poetry or Sonnets of the past.

Here was a interesting comment in one of those videos by "ireter294":

"What he [Kanye] is saying that rock was the new, cool, rebellious, music that teenagers and young adults loved back in the 50s-80s and now rap is the new, cool, rebellious music that teenagers and young adults love. Adults in the 50s-80s thought rock was a talentless bullshit excuse of music (not true) and adults today think rap is a talentless bullshit excuse of music (not true) so many young people wanted to be rockstars back in 50s-80s and now so many young people want to be rappers. and if you really wanna go back young people loved jazz in the 20s-40s and adults then thought it was a talentless bullshit excuse for music (not true) and jazz was the new, cool, rebellious music young people loved.

Rap has the influence of rock and rappers are the coolest guys around like now rockstars were the coolest guys around."

Here's my honest time line on rap and comparisons to rock

90s - Rap became big due to musicians like NWA, Dr.Dre, Nas, Tupac. They are compareable to 70s rock.

2000s to 2010s - Rap became even more mainstream with a cost. Dance Rap, Southern rap, trap rap ruled the charts but are hated due to how bad they are. This is similar to the 80s, i imagine Kanye as Axl Rose or Lil Wayne as Motley Crue. But while that is happening, the underground/indie rap scene is flourishing with fresh amazing acts like Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, J Cole, Kendrick Lamar and MF Doom, they are compareable to the different sub genres of metal during the 80s and the 90s like thrash, prog, doom, and so forth.

And i remembered watching some 80s hairmetal videos and saw the comment section is filled with people feeling nostalgic about hairmetal and saying that todays mainstream music is not like them. Thats funny, because chances are they might be the same people who wished hair metal died. Nostalgia is a misleading feeling that makes you forget how crappy the past was. All the things we complained and got sick of in the past became things that we missed today. Crappy camera qualities, Hair Metal, that frat party you had, the first day you lost your virginity, Gaming, lack of internet, all that stuff.

And for my last comparison, lets compare 80s Hairmetal and todays mainstream rap:
Crappy clothing: Check
Vices and over Indulgence: Check
Carelessness: Check
Interviews that make them sound and look stupid: Check
Surrounded by "Groupies": Check
Embarrassing music: Check
Bad Lyrics: Check
Overspending on useless garbage: Check
To much money: Check
Have Lots of Fans and are seen as rolemodels for some reason: Check
Fights with other Musicians: Check
Are seen by other people as Posers: Check
Will "Steal your girl and stuff": Check
Drugs and Alcohol: Check

These are just my thoughts on rap in general, I love rap but i dislike musicians like Kanye, Young Thug, Future, and Rick Ross. and sorry for the bad english. Any thoughts?

P.S We need another Decline of Western Civilization movie about Rap. Agree?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
What about pop punk

Pop punk as a genre has given us some of the best music ever but also some of the most horrendous. In fairly equal measure too.
Kanye is your OG and he will be respected as such.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Kanye is some dude trying to be "rock(rap) star" who looks like a kid. He is miserably egoistic. Not egoistic like Jim Morrison was. Jim Morrison KNEW he was THE one. Kanye West tries to SELL who he is as a god.

Kanye is a wanna-be music god. He will be remembered as an entertainer, but not someone like Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Lemmy.

Also rap is not comparable to 70's rock. Rap in 00's and now is reachable. Even if you try to avoid it, someone will try to shove it up your throat. 70's rock was something you searched for. You couldnt open your smartphone get on google and type LED ZÖPLIN which would get auto corrected.

edit: also worth mentioning most of those checks OP listed is not actually checks. Carelessnes? really? Kanye apoligised last night after ranting for hours because of his misunderstanding. I'll call him careless when he smokes a joint at national TV.
Quote by arcanom
Mint and chocolate shouldnt be togather.
"Literally Worst Post of 2k16" approved by After Eight Lovers...
Last edited by arcanom at Jan 28, 2016,
Quote by RAB11
^lol this guy.

thanks.
Quote by arcanom
Quote by korinaflyingv
jim morrison was a waste of space lol

That I can say for every living person, except myself.
Quote by arcanom
Quote by arcanom
thanks.

To elaborate:

I'm not a massive fan of rap myself but to say it's not had the same social impact as rock did and that its main players don't have the same influence as rock stars of old is laughable.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is either too old to appreciate or even notice the impact, or is daft enough to believe that liking or not liking something has any bearing on whether that thing is important or not.

In my opinion
Quote by Joshua Garcia
tl;dr. Is this like Rock Paper Scissors? Because nostalgia definitely beats rock.

Does it beat bluegrass?
Quote by korinaflyingv
jim morrison was a waste of space lol

Don't diss the Lizard King..
TIL Macklemore and Kendrick Lamar are underground.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
You know what rap, metal and nostalgia have in common?

It's all shit that people think is better than it actually is.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by RAB11
To elaborate:

I'm not a massive fan of rap myself but to say it's not had the same social impact as rock did and that its main players don't have the same influence as rock stars of old is laughable.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is either too old to appreciate or even notice the impact, or is daft enough to believe that liking or not liking something has any bearing on whether that thing is important or not.

In my opinion

I didnt mean to say rap culture didnt have impact on our decade. What I try to say is Kanye or any other rapper is not the source of that impact. We are well past of the situation where "a rock star changes the world". Its not someone making the impact anymore. Its the whole industy leading a hive mind into a change. Shaping it.

However when you look at the 70's or 60's those bands, those rockstars had their music, their innovation before they became big. They became big because of what they already created.

Jaco got on the stage and played what he always did, and what no one else did before him. He didnt need marketing experts, stylists or all that bullshit.

Jim Morrison didnt care about what others think about him. He didnt care about it when he got live on national TV, and didnt care about it when he played Light My Fire.

Take Bowie. He was one of the first to create wicked images, wicked scenes at stage. However I never heard of him hesitating about what he created. His worst album Tonight was SHIT and he knew it. He said he hated it and regreted it. However he didnt regret it because it didnt satisfty some production company or audience. He regreted it for not matching what he had in his mind.

In the other hand we have Kanye West. I dont blame him. I dont like his music however he just CANT be like Bowie, Jim or Jaco was. Not because he doesnt have the talent (Im not an authority to judge that) or creativity, but because times are changed. All the media pressure, economical pressure and pressure from audience prevents musicians from becoming what rock stars was 30+ years ago.

I think Bowie's interview about internet is supporting this idea. Audience is so much more involved in creative process of music now. Its almost "music on demand". The control / limitations of production companies (it doesnt make sense to call em record companies anymore) is beyond imaginable.
Quote by arcanom
Yeah man.

Haven't you heard of that underground band Maroon 5? They're just like Pat Benatar & Nirvana.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by arcanom
Kanye is some dude trying to be "rock(rap) star" who looks like a kid. He is miserably egoistic. Not egoistic like Jim Morrison was. Jim Morrison KNEW he was THE one. Kanye West tries to SELL who he is as a god.

I'll give you an Amen brother!
I remember when metal was in back in the 80's and early 90's. Fun times. Could hear Metallica's black album on the radio.