Someone gave me a Yamaha Pacifica yesterday (HSS). She said it fell down the stairs ( ). When I plugged it in, it wasn't making a sound, just a hum. So I suspected a ground issue. When I touch a metal surface on the guitar, the hum was gone, but still no sound. So I plugged in another strat and ruled out the amp. Openend her up and saw nothing odd in the wiring, except for a little difference in the diagram of Seymour Duncan. The tone pot in the lower left corner of the diagram has a wire on the left and capacitor on the middle. Those are switched in the Pacifica. Was working fine in the past, though. The odd thing is that it somethings springs back to life, but instead of one pickup, I get magenetism on all pickups, and always hum which disappears when I touch the tremolo baseplate. Checked the jack, nothing wrong there.

Anyone?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
I'd say the string ground, but if anything since it comes back to life when it feels like it , it has to be a loose connection. Luckily in the guitar industry for overseas guitars every wire is cut as short as possible as everything is money. So if you do find a loose wire there is only a few places it'll go.

on the tremolo the claw (part that holds the springs) i'd check that wire out first
besides that as we know ground is a trail out of the guitar
it's not the input jack, as it wasn't re-wired by anyone else
and it's not touching any of the walls in the guitar so that rules out a short (so far)
I checked everything that you mentioned, but there are no loose connections. The ground wire of the claw is attached firmly.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
I noticed that the tremolo springs seem to be brass, never seen that, if there is a lot of excess current in the tremolo that can't be transferred to the claw ground because of less conductivity in the springs, could that be an issue? Don't see the tremolo itself being grounded. Just thinking out loud.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Still haven't found the issue. Didn't notice a hum today, but the 5-way switch seems to be sort of working in the middle position and the other position when he feels like it. I checked the switch and I've never seen one like this before. I'm sure it's wired correctly in the factory, but still. Could it be the switch?

Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal