Well, a good decade and a half of playing has come and gone. I've had more fuzz pedals than women, and they've all lasted just about as long. It's only fitting that the guitar I got about two weeks before I got married is still my main to this day. I never made a NGD for it, but I always meant to.

From the guy who's forum signature was "SSS" for a solid four years, it's no secret that I'm sort of a Strat fanatic. However, as the youthful exuberance gives way to wondering if I should bump up my car insurance, or curiously wondering where my 401k is at, so too waining is my patience for afternoon-consuming setups.

So, there's this guy who lives like 40 minutes out of Madison named Bob Logan. He's a tele builder, somewhat popular on TDPRI, he posts there sometimes. I was working at a music store when a guy came in wanting to sell his Esquire. I knew of Bob's work before because I took a 52' Blackguard clone in on consignment and the guitar was a screamer. So, when I saw this Esquire pop in I was excited. The guy said he was in need of some emergency cash, he'd only had the guitar a month, and he was here to sell it.

I told him, "Well, this local custom stuff doesn't move super well, people are tied to the names on their headstocks these days." Madison is totally a market of look what I got! I told him I could sell it used for about $800, and I could give him a 70/30 split on consignment. That wasn't fast enough for him.

I looked at my manager to see if he wanted it. He's a Jazzmaster freak and a headstock snob, so he scoffed a bit and went "$200." Obviously the guy was a bit put off, he spent over a grand on this piece. But, considering his emergency, the dude was actually considering it. I whipped out my phone, looked at my bank account, and without much forethought said, "I'll give you $300 for it right now."

Deal. Handshake. NGD.

It's been through transformations. Originally it had a Wilkinson Dual Rail tucked under the pickguard that you could switch to for a muddy tone, but the volume drop was huge. I got a new pickguard for it and put in an Ibanez Super 58 in the neck for a while. Did require some routing, but whatever. I'm a partscaster fan, blasphemy only excites the heart.

Eventually I realized I was only using the bridge and though the mix of the two was too plucky. I bought a couple other tone caps, put the original bakelite pickguard on, and gave it the old Eldred Mod treatment. The bridge holds a good ol' Seymour Duncan Broadcaster, I swapped the tuners out for black Sperzels. Gives it a bit more mojo than the chromed up vintage tuners that are on my Strat now.

Slowly, I became a convert to the single cut life. The dynamics were so subtle that I ended up knabbing a Vox AC15C1 just so I could hear them together in my living room. It's been a magical combo for a good 6 months now. I've built a Thinline in the meantime and worked on a few other Tele projects.

To this day when people ask what guitars I'm into I hesitantly say "I'm a Strat guy," if only out of habit. I haven't wiggled a trem in a few weeks. The mistress will always be there when I feel the need to cover Lenny, but as any good woman, three brass saddles are too reliable to deny... even if they are a bit shrill at times.

I haven't named it yet. I'm thinking Harriet.

OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Nice! I can dig it. I can only imagine that it sounds phenomenal
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I didn't read it but the pictures look great!

I am a sucker for a natural finish. HNGD!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Nice! Whose winning the chess match? Tele or Strat?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Good story, nice axe!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Tele opened with the Scotch Game, but Strat didn't take and is running a modified Sicilian. Tele's got more middle, but Strat's got more angles. It'll be a nail biter.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Nice

Cool story too.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Tele's are king of the guitar world. Welcome to the club.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by The Judist
HNGD
I wouldn't mind it but this article disagrees lol http://menga.net/the-5-types-of-guitars-you-should-never-buy

The guitar is single pickup and has a pickup selector that changes the tone via different capacitor values so you still have a variety of tone. Not to mention a lot of Esquires were routed for 2 pups anyway so it's not difficult to swap them in that case. ALSO that article leaves out that the single pickup Esquire WAS CHEAPER than a 2 pickup one so it was a good deal at the time. Plus, some people like a single pickup since they use the tone knob instead of swapping pups.

They are way less stupid than a single pickup hair metal superstrat or the article itself.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by The Judist
HNGD
I wouldn't mind it but this article disagrees lol http://menga.net/the-5-types-of-guitars-you-should-never-buy

The author sounds like a grumpy asshole.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by ryanbwags
The author sounds like a grumpy asshole.

His reasons are retarded too but this article has been around for a while.

Like he even says at one point "Is the Spirit a good guitar? Yes it is. Does it sound good? Yes it does. Does it play well? Again, yes."

"So what's the problem?"

"It looks like an unfinished toy."

It's a good guitar folks, but don't buy it because this old fart thinks it looks like a toy and you don't want to look like a fool on stage amirite?

Complaints about the Bich "I'm an idiot and can't fathom why anybody would want a bunch of knobs that control things on a guitar. Anything more than 4 is too hard for me to understand so OBVIOUSLY its useless and for stupid tech kids"

I won't even bother touching that.

On double necks: "They only look cool on stage. There is no reason to use one."

You know, unless you want a 12 string sound in a song and you have 1 guitar player and you don't want to switch guitars HALF WAY THROUGH A DAMN SONG.

Like this guy can't be a real person...
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Ippon
Congrats! New wife, new guitar,

Dibs!

On the wife or the guitar?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
excellent
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
His reasons are retarded too but this article has been around for a while.

Like he even says at one point "Is the Spirit a good guitar? Yes it is. Does it sound good? Yes it does. Does it play well? Again, yes."

"So what's the problem?"

"It looks like an unfinished toy."

It's a good guitar folks, but don't buy it because this old fart thinks it looks like a toy and you don't want to look like a fool on stage amirite?

Complaints about the Bich "I'm an idiot and can't fathom why anybody would want a bunch of knobs that control things on a guitar. Anything more than 4 is too hard for me to understand so OBVIOUSLY its useless and for stupid tech kids"

I won't even bother touching that.

On double necks: "They only look cool on stage. There is no reason to use one."

You know, unless you want a 12 string sound in a song and you have 1 guitar player and you don't want to switch guitars HALF WAY THROUGH A DAMN SONG.

Like this guy can't be a real person...

TBH, the real reason you should never buy a double neck is because a double neck is half assing it. Well, it's 2/5ths assing it, anyway.

He has a bigger one:
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

/\ Oh my god, how is that even a thing?
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
nice. of course your strats are already planning to do away with that evil bitch that is taking you from them ( i mean the esquier not the mrs.......yet )
Upon seeing those pictures, I have to say 3 things:

1) I won't say which, but I'm in one.

2) I need to find out how the picture was taken.

3) At least one lie is contained in this post.

^I didn't know you played guitar hero. It was obviously taken with a selfie stick.

The lie is a lie. So there is no lie. Fuck. Now we're stuck in a loop.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Upon seeing those pictures, I have to say 3 things:

1) I won't say which, but I'm in one.

2) I need to find out how the picture was taken.

3) At least one lie is contained in this post.

We all know fine well the picture of you and your keyboards was posed.
Beautiful guitar, awesome story, I can be a bit of a headstock snob at times but it has never blinded me to great quality non traditional brands, sounds like you stole this one you should thank your manager
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

This Tele looks super nice !!
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM (With Upgrades)
Laney IRT Studio (IRT112 Cab)
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q