Hello everyone. I'm looking for help identifying this guitar. I know it is a Gibson SG but I don't know what model it is since it has the P90 pickups and black headstock with "SG" labeled truss rod cover. I think it is a '67 Reissue. I know there were only a handful of those made. I don't think it is a SG Standard P90 because it says "SG" on the truss rod cover and doesn't have the crown headstock inlay thing. Maybe it could be something else? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Looks like a Special 60's tribute. The pickups look as if they have been upgraded as the originals had black covers.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
It's not a reissue at all. Wrong bridge, hardware, pickguard etc....

More likely a cheapo SG Special '60s Tribute

Quote by bobafettacheese
Looks like a Special 60's tribute. The pickups look as if they have been upgraded as the originals had black covers.

Or they swapped the covers.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Really? Because here is a picture from Gibson of the '67 reissue. Same pickguard. Looks like same hardware and same controls. I can't tell if the pickups in the picture are black or chrome.

Also special 60s tribute doesn't have "SG" on the truss rod cover? You are right they look almost exact the same.

Pickups are chome. Said it was bought new with the chrome pickups.
Last edited by reelbigfish2020 at Jan 29, 2016,
Quote by reelbigfish2020
Really? Because here is a picture from Gibson of the '67 reissue. Same pickguard. Looks like same hardware and same controls. I can't tell if the pickups in the picture are black or chrome.

That guitar has binding and not the same pickguard? Your guitar has a single ply black pickguard and not 3 ply. Not to mention the 67 is not a satin finish either.

Whats the serial number?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jan 29, 2016,
Gotcha. Yes, I see that now. Hmm. I wonder what is up with the "SG" truss rod plate and chrome pickups then?
People lie all the time. Especially on CL, sometimes its because they don't know or might be because they do know and hope that you don't. Either way the give away to me was the finish on it. SG covers are cheap. The binding was another thing as well.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by reelbigfish2020
Gotcha. Yes, I see that now. Hmm. I wonder what is up with the "SG" truss rod plate and chrome pickups then?

Easily purchased and relatively inexpensive add-ons.
Quote by reelbigfish2020

Those are parts that are easily swapped out. It couldve been a previous owner if it was used (even if they say it came like that new).
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
It has a satin finish which would make it a modern day Special, as far as I know. The RI's are gloss finished. Truss-rods and pickup covers are quick swaps. He could've bought it "new" off someone that swapped those before him or had them swapped when purchased by the store.

I've never seen a stock SG Special with chrome P90 pickups, so I'm guessing those are modified.
Re-Issues don't have Gold SilkScreened Gibson logo either, they have Pearl inlay.
Moving on.....