I bought a nylon string classical (well flamenco technically) guitar from zzounds which arrived yesterday. It's a Cordoba GK Studio which I paid about $699 for.

I like the guitar but I noticed a few potential issues with it.

1. fret overhang on the neck (I think the guitar might just need to be put in a humidifier for a little while)

2. some imperfections in the wood on the maple top

3. Something that looks like a gluing residue or imperfection on the neck joint.

I wanted to get some people on the forums opinion about this. I could return it but it just feels like a hassle to pack it all up ship it back wait for a new guitar and hope its better (but I'll never know exactly until it arrives)

I know its always better to buy a guitar in person but I needed to use zzounds for unrelated reasons otherwise I would have just walked into a store and purchased it.

Here's some pictures.

P.S. If you were in my shoes and you received a brand new guitar in the mail, what kind of steps would you take to inspect the guitar when you first got it. I just looked at the finish, the neck joint, not really sure how to check the neck alignment or fretwork yet.

I don't like the looks of the score marking in front of the bridge, (next to last picture), or what appears to be, "the crack to be announced later", running toward the neck, (same picture)

The pictures are sort of awful though, (mobile phone ?), what I'm seeing could be a shadow.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 29, 2016,
Quote by Captaincranky
I don't like the looks of the score marking in front of the bridge, (next to last picture), or what appears to be, "the crack to be announced later", running toward the neck, (same picture)

The pictures are sort of awful though, (mobile phone ?), what I'm seeing could be a shadow.

Thanks Captaincranky, it seems this forum doesn't autoscale images and the pictures were actually too high res. I just scaled them down by 70% and should be easier to see now.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "score marking"?
Last edited by Funkfish at Jan 29, 2016,
Why take any chances? Ship it back and get a new one before it's too late.
Quote by TobusRex
Why take any chances? Ship it back and get a new one before it's too late.

Yep ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Well I have 45 days to ship it back. Was there something on here that specifically jumped out at you as a reason to ship it back?
Quote by Funkfish
Well I have 45 days to ship it back. Was there something on here that specifically jumped out at you as a reason to ship it back?

Your dissatisfaction. You are clearly concerned with your new axe. Cranky seemed concerned about some things as well and he knows his shit about guitars. You must like it though because you are trying to justify keeping it.

The way I see it, why take any chances? If the guitar does have problems you can resolve it quickly by exchanging it. If it's actually okay and the blemishes are only cosmetic...why should YOU settle for a guitar that isn't what you thought you were getting?

That being said...if it plays well I can understand your reluctance. Especially if you are a guy a long way from a guitar store and you'll be out an axe until the new one arrives.
I think the score mark is just the edge of the golpeador/tap plate.

Since this is a Cordoba, I would be looking at the neck angle. It isn't supposed to be as steep as a steel string, but some of the ones I've seen are lower than I like the look of.

The rest looks good to me. The heel is a bit rough, but clearly isn't separating from the body, and the streaks in the top are just resin canals. Also the top has nice silkng, which seems to be fairly uniform over its whole area, and that is normally seen as a plus in spruce, and the grain is attrractive.

I would certainly be keeping it if the neck angle and sound are OK, based on the look of the top.
Quote by Tony Done
I think the score mark is just the edge of the golpeador/tap plate.
I hadn't considered the guitar might have a tap plate on it. The problem I'm having is interpreting the photos from a shadow/ highlight POV. Where I should have a bit of a shadow, I get reflections. (Notice only the silver reflections from the strings, without any darkening ). The lighting is either incredibly flat, or the imaging program is removing a bit too much contrast from the result. OTOH, I couldn't the swear the guitar actually has a tap plate on it

Quote by Tony Done
Since this is a Cordoba, I would be looking at the neck angle. It isn't supposed to be as steep as a steel string, but some of the ones I've seen are lower than I like the look of.
The saddle doesn't have what I would consider a whole lot of white showing. But again OTOH, it appears to be reinforced, possibly allowing a bit of machining of the wood should it come to pass the action needs lowering.

Quote by Tony Done
The rest looks good to me. The heel is a bit rough, but clearly isn't separating from the body, and the streaks in the top are just resin canals. Also the top has nice silkng, which seems to be fairly uniform over its whole area, and that is normally seen as a plus in spruce, and the grain is attractive.
As to the neck joint, I would want to rule out the "goop", being nothing more than excess polish. A nice rub down with a micro-fiber cloth might help.

All of the other cosmetic issues in both sets of photos seem to be just that, cosmetic and causally predictable, perhaps unavoidable.

As to the "resin canals", yes they are often present. However, in this case, I'm worried about one specific channel, which extends from the left side of the bridge forward. Since there is a plate under the bridge which effectively sandwiches the top, to me it seems to be "opportunistically" placed, to avoid the possibility a crack developing and running from that point. And granted, I could be talking out my ass here, or worrying about something that might not happen until decades in the future.

The mantra for the cosmetics are, "I must realize this isn't a $3000.00 guitar", and repeat.

I realize I may be adding confusion into the mix instead of clarity, and I apologize for that.
All of these things are signs of the quick construction of an affordable instrument. The "crack waiting to happen" was/is just a shadow like cranky later concluded.

All the issues the TS pointed out are relatively harmless and are very common on lower midrange instruments. Usually one guitar doesn't get as many flaws as the one you have but most guitars of that price will have at least 1 of the issues. If the guitar sounds amazing then keep it and put up with the flaws. The fact that you are questioning whether you should send it back may be an indicator that the guitar doesn't sound amazing. If it doesn't sound amazing send it back.
Not taking any online orders.
Those lines running from the ends of the bridge look suspicious. I would use a mirror and look inside, underneath the top. Probably not a problem. If it sounds good, has good intonation and action I would keep it.
I couldn't tell because all the pictures didn't load for me, but from what I can see, if it's only cosmetic badness to the guitar, but sound quality is still good, then I would keep that guitar. I've gotten and kept guitars that, at first, looked pretty banged up, but played extremely well. To me, physical appearance of guitar comes after playability and construction, in terms of priorities. But that is just me

-Sharky