Hey guys,

so here's my problem:

- I don't have a lot of money.
- I've got a limited edition epiphone SG that I really like the feel of. I want to mod it tho, to suit my personality a bit more.
- I really want a superstrat with a floyd and then mod the shit out of it, I was thinking of some really hardcore modding that will take some time.

Sooooo, should I mod my SG and wait a year and then buy the new axe OR just buy the new axe, mod it and leave the SG for what it is till next year?

Mods I plan to do:

SG:
- Remove neck pickup, maybe use it for an other project in the future
- Install a Duncan Distortion in the bridge
- Do some cosmetic changes
- Remove 1 volume pot, remove 2 tone pots, change the toggleswitch to a killswitch
- New nut

Overal cost: about 150 euros

Strat:
- I really like the JS32 Dinky from Jackson so it's propably gonna be that base guitar
- Remove the neck pickup and fill the route
- Install Ducan Distortion
- Remove tone pot and switch
- Cosmetic changes (including a repaint)

Overal cost: about 450 euros
(I wanna mod a guitar so I'm not gonna buy a 450 euro guitar before any asks)
Buy a used guitar then mod that. You will get a much better guitar to start with that way.

I wouldn't dump all that into a cheap Jackson ever, you can get a better used Jackson or Charvel for $200-$300 then mod that.

Also I'd go with different pickups in each guitar so you have some variety, all of my guitars have different pickups and I'd rather it be that way.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 29, 2016,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Buy a used guitar then mod that. You will get a much better guitar to start with that way.

I wouldn't dump all that into a cheap Jackson ever, you can get a better used Jackson or Charvel for $200-$300 then mod that.

Also I'd go with different pickups in each guitar so you have some variety, all of my guitars have different pickups and I'd rather it be that way.

I propably will, the distortion is going into the dinky. I just haven't found a pickup for the SG yet. Also that 'cheap Jackson' is really nice imo, played one and I'm planning to play another one somewhere else to check if they all are nice overall. It's hard to find used charvels/jacksons/kramer around here (the netherlands). The folks here don't really play these 80s shredders, which is too bad really.
Quote by arjan2602
I propably will, the distortion is going into the dinky. I just haven't found a pickup for the SG yet. Also that 'cheap Jackson' is really nice imo, played one and I'm planning to play another one somewhere else to check if they all are nice overall. It's hard to find used charvels/jacksons/kramer around here (the netherlands). The folks here don't really play these 80s shredders, which is too bad really.

I still wouldn't waist that much on a JS32, they are entry level guitars and nothing more. now if you were just planning on a pickup swap then I say go for it, but with the extent of the mods you want you will be better off buying a better guitar from the start.
Check ebay and your local classifieds

I'm all for modding with in reason.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
check out these guitars, they will be better than the JS32
www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_soloist_slx_mr.htm

www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_m_330r_black.htm

at the end of the day it is your money and your choice so do what makes you happy
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
check out these guitars, they will be better than the JS32
www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_soloist_slx_mr.htm

www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_m_330r_black.htm

at the end of the day it is your money and your choice so do what makes you happy

Thanks, I like ltd aswell. This one looks pretty nice, i'll that a closer look at it tonight.
As for the soloist, I want a bolt on neck. just easier to replace and stuff.
Quote by arjan2602
Thanks, I like ltd aswell. This one looks pretty nice, i'll that a closer look at it tonight.

Having a bolt-on neck makes replacing the neck possible in theory, but in practice its very often the case with guitars that have unconventional neck heel designs that an appropriate replacement is very hard to find. People just don't sell them and those that do for modding and replacement purposes are in a vast minority.

In such situations, its usually the case that repairing the existing neck is the only option. Just as it would be for any guitar that isn't a bolt-on.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 29, 2016,
Just buy a Superstrat that comes stock with just one humbucker in the bridge, instead of going through the trouble of modding. The BC Rich Gunslinger Retro should be in your price range and is IMO better built than the JS32 Jackson's. Plus it comes with a decent Floyd (Floyd Rose Special) whereas the Jackson comes with a cheap knockoff.
T00DEEPBLUE is on the money. Just because the guitar has a bolt-on neck, it's not necessarily "easier to replace and stuff." 99% of all bolt neck guitars never have their neck removed, and there's no guarantee that the neck heel on your guitar is standard enough that there will be necks readily available for it.

My personal feeling (and yours is perfectly valid if it doesn't match this) is that I don't mod a guitar unless there's a real need to do so or unless it's going to make a significant positive change and be able to do something that it couldn't before. Cosmetics don't count.
Quote by dspellman
T00DEEPBLUE is on the money. Just because the guitar has a bolt-on neck, it's not necessarily "easier to replace and stuff." 99% of all bolt neck guitars never have their neck removed, and there's no guarantee that the neck heel on your guitar is standard enough that there will be necks readily available for it.

My personal feeling (and yours is perfectly valid if it doesn't match this) is that I don't mod a guitar unless there's a real need to do so or unless it's going to make a significant positive change and be able to do something that it couldn't before. Cosmetics don't count.

Well it's more like a fun project to do this summer so I don't care if it's a lot of work. And I can always get the exact same neck as replacement or alter a completely new neck to fit the body. (ofcourse i'll try to find one that fits best)
Quote by arjan2602

it may seem that way, but it isn't always that way
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by arjan2602
I can always get the exact same neck as replacement or alter a completely new neck to fit the body. (ofcourse i'll try to find one that fits best)

Sorry, but making a neck fit the neck pocket of another guitar is often a fool's errand. The way a neck heel is shaped can only properly fit a neck of several specific dimensions. Even if you could modify an existing neck, the tools required for such a job would be very expensive, and there's many ways in which the process can go wrong.

If you're desperate to do this, then either get body from a Fender Strat (not a Squier, neck dimensions between them aren't always identical) and a Fender neck. Or get an Ibanez RG and an Ibanez RG neck.

Personally, it just makes so much more sense to get a decent guitar to begin with.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend