The volume of the presets of the Boss ME 50 (multi effect pedal), even when I do 'Factory Restore', is very loud. The difference between the volume level of the bypass and the volume level of all the effects, is huge. The master volume level is also saved in a preset, so it doesn't matter what the level over the volume-knob is when you turn on a preset.
I think when played loud, the pre-amp tubes are over heated, so the sound becomes too thin.
Off course, I can adjust the volume level for each preset but I wonder if Boss had a reason why they put on such an enormous loud level. I Googled this issue but no results.

I have to questions:
1. Is it bad for the amp to receive such a high output level? (Should I adjust all the presets?)
2. Why did Boss made such a high output level?

Jos-Fender
Netherlands
I agree, but you need to know that I blown up a Fender (twice) and a Marshall (in about 6 months) so I began to think what went wrong :-) ....
The complaint that multifx patch levels are too loud or all over the place has been around forever. Apparently there is some conspiracy with FX patch designers to mess with our minds.
Quote by JosFender
I agree, but you need to know that I blown up a Fender (twice) and a Marshall (in about 6 months) so I began to think what went wrong :-) ....
You harmed two of your amps from using the ME50 with them? Or something else was wrong entirely?

Also if you are using amp sims on the unit along with a physical guitar-voiced amp you are going to run into gain staging problems, often heard in the form of terrible volume levels and a bad tone.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 29, 2016,
Well, just do custom presets dude and lower the volume on those. The idea for these preset patches is to beat all the other multifx that the store sells so they think louder=better. Seriously though, Boss is horrible with that stuff, I had to program custom patches for a gig through a PA and it was varying even on my volume matched presets.
I've been using an ME50 quite a bit lately, I've never used the presets on it but I've noticed on other mfx that the volume are all crazy. I've read before that the factory presets aren't really set for normal use though. They're actually set to show off the various capabilities of the gadget first and foremost. Its up to you to make the presets you wanna use.

Personally, I run it with the master volume pretty low anyways and if I want more volume I turn my amp up. I think it sounds best this way.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Will Lane
You harmed two of your amps from using the ME50 with them? Or something else was wrong entirely?

Also if you are using amp sims on the unit along with a physical guitar-voiced amp you are going to run into gain staging problems, often heard in the form of terrible volume levels and a bad tone.

I tried to set the amp(s) as clean as possible, but stil the gain staging problems occured. When in repetition with the band, the amps got very hot (normal hot, but hot, hotter then when I play at home) and I disliked the sound (to thin). I think I have to put down the Boss ME 50 volume , also for the presets. For a better sound when played loud. The 3 accidents with the 2 amps? I don't know the reason. I puzzeled and I came to the output level of the Boss ME 50. But maybe it is just bad luck... It made me buy a solid state Kustom Quad 100, I had enough of the uncertainty of the tubes ...
Quote by diabolical
Well, just do custom presets dude and lower the volume on those. The idea for these preset patches is to beat all the other multifx that the store sells so they think louder=better. Seriously though, Boss is horrible with that stuff, I had to program custom patches for a gig through a PA and it was varying even on my volume matched presets.

I will certainly try to lower down the volumes. Just wanted to check if, for example, dynamic corrections should have to be made when lowering the output signal. Will the sound characteristic stay the same? But I will find out...
Quote by lucky1978
I've been using an ME50 quite a bit lately, I've never used the presets on it but I've noticed on other mfx that the volume are all crazy. I've read before that the factory presets aren't really set for normal use though. They're actually set to show off the various capabilities of the gadget first and foremost. Its up to you to make the presets you wanna use.

Personally, I run it with the master volume pretty low anyways and if I want more volume I turn my amp up. I think it sounds best this way.

I will try to lower them down. Another problem will be solved, the lowest volume on the amp is still to hard in the evening. I had to tic a little to the amp volume knob to find a low volume. One little tic to hard and the volume was to loud :-)