I'm REALLY wanting an acoustic-electric nylon. Its something I would actually have a use for, not just my GAS talking. I prefer thinline because its just more comfortable and I don't have a giant box sitting on my lap when I play sitting.

Anyway budget is around $500. I don't need anything fancy, just a simple EQ, on-board tuner, and durable construction, I don't need all the bells and whistles.

Anyway what are some good brands and/or models to look into. I've looked into a few myself already, but was just curious what UGs input was.

Thanks for your time...

PS

Would this be worth looking into or is it probably a lemon?

http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_ag_detail.php?year=2016&cat_id=3&series_id=93&data_id=103&color=CL01
It's pretty! Looks like a Parlor/classical meld, love the rosette. Never played it so can't comment on how good it is, sorry.

The usual suspects in classical conversations around your pricepoint are Cordoba and Yamaha. I think Cordoba makes better sounding guitars than Yamaha, but that's just my opinion (and probably not worth a damn).

Thinline guitars I like the Yamaha APX-500, but I'm not sure it comes with a nylon string model.
I just bought a "Manuel Rodriguez" Nuevo Flamenco model. Quite nice...... Paid 500 exactly at GC (I think they are available from GC exclusively) and about a week later they put 'em on sale for 400.
The guys gave me the 100 bucks without question and I was able to buy a nice hard-shell case.

Thing has Fishman electrics and (like most instruments in this range) has a solid top and laminate sides and back.
Quote by neptune1988
...[ ]....Would this be worth looking into or is it probably a lemon?

http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_ag_detail.php?year=2016&cat_id=3&series_id=93&data_id=103&color=CL01
Off hand I'd say the laminated top and the thin body are a "double kiss of death", (one on each cheek), toward any sort of great unplugged sound.

Ibanez', in general however, have good sounding on board electronics. So, if you want to practice unplugged, but perform plugged in, the guitar is certainly pretty enough for that.

BTW, I have 2 Ibanez steel string acoustics, (the choices of model were forced on me due to my chronic left handedness), and both are "retired", since they can't match the sound of my Fender (!), "Sonoran", or my Epiphone EJ-200-SCE(s).

Laminated tops tend to kill sustain, and shallow bodies lack depth of bass, (pun not intended), so a double whammy on that Ibby.

Ibanez acoustics are indeed pretty, but they're not the corporate focus, which is electrics.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 30, 2016,
^^^^ Reminds me that I have tried a couple of thinlne Ib nylon strings. Truly awful acoustically, I didn't bother plugging them in. However, as one of the local teachers pointed out a long time ago to me, piezo quack can be an advantage in dull unresponsive nylon strings as it gives them a nice bright edge. It depends what you want it for, plugged or unplugged.
Quote by Captaincranky
Off hand I'd say the laminated top and the thin body are a "double kiss of death", (one on each cheek), toward any sort of great unplugged sound.

Ibanez', in general however, have good sounding on board electronics. So, if you want to practice unplugged, but perform plugged in, the guitar is certainly pretty enough for that.

BTW, I have 2 Ibanez steel string acoustics, (the choices of model were forced on me due to my chronic left handedness), and both are "retired", since they can't match the sound of my Fender (!), "Sonoran", or my Epiphone EJ-200-SCE(s).

Laminated tops tend to kill sustain, and shallow bodies lack depth of bass, (pun not intended), so a double whammy on that Ibby.

Ibanez acoustics are indeed pretty, but they're not the corporate focus, which is electrics.

to that last sentence, yeah Im aware Ibanez has that marketing deception (ie it so pretty MUST sound good - but in reality turn out to be lemony). Not that there aren't good Ibanez acoustics out there, its just Ibanez has been known to favor "appearances over sound" as marketing ploys - especially their cheaper models (ie the dreadful Talman).

the one I linked I wont know until I actually try one out in person, but I was just curious if anyone knew anything about it. But Im still gonna let my ears be the judge next time I stop by the local shops.

and to clarify, I usually practice unplugged and then play plugged.