Hi guys,

I've came across with a guy selling his guitar and it looks like this

Any idea how much is it? And how to know if it's authentic? Thanks!
If you google "fender gretsch telecaster", you can see a couple images of this model. I wouldn't presume to claim this isn't authentic, but in any of those images prominent features are the big Gretsch control knobs, a knob on the treble-side horn, and a gold switch tip. The F-holes on this also look dodgy, the Bigsby is different etc. etc.

Again, I'm not going to make the call myself because I don't know the production history of this model (especially since it was presumably an exclusively Custom Shop thing), but I'm not convinced. The F-holes in particular I can't see anyone at Fender making the conscious decision to make them that shape.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jan 29, 2016,
Thanks for your quick reply. Yeah i also believe that this is not a real fender. There's no serial on the head so 90% fakee right?
Nope. I don't think it looks particularly nice with that hardware on it, and there's also the legal issues associated with fakes, since it goes so far as to carry the Fender logo.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by feedersticks
Given that this fake, would you buy it?

No, consider why fakes are made, because the guitar on its own isn't good enough to be sold with it's own name. And I'm talking about fakes that go so far as to use the company's name. There is a difference between a copy or something (like a yamaha pacifica) and something that is an illegal copy in this instance with the copied company's name on there.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Jan 29, 2016,
i'm not ready to call it a fake just yet, fender has made some weird shit in japan.

the three screw trc is what's keeping me in doubts.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by feedersticks
Given that this fake, would you buy it?

nope. i wouldn't touch it.

its a forgery.

if somebody gave you a fake $100 for $80 in real money if you knew that the $100 bill was counterfeit? i sure as hell wouldn't.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Only the seller can tell you the price, and as Ippon posted, it could be legit.

I've seen other builders make similar guitars, too. Hi-Tone made a hardtail 12-string like that, for instance. Sounded killer.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
That guitar probably sounds great and it looks fantastic. I do not think it is a telecaster in my way of thinking a telecaster has a solid body with a single coil pickup in the bridge and the usual kind of single coil they have at the neck, that is a telecaster. This is a fine guitar with a body shape similar to a telecaster. No disrespect intended.
Quote by yope
That guitar probably sounds great and it looks fantastic. I do not think it is a telecaster in my way of thinking a telecaster has a solid body with a single coil pickup in the bridge and the usual kind of single coil they have at the neck, that is a telecaster. This is a fine guitar with a body shape similar to a telecaster. No disrespect intended.

umm did you not read and see all the pics above, fender DID team up with gretsch and they did make a guitar that looked very much like this...

along with everyone else here though OP, i do have doubts about the legitimacy of the guitar given the pictures Ippon posted and the ones you posted, the orange version and yours have different fret markers, not to say that's a dead giveaway but it's ringing bells.

the pickups also look different and i think the biggest giveaway imo is the potato quality of the pictures. anyone wishing to sell any guitar at any spec level usually takes some decent, steady pictures of the full front, full back, front of body, back of body and both sides of the head, that's really the minimum requirement of pictures people should be taking to sell guitars.

by all means go and try it out and see what you can get it for, but don't be handing money over believing that you're buying a 100% genuine product, only the seller really knows if it's genuine or not and i'm sure they won't tell you if it isn't, but just seeing the pictures posted above, i wouldn't be comfortable saying to anyone "yes, that's a genuine guitar"
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Jan 30, 2016,
Quote by Dempsey68
along with everyone else here though OP, i do have doubts about the legitimacy of the guitar given the pictures Ippon posted and the ones you posted, the orange version and yours have different fret markers, not to say that's a dead giveaway but it's ringing bells.

...and, in the photos Ippon posted, there are more defined F-holes, a different hardware setup (much Gretschier - Gretsch knobs and gold switch, and a knob on the treble side upper bout), gold hardware including the tuners but a nickel or chrome bridge and tailpiece, and no visible neck-end strap button where it is on the one OP posted.

I know I've already said most of that, and gregs1020 makes a fair point (though one with which, in this case, I tend to disagree, if not necessarily with absolute certainty), but I think we should be clear that the guitar OP posted differs from the Custom Shop Tele6120 that Google will show you in quite a number of ways.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Nope. I don't think it looks particularly nice with that hardware on it, and there's also the legal issues associated with fakes, since it goes so far as to carry the Fender logo.

It's completely legal to own a fake. It's illegal to sell it and not tell anyone it's a fake.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by K33nbl4d3

It's completely legal to own a fake. It's illegal to sell it and not tell anyone it's a fake.

Quote by Kevin Saale
No, consider why fakes are made, because the guitar on its own isn't good enough to be sold with it's own name. And I'm talking about fakes that go so far as to use the company's name. There is a difference between a copy or something (like a yamaha pacifica) and something that is an illegal copy in this instance with the copied company's name on there.

Plenty of fakes are accidentally good. People put "FENDER" on top because it brings more cash, even if you do admit it's a fake. I've seen people sell fake Gibson Les Pauls on craigslist and still get $600 for them because they play well.

Quote by Dempsey68
by all means go and try it out and see what you can get it for, but don't be handing money over believing that you're buying a 100% genuine product, only the seller really knows if it's genuine or not and i'm sure they won't tell you if it isn't, but just seeing the pictures posted above, i wouldn't be comfortable saying to anyone "yes, that's a genuine guitar"

Ignore yope, he's a blockhead. Also, I mirror this sentiment. Ask the guy if he has a certificate of authenticity, a guitar like that would undoubtedly have one. Ask to get a picture of the serial number. If he doesn't have one, just say "I think that may be a copy."

If the response is something like "Me, too," then see if you can wiggle the price down. Play it, you might love it. Who knows? I don't think they'd put those Sperzels and a Bigsby on a total piece of shit, that's what the Squier cult does.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Jan 30, 2016,
Ask the guy if he has a certificate of authenticity, a guitar like that would undoubtedly have one. Ask to get a picture of the serial number. If he doesn't have one, just say "I think that may be a copy."

Sensible.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!