Ho everybody,
which is/are the best techs to play this arpeggios:

I mean how is the correct picking using plectrum, (not finger picking, of course) when you play an arpeggio where you have to jump over (skip) one or more strings of the guitar?

Essentially, when have I to upstroke, not only in the rounded bar, but for all 4 bars (they are always the same...).
Many thanks for a reply!
Last edited by Theiamania at Jan 30, 2016,
Quote by jerrykramskoy
If you use alternate picking normally, then that's fine.

If you use economy picking, then

u d d u d d u d for that section (u - up, d - down)

Okay jerry, but two question:
1) Why, when use alternate and when economy? Cause alternate seem to be great for scale but not for arpeggios. I think...

2 ) in your eceonomy pickinf suggested, the first shoul maybe d, as weel, so d d d u d d u d...
why the first is U? I go down ...

THX!
Quote by Theiamania
Okay jerry, but two question:
1) Why, when use alternate and when economy? Cause alternate seem to be great for scale but not for arpeggios. I think...

2 ) in your eceonomy pickinf suggested, the first shoul maybe d, as weel, so d d d u d d u d...
why the first is U? I go down ...

THX!

I use economy picking primarily ... it's what I learned ... so I use it for everything. But if you can bo both, great.

If you economy pick your example, then the note prior to the passage you marked out is on the D string, so the smallest motion to the bass E string (your first note in the passage) is an up-stroke.
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Jan 30, 2016,
Quote by jerrykramskoy
I use economy picking primarily ... it's what I learned ... so I use it for everything. But if you can bo both, great.

If you economy pick your example, then the note prior to the passage you marked out is on the D string, so the smallest motion to the bass E string (your first note in the passage) is an up-stroke.

Ah, okay, I understand now!
Anyway, where can I find learning resources about economy picking? Can you suggest some method or link site where can where I can go into that?

Many thanks!
The concept for economy picking is extremely simple.

When on a string, alternate pick until you change strings.

If you're changing from bass to treble string, use a down stroke to start playing that treble string (i.e. don't overshoot, and come back at it with an up stroke).

If you're changing from treble to bass string, use an up stroke to start playing that bass string (don't overshoot and come back at it with a down stroke).

That's it, honest!

The initial choice of up- or down- is not that crucial, as it all falls into place once you cross strings.

But if you're good at alternate picking, keep that skill going, even if you decide to try economy picking.
I often combine economy and alternate even in the same lick. I find certain parts of a lick easier to play with different picking styles, and of course, sometimes one way sounds better. I highly recommend learning both styles, and incorporating both styles. Over a long period of time, you may decide one way is better than the other, or even use both like myself. But I would certainly take the time to learn both.
Quote by esky15
I personally would down pick that whole section.

Me too, if I was keeping to the pick.

Personally I'd probably hybrid pick it, though
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I'd alt pick with the string skipping. But without knowing where the accents are, it's hard to say exactly. Often it's better to keep downstrokes on the accents, even if they're not on the downbeats (ie, groups of 3 8ths or 16ths).

It looks like the grouping is 3 3 2, so you might try downstrokes on those accents. That is, duu duu du.
Last edited by cdgraves at Jan 31, 2016,