I've been confused about this for a while. The acoustic (taylor 214) has very low action and plays incredibly. Despite lowering the action on the strat (american standard) as far as it could go, i couldn't get it to play as snappily and smoothly as the 214. Even legato is easier on the acoustic.

I don't really get it. Shouldn't the strat generally be easier to play? The only thing it has on the Taylor is tone (i just prefer electric) and string bending. I wish I could find an electric guitar that played exactly like my 214, but I've yet to .
I have an 814ce. Helluva guitar.

Your strat, however, should generally be easier to play. This is especially true if you have 9's or 10's on the thing and *if you have a really good setup.*
Maybe you don't like the fretboard radius on the Strat?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
strat doesn't always mean fast and easy .... I have one with a 7.5 radius with vintage frets and it was no shred machine at all ..... did have some medium jumbo stainless steel frets installed on that same guitar and it sped it up a bunch ....... my 14 radius with jumbo frets are my fast strats
Quote by Tony Done
An interesting and unusual observation. What strings are you using on the two guitars? FWIW, the 214 is one of my all-round favourite acoustics, at least in the high-middle price range.

I use light martins on the 214 and ernie ball 10's on the strat. The strat action is pretty high because otherwise it buzzes and sounds bad. I really love that SRV tone and I think you need fairly high action for that.

I LOVE the 214. Mine is 10 years old this year and it's still the best playing guitar I've ever played, period.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Maybe you don't like the fretboard radius on the Strat?

That's possible. I haven't been able to play a lot of guitars in my lifetime because I'm left-handed. It's a frustrating realization for me. I've been playing the strat almost exclusively lately in order to work on my lead playing. I finally re-strung and cleaned up the 214 yesterday, and playing it was a breeze compared to the constant struggle I feel w/ the strat.
Quote by RyanMW2010
The strat action is pretty high because otherwise it buzzes and sounds bad. I really love that SRV tone and I think you need fairly high action for that.

You probably don't need fairly high action for SRV tone. But that's preference.
The business about the strat action being pretty high because otherwise it buzzes is not. That's an issue with setup and possibly with fret level, maybe with the radius of the fretboard.
Quote by dspellman
You probably don't need fairly high action for SRV tone. But that's preference.
The business about the strat action being pretty high because otherwise it buzzes is not. That's an issue with setup and possibly with fret level, maybe with the radius of the fretboard.

Thanks. I was thinking about bringing it to a teach to have a fret dressing. Would that fix the fret level issue?
Quote by RyanMW2010
I've been confused about this for a while. The acoustic (taylor 214) has very low action and plays incredibly. Despite lowering the action on the strat (american standard) as far as it could go, i couldn't get it to play as snappily and smoothly as the 214. Even legato is easier on the acoustic.

I don't really get it. Shouldn't the strat generally be easier to play? The only thing it has on the Taylor is tone (i just prefer electric) and string bending. I wish I could find an electric guitar that played exactly like my 214, but I've yet to .

Strats are somewhat bulky guitars.

Try an Ernie Ball Musicman ( Silhouette Special etc.) if you want a smaller and smoother neck.
Quote by RyanMW2010
I use light martins on the 214 and ernie ball 10's on the strat. The strat action is pretty high because otherwise it buzzes and sounds bad. I really love that SRV tone and I think you need fairly high action for that.

Well there lies, at least, part of the issue:

Try a set of 9's or even 9 lights (9-42). Then either accept that it won't be particularly fast/easy to play due to the action (getting SRV tones) or get it set up properly for low action and faster playing.
Im not surprised. The biggest difference is probably the neck width, but especially the ebony fretboard on the 214--ebony is a very fast, slick wood for as far as fretboards go. The Strat also likely has a slightly bowed neck and needs a proper setup and a good fret dress.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬