Hi i just wondering is there anyway to make a booster pedal or something to brighten up my tone and stuff while i'm doing solos and stuff. You guys might wonder why don't i jsut go and buy a booster pedal instead the answer is i wanted to know if i can build a booster pedal to save a bit of money instead of buying one? If there is please show me some guides to build one? thank you.
First off you need to decide exactly what you want. There are many kinds of boost pedals out there, treble boosters, clean boosters, distortion pedals, overdrives, equalizers, and even compressors. You have to figure out what kind of boost you want, and before that you have to figure out what kind of sound you want. So that's what we'll start with.

What kind of sound do you want? By that I mean, what tone? What band, guitarist, etc do you want to sound like? I don't mean exactly, I just mean generally. Give examples or youtube vidoes or whatever. Be descriptive.

Tell us what kind of gear you have already, that will help us to know where to go.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Jan 30, 2016,
Quote by Kevin Saale
What kind of sound do you want? By that I mean, what tone? What band, guitarist, etc do you want to sound like? I don't mean exactly, I just mean generally. Give examples or youtube videos or whatever. Be descriptive.

The guitarist that i wanted the tone is John Petrucci. Just like in The best of time solo
I wanted to use the pedal with my TC electronic Hall of fame reverb to create really sharp tone. so i think i wanted a treble booster to makes the sound really cut through the other instrument in my band when i'm doing solos

just to be clear this is exactly what i want
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iarxpLMdtR4
What amp, guitar, and pedals are you using right now?
I'm using Schecter Banshee active (emgs pup)
Amp Solid state Amp (Randall V2XM)
Pedal Old zoom G1XNext
Basicly good guitar with bad gear
If you want Petrucci tone then you are going to need to ditch the EMGs and get some kind of tube amp, a boost pedal won't help when you are starting out with active pickups and a solid state Randall.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
^+1
You need a Mesa Mark III/IV or V or something in that family like a DC-3.

You can get pedal kits that contain everything you need to build a pedal and variations of those pedals
http://buildyourownclone.com/
www.generalguitargadgets.com/

both have decent kits
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, building pedals can be fun, but I don't think any kind of pedal will get you closer to petrucci's tone.
+1 on getting a tube amp before building a treble booster or something similar. One of the main effects of a booster is pushing a tube amp further into overdrive. When I built my treble booster I tested it out in a little ss amp, and it made minimal difference, while it sounds amazing through my tube amp
^ Probably a load of crap

Gear

PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Squier Strat
Washburn D10SCE

Vox AC30C2
Roland MicroCube
Fender frontman 15G