I've recently been getting excited about the idea of building an ultra-portable rig around the Quilter 101 mini head. I'd love to put together a 2×10 cab to use with it. The question is, what design to follow? I'm not particularly interested in reinventing the wheel so to speak - just looking for a nudge in the right direction of a good build thread, blog, or I'd even be willing to purchase a design document if priced right. Obviously I want it to sound great, but small and light is a main objective here!

Tone-wise I'm looking for a pristine clean tone. Don't use distortion / OD very often.

Thanks for any input.
use 1/2" plywood instead of 3/4" and look at Neodymium speakers to save weight. also open back will help relieve weight and when a cab is open back the dimensions of the cab do not matter.

if you want a closed back then the volume of the cab will matter and speakers have different optimum space/volume they run at and you should find out what those are before you start.

also angling the baffle will help you hear it best. I run a 2x12 cab on end so I get a mini stack and the speakers are a little closer to my ears and the amp sits closer to you also so EQ adjustments are easy.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 30, 2016,
Quote by Robbgnarly
also open back will help relieve weight and when a cab is open back the dimensions of the cab do not matter.
Is this really true? I don't need to be careful about dimensions from an acoustical stand point at all if it's open-backed? That would make life easier

Any suggestions for a good tutorial / build diary for putting together something like this?
Quote by wideyes
Is this really true? I don't need to be careful about dimensions from an acoustical stand point at all if it's open-backed? That would make life easier

Any suggestions for a good tutorial / build diary for putting together something like this?

yeah it is true, but only for open back cabs.

Here read this
www.duncanamps.com/technical/speaker_cab.html
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by wideyes

There are some good suggestions here:
http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/construction.html
Quote by Robbgnarly
Quote by dspellman
There are some good suggestions here:
http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/construction.html
Thanks guys - just the kind of info I'm looking for! There's lots of stuff floating around on the internets, but I figured I'd get better guidance from resources that have already been vetted by y'all
Oh, and if any proud UG members have built a similar project and want to show off their babies here... I'd love that