Recently grabbed hold of some all tubey goodness! It's been about 15 years since I let go of my old SVT II Pro. Been rocking a GK 1001 RB-II since then.

I've been looking at a couple of different options - a tube pre & power amp tandem, the MB Fusion, and primarily the SVT 3 Pro - until I came across a local CL ad. It was for a Traynor YBA 200-2, for $400. A quick check at the GC used inventory had them at $600-$650. GAS was kicking in hard, I wanted this thing bad.

I emailed him about any trade interests. I ended up trading away a JamHub TourBus. I'd had it for more than 3 years and never used it, was still in the plastic, in the box. It was part of the grand prize from a D'Addario sweeps.

So, I just got a sweet tube amp, and it didn't cost me a thing. The previous owner changed one of the preamp tubes from a 12AX7 to a 12AT7, and I did the other. Got nice headroom and some breakup toward the top of the gain.

I did a comparison with my GK. I've had them plugged into my SWR Workingman's Tower 8x10, with the tweeter rolled off. Played through a passive sunburst tort-wearing P with 3 year old flats, tone wide open. My goal was to make the GK sound like the Traynor, with the Traynor's gain at 1:00 and all eq's set at 12:00. With the GK set at - Input 1:00, Contour and Presence at 7:00, Treble and High Mid at 12:00, Low Mid at 2:00, Bass at 11:00, Boost at 9:30, all buttons out - I hit the tone right on, but the GK is still more defined.

This thing has a naturally sweet tone - fat, warm, and rich. The eq controls are cut only, and their effects are rather mild. It has some scooping options, but otherwise doesn't have a really wide tonal palette. I think it has a great natural tone and have been playing with the eq's at 12:00. Thoroughly digging my new tube amp!
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Last edited by deeptubes at Jan 30, 2016,
sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?