and does playing both help your playing on either? as in: playing in the pocket better (more easily?), having a better groove or having a better musical rapport with the bassist or drummer?

or does it do nothing for your playing on the other instrument besides make you wish you could split in two and be your own one(?) man rhythm section?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I dabble with drums, but one thing that I did early on was study vocalists and drummers and applied some of those ideas and techniques. Specifically with drums, I studied rudiments and applied it to tapping.

Using paradiddles as an example. RLRR LRLL.

Right and Left sticks equate to right and left hand. Notes don't have to be consistant, so the double strokes can become hammer ones or pull offs for example. Makes for some interesting ideas and I feel improves hand independence.
I think knowing how to play multiple instruments always makes you a better musician. It may not improve your playing per se, but it will improve your musical knowledge. It may also give you new ideas. When you can play the drums, it's easier to come up with a drum groove and that may inspire you to write a whole song.

If you want to become a better bassist, play bass. If you want to become a better drummer, play drums. Learning another instrument may of course change your approach to music. It does improve you as a musician, but not really as a bass player.

As a musician you want to also understand other instruments. And the best way of understanding other instruments is to learn to play them, at least at a basic level. So again, learning drums will improve you as a musician, but not really as a bass player. It may give you new ideas, though, but you'll only become good at playing the bass by playing the bass.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
what MM said. I played piano before drums, drums before guitar, then guitar, and finally bass (I'm still mainly a guitar player).

They all helped, and some helped a lot- as MM said, knowing what the other instruments are doing is a big help. But I'm not sure they'd help as much, if you only want to play one instrument, as playing that instrument from the start. I kind of fell into those other instruments, and I'm glad I played them in a way, but in another way I'm kind of annoyed I didn't start guitar (and bass) sooner which may have helped more
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I play passable drums being married to a drummer. Yes it does help you quite a bit with staying I the groove and locking with your fellow rhythm section member
Playing drums and other instruments won't make you a more skilled bass guitarist but it will make you a much better musician and band member. Notice how playing rhythm guitar or bass prevents the lead singer from being an arsehole.

Everyone should learn keys and percussion. It will help when it comes to locking in with your band, it will help with writing new material and it will force you to have a good knowledge of music theory and rhythms.

Even a toy keyboard and a cajon are going to see you vastly improve.